*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Which Transit Custom to Choose?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Which Transit Custom to Choose?

Postby Spencey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Hey guys,

Been having a look at the various options for a transit custom but they all seem to come with issues. Myself and the wife already have a mk7 LWB, medium roof converted to a camper-van. We've got a big Alaskan Malamute and are into road & mountain biking and skiing/snowboarding so are thinking of ditching our VW passat estate in favour of a transit custom limited. Now the question is which one?

The panel van comes in the limited spec that we want (air con and full parking sensors etc). Ideally we want to be able to carry as many people as the car can but have the flexibility and extra space a van provides. Basically a day van. Looking at the earlier posts our idea of fitting tourneo or Kombi seats straight into a panel van isn't going to work without a lot of fabrication.

The DCIV option seemed good until we realised that the seats in that don't actually fold and aren't removable. If they had done all we'd have had to do was remove the bulkhead and do any further lining required.

So the third option was the Kombi. That seemed great until we realised that for some strange reason Ford don't actually do the Kombi in the trim levels that we want and that all other versions of the van come in. Would it be an option to spec up a Kombi to try and match the limited spec, or is that just going to cost an arm and a leg?

Fourth and final Standard option was to go for a Tourneo but looking at the price list you pay a premium for car features to a row of seats that will be used only rarely and a third row of seats that we'd be removing anyway to get the dogs crate in.

That leaves us thinking that the best option might be to go for a DCIV, remove the bulkhead, buy a set of 60/40 Tourneo/Kombi seats and just mount them to the already prepped interior. Could anyone please advise, if we went ahead with this, will the Tourneo/Kombi seats bolt into the fixings for the DCIV standard bench seat? if not are there mounting points already present in the floor pan to take this kind of seat?

Any advice would be really helpful. I've also put this post elsewhere, moderators feel free to remove if not in right place.

Cheers
Dave
Using Tapatalk
Spencey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Which Transit Custom to Choose?

Postby Wadey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:23 pm

I wanted the extra room and more seats but eventually wanted to make it in to a camper
So I brought a limited that's has all the extras I wanted had my Ford dealer for windows and extra seas the seats ain't foldable but they are removable I wanted the folding toreno seats but that means the floor had to be raised etc etc etc and with the top spec dciv you will get twin side loaders witch I did t want as it's useless as a camper conversion
Mines a lwb limeted with 6 seats ply lined and had the windows and carpeted out and dose everything I want it to eventually I will swap the seats for a rock and roll bed
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Custom