*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Is it worth fitting a second battery?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Is it worth fitting a second battery?

Postby SteveOh » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:33 am

Hi fellas.
I'm thinking about fitting a second battery with Sterling charger etc. but it just seems like a lot of money.

Can someone tell me the benefits please?

Thankee
it's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits
SteveOh
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Is it worth fitting a second battery?

Postby mistericeman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:40 am

Depends what you're wanting to do with the second battery...
We have 3 x 100ah leisure batteries in the back of our camper to power a 3000w inverter for microwave/toaster/kettle/slow cooker....
Batteries are charged via a Durite voltage sensing split charge relay (about £40) and 2 X 100w solar panels on the roof....
So we can park up anywhere and not need electric hook up.

mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby moley551 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:44 am

As you said the only way that gives a reliable system would be with the battery to battery charger, I've given up with the smart relay split charging system it doesn't work anything like previous vans, I now just charge the leisure battery overnight as I think connecting it to the van actually lowers it's charge level. I'm going to look at solar panels for my next van.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mistericeman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:59 am

moley551 wrote:As you said the only way that gives a reliable system would be with the battery to battery charger, I've given up with the smart relay split charging system it doesn't work anything like previous vans, I now just charge the leisure battery overnight as I think connecting it to the van actually lowers it's charge level. I'm going to look at solar panels for my next van.

Not had a single issue with the Durite VSR.... simple to fit an reliable....
it also allows the vehicle battery to be charged by the solar panels once the leisure batteries are fully charged.
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby moley551 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:11 pm

mistericeman wrote:
moley551 wrote:As you said the only way that gives a reliable system would be with the battery to battery charger, I've given up with the smart relay split charging system it doesn't work anything like previous vans, I now just charge the leisure battery overnight as I think connecting it to the van actually lowers it's charge level. I'm going to look at solar panels for my next van.

it also allows the vehicle battery to be charged by the solar panels once the leisure batteries are fully charged.

Has your van got smart regenerative charging? the VSR worked fine in my previous vans but it has always been weak in the Custom.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mistericeman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:18 pm

moley551 wrote:
mistericeman wrote:

Has your van got smart regenerative charging? the VSR worked fine in my previous vans but it has always been weak in the Custom.

AHHH nail on the head there ....VSR's dont like "Smart" alternators.
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby BHM » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:27 am

mistericeman wrote:
moley551 wrote:

AHHH nail on the head there ....VSR's dont like "Smart" alternators.

SMART charging can/may be disabled on the Custom.....
a wire needs altering iirc.....think its in the BEMM :roll:

BHM
BHM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby yasser » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:43 pm

BHM wrote:

AHHH nail on the head there ....VSR's dont like "Smart" alternators.[/quote]

SMART charging can/may be disabled on the Custom.....
a wire needs altering iirc.....think its in the BEMM :roll:

BHM[/quote]

I thought that this solution has been discussed both on this forum and on the internet and I think the outcome was that long term disabling causes damage. Don't ask me what as I haven't got a clue but something is ringing a bell.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Custom