*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Speaker upgrade !?!

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Speaker upgrade !?!

Postby S60r » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:25 am

I didn't try, but I think it will easily. Once the oem ring is removed the hole in the door is huge, I did consider 9x6 or 7's but I had already bought the 6.5's and I have a sub bass so didn't go that route.

You'll obviously have to offer them in with the window down to make sure there are no fouling issues on the mechanism but my guess is yes..... a much larger speaker is easily achievable for space. You'll obviously have to fashion a larger ring/spacer but I'm sure it's do able.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby transcendent » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:02 pm

I finally fitted my focal door speakers and dynamat.

But it seems I need to do more as the head units is Low power for sure.
New to Transit the world
transcendent
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cycleguy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:17 am

Can anyone that has done the speaker upgrade tell me what is the max mounting depth available in the front doors

Thanks
cycleguy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:14 am

Not much at all. I would estimate 50mm max.....I will be doing my other door soon and I'll measure exactly. Even the oem woeful paper speaker has a spacer and mounting plate in plastic.

Literally any speaker you fit will require a spacer or making an MDF mount as I did to enable fitting. The good news is the depth coming the other way (to the door card) is large so even a 9x6 would fit once the appropriate spacer had been made.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cycleguy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:26 am

Ok thanks for that if you could measure the total depth including the spacer that will be a great help im thinking about installing a pair of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pair-vienna-a ... Sw32lYu-TJ
cycleguy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:49 pm

you obviously know they are not car speakers!!

I know some do fit home audio into their cars, but mostly that isn't possible as the depth is huge and the need for a big amp to control the cone.

No depth is listed on that eBay link but it looks around 100mm from the pictures... definitely not made for a van door! :shock:
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cyton » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:54 pm

cycleguy wrote:Ok thanks for that if you could measure the total depth including the spacer that will be a great help im thinking about installing a pair of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pair-vienna-a ... Sw32lYu-TJ

117mm with adapter ring. And that's just because of the rail for the window. In the centre or left side it's deeper than i could measure with the calipter. So beyond 160mm. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cyton
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby cyton » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:57 pm

So even these will fit.. Not sure if the door will like it :lol: 5kg

DD Audio - 506b D2 6,5"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cyton
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby crobaa » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:49 am

Hey guys, I've just picked up a 2017 model and need to upgrade the speakers, if I was to buy the JL Audio splits posted earlier is it a matter of simply splicing into the factory wiring on the woofer, and also on the tweeter. Basically cut the old speakers out and solder on the new ones? I'm happy to spend a little bit more for speakers also, what would be the best jl splits I could run off the factory head unit? I believe the 2017 head unit is better than the 2014 also but don't quote me on that, thanks
crobaa

Previous

Return to Transit Custom