*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Brand new EURO 6 transit problems

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Brand new EURO 6 transit problems

Postby markw123 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:59 pm

mine is all fixed and all good so far... doesnt feel as fast and torquey as my old re mapped 125bhp model but its only got 3k on it.

snowie i feel for you.. sh*t luck and very poor customer service

maybe an email to the MD like i did..?
markw123
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby biged83 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:44 pm

I am a new member but not new to ford, note the small f for ford as I have lost respect for them yet again. I took delivery of a new York engine transit years ago that suffered with bent cranks and con rods due to bad starting. I have now taken delivery of a new ford custom that suddenly stopped in middle of motorway while overtaking no brakes to shout about but I did not want to stop just get to the hard shoulder but the lack of steering made this hard eventually grinding to a halt in middle lane causing a lot of anguish and horror to vehicles confronted to a stationary vehicle in a motorway lane. Luck was on my side the vehicle restarted and I drove on, no warnings were observed by me from the vehicle. I started to ask questions and look for answers, nothing happened till a couple of weeks later I noticed a few seconds of service required now and explanation mark at about 50mph going uphill this happened several times with a drop of power rather like running out of fuel. The next time when I was going through a double mini roundabout the engine again stopped again causing me to go over the roundabout and pulling like mad on the steering was able to avoid a wall, the steering is far heavier the slower you go and is far heavier than any Lorry or tractor I have driven, brakes are unresponsive not that it is easy wrestling with steering and brakes at the same time. As this was the second time and not just a fluke and was obviously very dangerous I contacted ford to ask them to look at it, a few days later I dropped it off at 8.30am they phoned me later, it needed four injectors. Why, how the last injector I had taken out of a vehicle was back in 1980 on a BMC 350FG. Injectors seamed to me to last for ever, They told me overnight delivery I could pick it up next day, next day no contact, went to see them sorry two days delivery then before end of week then Tuesday then Thursday then Tuesday again. This was from ford Customer services as I had contacted them as soon as I realized it was injectors. At this time I was getting annoyed when they admitted they had no firm date for delivery as our holiday was due I ask them to put it together again and I would drive carefully till they get the parts. Answer was they could not stop me taking the Vehicle but it was dangerous and because I knew about the fault then all warranties would be void. The moral is if you know about a fault keep it to yourself until after it is fixed and of course don't buy new wait till after the bugs are fixed.
In a proper world ford would have been forced by VOSA to act as it is extremely dangerous because like all manufactures customers once caught are the least of their worries, Vosa will not act unless they know of a problem so why not report the problems. Yes as you would have guessed I am writing about the March 2017 reg adblue 130 lwb 11 seater ford custom.
For comparisons The new Vivaro has a brilliant digital speedo, seems as powerful with it twin turbo, lower to the ground, good on fuel, whisper quite with good ride soaking up the bumps. slightly better headroom. excellent phone, useless seating arrangement, useless miniscule camera in mirror, mine self combusted with 6 wks use of electrical gremlings. Just like the Zaffira
So bought the ford custom with its phone I have to shout at, far noisier interior, very bad fuel consumption, harsh ride, better seating arrangement, useless screens, satnav, infotainment useless but better camera. Stupid heater controls and cig lighter. Both vehicle top spec fitted wheelchair ramps so practically empty
biged83

Postby snowie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Got mine back on 1st June, with (eventually) all four injectors now replaced.
Not had much chance to use it over any distance, but so far, no more errors.
Fuel consumption not good at 33mpg, and honestly cannot see that improving to estimated 40+mpg, as suggested by dealership.
From me picking it up, to when all 4 injectors were eventually replaced, was 88 days. It was in Ford dealership for 43 of those days.
Sent a letter to Ford customer services, making a complaint and looking for compensation.
Won't be holding my breath :x :x
snowie
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Largada » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Dealer just took delivery of my m-sport custom and was looking forward to picking it up Saturday. Was is the word as the dealer just phoned to say whilst prepping 3/4 injectors come up faulty. In one way disappointed but in another at least it'll get sorted before it even goes on the road!
Been told it'll be 2week delay and they are replacing all 4 injectors! Let's hope this is the only problem with this engine!
Beware Badgers Bite
Largada
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Ryanjones0143 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:33 pm

So is this a problem with EVERY euro 6 engine? I've just taken delivery of a 170ps Limited. But I can't drive it yet as I'm recovering from a broken leg lol.

Is this something that I'm going to come up against?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryanjones0143
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby snowie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Largada, please make sure that all 4 injectors are replaced, and that the dealer knows 4 must be replaced.
I told my local dealer that the word from Ford was to replace all 4.
However, Ford told them just to replace only faulty injector, so they only replaced 1.
Then it was back in, and they replaced another 2, as they were instructed to do so by Ford UK.
This left one original injector plus 3 new, replaced injectors.
Then the one remaining old injector showed up as faulty.
Unfortunately dealer then replaced one which had already been replaced, so faulty injector was still fitted.
Then dealer swapped old injector with one of the replacements. (Thinking a faulty one would work in a different position! :? )
Finally, they replaced the last remaining old/faulty injector, and so far it's been okay.
But in the first 88 days I had the van, it was with the repair shop for 43 days.
So pissed off with Ford UK as they knew all along that all 4 injectors should be replaced. :evil:
Added to that, I'm still only managing average 31mpg, even although Ford UK, local dealer, and company who converted it to campervan say I should be getting around 40 mpg!
In my dreams! :(
Good luck with yours!
snowie
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby snowie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:44 am

Ryan, as far as I'm aware, Ford know all about this 'potential' problem with all Euro 6 engines.
However, they do not know which 'specific' engines are affected.
The way they are dealing with it is to wait until the customer reports a problem.
If someone reports this problem with their engine, they have said the local Ford dealer should replace all 4 injectors.
In my case however, they tried to replace only the injectors which indicated a problem.
Which after so much hassle, so many visits to the dealer, and so often not having my van, they eventually replaced all injectors, as all showed an error.
Also, the fault appears quite prevalent in vans which have been converted to a campervan.
Apparently this is due to the van, (during the conversion process), being constantly started and stopped, as it is moved in and out of the workshop.
The engine is heated up while running, but only for a very short period, and this causes moisture to settle on the injector, which in turn causes 'rust' to form on the injector,
which in turn causes a malfunction in the way the fuel is injected.
The company who converted my van to a campervan said this was nonsense, as the van is brought into the workshop, and more or less leaves the workshop when completed.
To be honest, I don't know who to believe, but i do know that all four injectors have to be replaced to solve the problem.
snowie
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Largada » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:06 am

snowie wrote:Largada, please make sure that all 4 injectors are replaced, and that the dealer knows 4 must be replaced.

Good luck with yours!

Raised it as soon as they said! Apparently main Ford Dealers have access to a action line if they log it via that number they get priority access and authorisation to change all four. Might be bull but we shall see.

In a way glad it's getting sorted before I even take delivery and experience the joy of limp mode!

It's stupid engine diagnostics that cause the problem as injectors running at 90% efficiency you likely wouldn't even notice!

Apart from a bit of fuel efficiency which let's face it in a van isn't the best anyway!
Beware Badgers Bite
Largada
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Markwalsh » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:18 pm

biged83 wrote:I am a new member but not new to ford, note the small f for ford as I have lost respect for them yet again. I took delivery of a new York engine transit years ago that suffered with bent cranks and con rods due to bad starting. I have now taken delivery of a new ford custom that suddenly stopped in middle of motorway while overtaking no brakes to shout about but I did not want to stop just get to the hard shoulder but the lack of steering made this hard eventually grinding to a halt in middle lane causing a lot of anguish and horror to vehicles confronted to a stationary vehicle in a motorway lane. Luck was on my side the vehicle restarted and I drove on, no warnings were observed by me from the vehicle. I started to ask questions and look for answers, nothing happened till a couple of weeks later I noticed a few seconds of service required now and explanation mark at about 50mph going uphill this happened several times with a drop of power rather like running out of fuel. The next time when I was going through a double mini roundabout the engine again stopped again causing me to go over the roundabout and pulling like mad on the steering was able to avoid a wall, the steering is far heavier the slower you go and is far heavier than any Lorry or tractor I have driven, brakes are unresponsive not that it is easy wrestling with steering and brakes at the same time. As this was the second time and not just a fluke and was obviously very dangerous I contacted ford to ask them to look at it, a few days later I dropped it off at 8.30am they phoned me later, it needed four injectors. Why, how the last injector I had taken out of a vehicle was back in 1980 on a BMC 350FG. Injectors seamed to me to last for ever, They told me overnight delivery I could pick it up next day, next day no contact, went to see them sorry two days delivery then before end of week then Tuesday then Thursday then Tuesday again. This was from ford Customer services as I had contacted them as soon as I realized it was injectors. At this time I was getting annoyed when they admitted they had no firm date for delivery as our holiday was due I ask them to put it together again and I would drive carefully till they get the parts. Answer was they could not stop me taking the Vehicle but it was dangerous and because I knew about the fault then all warranties would be void. The moral is if you know about a fault keep it to yourself until after it is fixed and of course don't buy new wait till after the bugs are fixed.
In a proper world ford would have been forced by VOSA to act as it is extremely dangerous because like all manufactures customers once caught are the least of their worries, Vosa will not act unless they know of a problem so why not report the problems. Yes as you would have guessed I am writing about the March 2017 reg adblue 130 lwb 11 seater ford custom.
For comparisons The new Vivaro has a brilliant digital speedo, seems as powerful with it twin turbo, lower to the ground, good on fuel, whisper quite with good ride soaking up the bumps. slightly better headroom. excellent phone, useless seating arrangement, useless miniscule camera in mirror, mine self combusted with 6 wks use of electrical gremlings. Just like the Zaffira
So bought the ford custom with its phone I have to shout at, far noisier interior, very bad fuel consumption, harsh ride, better seating arrangement, useless screens, satnav, infotainment useless but better camera. Stupid heater controls and cig lighter. Both vehicle top spec fitted wheelchair ramps so practically empty

Hi there, I'm Mark, the one with all the long rants on here MX17 AYZ I contacted VOSA or VSB and they said just like ford that the vehicle stopping or going into limp mode isn't a safety issue, perhaps you should contact them or it's going to be one of those issues where someone's going to have to get killed before they wake up, I explained mine cut out from 70mph to 45mph in the middle lane of the M6 in rush hour, but because it didn't physically stop or there was no loss of steering or break control "it's ok" I think Ford and the other big manufacturers have them in the back pocket and are reluctant to do anything - I think the VSB or VOSA's a one man and his dog band anyway - look how long it took them to get off their lazy ar*es over the Zafira issue they need to see kids being barbequed in the back seats before they'll take any notice just like all the other government agencies toothless and useless.
Markwalsh
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Markwalsh » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:22 pm

Ryanjones0143 wrote:So is this a problem with EVERY euro 6 engine? I've just taken delivery of a 170ps Limited. But I can't drive it yet as I'm recovering from a broken leg lol.

I'm afraid so tip of the iceberg - and Ford still haven't resolved the issue everyone with a camper will be faced with this problem as infrequent use makes the problem worse.
Markwalsh
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Markwalsh » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Largada wrote:
snowie wrote:Largada, please make sure that all 4 injectors are replaced, and that the dealer knows 4 must be replaced.

Good luck with yours!

Raised it as soon as they said! Apparently main Ford Dealers have access to a action line if they log it via that number they get priority access and authorisation to change all four. Might be bull but we shall see.

In a way glad it's getting sorted before I even take delivery and experience the joy of limp mode!

It's stupid engine diagnostics that cause the problem as injectors running at 90% efficiency you likely wouldn't even notice!

Apart from a bit of fuel efficiency which let's face it in a van isn't the best anyway!

Hi There, the issue is that all the injectors are affected but only some are showing faults due to the level off corrosion on the tips at the time the fault occurs, so now after a long battle ford have begrudgingly agreed to replace all 4, as customers were going back 2 or 3 times to have different ones replaced, I suspect that any transit Euro 6 built in the last half of 2016 and the beginning of 2017 where they were built as a base unit for another manufacture (Camper) for example are all going to have injector issues over the coming years as the corrosion on the tips of the injectors progresses - the up side is that even in 6 years time you should still be able to get them replaced for free as it's a latent defect and they know about the problem.
Markwalsh
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Largada » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Picked my van up yesterday after having all four injectors swapped,

200 miles later and no hiccups so far
Beware Badgers Bite
Largada
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby snowie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:12 pm

I got mine back on 1st June, finally, with all four injectors replaced. So far covered about 1500 miles without any errors.
Only problem is despite very careful driving, I'm only managing 30 mpg.
Back in the early 1970's, I had a ancient old transit, and managed to get about 28 mpg (petrol).
Some progress by Ford! :lol:
snowie
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby LegendaryLandscaper » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi guys,

1st time poster and fairly new transit owner. Little recap on my experience: I took delivery of my 2.0 Transit Custom just before Christmas last year, and less than 4000 miles on the clock, it's now in the garage for it's 3rd visit. I've read the whole of this thread so would like to think i'm fairly clued up on the problem that Ford are trying to sweep under the carpet. Before I bought the van I had an 07 Nissan Navara, which some of you may or may not know about, but there were some serious safety issues with the rear chassis failing, with the potential of it snapping whilst on the move. Now the only reason I found out about the issue with the snapping chassis was through a friend who directed me to a Facebook group that had been setup. Long story short, the issue was resolved as Nissan bought the truck back off me, gave me more than I would have taken for it if I have sold it privately, and I came away happy with the outcome. The last time I looked, that Nissan Chassis Facebook group had nearly 24,000 members...

My question is, and with the issues raised in this thread and the faults these vans have (plus the fact i'm just off the back off an ignorant discussion/phonecall with a Ford representative from my local dealer which has really narked me off to put it lightly), what would people feel about a similar group appearing on Facebook to raise awareness of this issue? And would it be worth it or just a waste of time?

Cheers
LegendaryLandscaper

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:07 pm

Ryanjones0143 wrote:So is this a problem with EVERY euro 6 engine? I've just taken delivery of a 170ps Limited. But I can't drive it yet as I'm recovering from a broken leg lol.

bet you will and a lot more probs from the new 2.0
psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom