*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Failed break in. How far could they have got?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Failed break in. How far could they have got?

Postby bigjohnthomas » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:10 pm

That's brilliant allcock it looks just like its part of the van 8)
Love ya xx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bigjohnthomas » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Bit of chassis black to stop rust stains dribbling down
And .....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby user774 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:25 am

Alright... funny solutions aside gentlemen,
Has anyone got any info on extending the cables going to the OBD port? I am a plumber/electrician so have the skills and equipment to do this. I can connect cleanly to each of the coloured wires and extend them indefinitely, meaning I can relocate the OBD port to the rear doors if I want. I own the van, it's not a lease or on HP. It's mine.

But the question is: is there a reason those cables shouldn't be cut and extended? Will the longer cables affect the data being sent? Voltage drop/ data corruption/ WARRANTY etc.

I'm sleeping nervously, and moving that unbelievable vulnerability which Ford factory install to be easily accessible is a top priority. Sure, I now have a Hykee lock, but I want the port moved a long way away. I'll put an unconnected UK plug socket behind the OBD flap as a "f*** you" to any potential thief. My number plate was on the list of targets the police found, so I have a good reason to think they'll make a second attempt.

Andy.
Last edited by user774 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
user774
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigjohnthomas » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:33 am

Belly did something like that he cut the odb plug off and fastened a different type of plug on the it then made a fly lead
For the new weird plug to go to an odb socket
Then stuck the fly lead in his knicker draw until needed
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Cereal Killer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:55 am

I think I will stick with the pedal box in addition to the hykee lock. I've got a CatLock fitted too for good measure.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
JR

2016 Custom Ltd Van 310 L1H1 170PS

'Because every good Serial Killer uses a Panel Van' :lol:
Cereal Killer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Cereal Killer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:01 pm

Actually, if I can trace the leads back I may just disconnect the OBD. One thing I have just remembered, some one did suggest that as different software on newest vans, those obd software hacks may not now work. But for how long who knows.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
JR

2016 Custom Ltd Van 310 L1H1 170PS

'Because every good Serial Killer uses a Panel Van' :lol:
Cereal Killer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:28 pm

user774 wrote:Alright... funny solutions aside gentlemen,
Has anyone got any info on extending the cables going to the OBD port? I am a plumber/electrician so have the skills and equipment to do this. I can connect cleanly to each of the coloured wires and extend them indefinitely, meaning I can relocate the OBD port to the rear doors if I want. I own the van, it's not a lease or on HP. It's mine.

But the question is: is there a reason those cables shouldn't be cut and extended? Will the longer cables affect the data being sent? Voltage drop/ data corruption/ WARRANTY etc.

I'm sleeping nervously, and moving that unbelievable vulnerability which Ford factory install to be easily accessible is a top priority. Sure, I now have a Hykee lock, but I want the port moved a long way away. I'll put an unconnected UK plug socket behind the OBD flap as a "f*** you" to any potential thief. My number plate was on the list of targets the police found, so I have a good reason to think they'll make a second attempt.

Andy.

Big fook off chain through streeing wheel secured under seat

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ake » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:28 pm

user774 wrote:Alright... funny solutions aside gentlemen,

Andy.

Any wiring alteration can be held against you in a warranty claim.
Don't extend or cut the wires, just unpick the loom to pull the socket back from where it is and hide it somewhere else. Then fit a dummy socket in the space
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby user774 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:34 pm

ake wrote:Any wiring alteration can be held against you in a warranty claim.
Don't extend or cut the wires, just unpick the loom to pull the socket back from where it is and hide it somewhere else. Then fit a dummy socket in the space

Thanks! This is exactly what I suspected. Much appreciated.

Andy.
user774
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dunf » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:39 pm

I got an exact same white OBD port for use as a dummy out of a fiesta at the scrappies for a quid.
dunf
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby user774 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:49 am

As I suspected, they came back last night to finish the job.

Only this time they were met by a new Hykee lock and steering wheel lock. So I still have a van.

They took the spare wheel though. I probably should have put that inside, but didn't have time. I can live with that.

Moral of this story? GET A HYKEE. Have it fitted before delivery.

Andy.
user774
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Spinal Tap » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:26 am

b*stards.

Glad you've still got the van.
Spinal Tap
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mutley8979 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:13 pm

I had my Connect van broken into the night before last, okay it's a 2008 model so you might expect that Ford security was out of touch.
2 things though, one I can't believe that the audible alarm can be bypassed simply by using a key or a Tibble lock pick and two that this thread is talking about a 2017 vehicle...Ford should be held to ransom for installing shoddy security systems.

For those of you like me who work for themselves having some scumbag take all your tools is a deal breaker, it's hard enough to earn a crust these days with all the cheap foreign unqualified labour undercutting you!
mutley8979
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:40 pm

mutley8979 wrote:I had my Connect van broken into the night before last............having some scumbag take all your tools is a deal breaker

FFS, when will people learn? If having your tools pinched is a big issue don't leave them in the van overnight. It's not difficult. :twisted:

I leave most of mine in the van, but it's a few rusty odds n sods that could be replaced for less than £100. I certainly wouldn't leave the expensive bits in there.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby user774 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:23 pm

Mike wrote:
mutley8979 wrote:I had my Connect van broken into the night before last............having some scumbag take all your tools is a deal breaker

FFS, when will people learn? If having your tools pinched is a big issue don't leave them in the van overnight. It's not difficult. :twisted:

I leave most of mine in the van, but it's a few rusty odds n sods that could be replaced for less than £100. I certainly wouldn't leave the expensive bits in there.

By and large it will depend how busy one is, which trades one does and how many tools one has. I'm multi-skilled so therefore multi-tooled. It would take me an hour at 7am to load and an hour to unload at 6pm. Got 2 kids and a wife who works full time. I have no chance of loading /unloading.
user774
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom