*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MY17 M-Sport

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

MY17 M-Sport

Postby 8BallAddict » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi All,

Just recently picked up our new custom m-sport. Got a few questions if I may....

The cornering lights - they are coming on in daytime! Bit weird, is there a way to turn them off without having to turn the lights off auto? I do want them working at night just a bit pointless in the day time!

Whilst talking about light, is there a way to get the DRL's to stay on at night when the headlights are on?

Options for upgrading the speakers or adding a sub under the rear crew seats....anyone done it with any success?

TIA peeps

8BallAddict

Re: MY17 M-Sport

Postby jue » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:50 pm

No idea mate, sorry. But the van looks very nice.
jue
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:33 pm

8BallAddict wrote: is there a way to get the DRL's to stay on at night when the headlights are on?

DAYtime running lights, there's a clue there :wink:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby 8BallAddict » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:38 pm

Mike wrote:
DAYtime running lights, there's a clue there :wink:

I wasn't asking 'why' they aren't staying on....I was asking if there is a way to 'make' them stay on. Bit of a difference but thanks for the input :wink: :wink:
8BallAddict

Postby S60r » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:20 am

Haha... :D

Mikes right of course, but there is actually a law behind it too I believe.

If you have DRL they must either dim, or extinguish when main headlights are on. It isn't legal to run both unless the DRL is at a reduced level to its daytime setting. There is no way to do that on the Ford "shared filament" set up so it just goes out. There is no way to change this unless you go aftermarket.

I copied Mike and went with the Osram fog light LED DRL solution and it's awesome. I removed the crappy Ford yellow DRL in the headlight by cutting the circuit. The lamp has to remain as you'll need it for the high beam obviously.

Search for the LED fog light solution on here...... they transform the look of the Custom. The OEM set up looks very dated in comparison.

It will really suit your M sport.

Nice looking van BTW. :)
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:19 am

8BallAddict wrote:
I wasn't asking 'why' they aren't staying on....I was asking if there is a way to 'make' them stay on. Bit of a difference but thanks for the input :wink: :wink:

You'll have to disable the parking lights (the 5w bulb in the headlight unit) if you want to run the drl with the headlights on AND as S60r says, they'll have to be dimmed.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby 8BallAddict » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:06 am

Cheers guys, appreciate the advise!
8BallAddict

Postby Clipper49 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:18 am

Hello mate, I think I can probably answer all of your questions as I had all the same questions about my 66 plate M Sport.

Cornering lights - come on during the day if lights are set to auto, this is on all euro 6 customs, I don't know why, no one at Ford knows why, they just do.

DRL's - M Sport fit an auto dimming DRL control unit but don't wire it up correctly. If you look behind/below the drivers side headlamp you will see the unit, it requires a permanent supply, and earth and then power to 1 of 2 other wires which allows you to select between lights only on without headlamps, or light dim to 50% when headlamps illuminate. On mine neither of the 2 additional wires are connected, instead the permanent power supply is wired to the OE DRL's which switch off when headlamps are on.

The OE DRL's are disconnected at M Sport, they cut the blue wire right by the fitting in each headlamp.

You can't fit the OSRAM DRL/foglight upgrade as M Sports don't have front fogs, but they do have much better looking DRL's and you can alter the wiring and legally have 50% power DRL's at night.

Finally, speakers and subs, they are covered elsewhere on here and are very easy and make a good difference. I didn't dynamat my doors as I couldn't be bothered but apparently that is a good idea. I fitted alpine door speakers with focus adapters and an in phase sub under the middle seat, its not the best sub in the world but is so small that you can still use all of the load through area.

There are videos on youtube which show you how to remove the radio and nav screen, getting the wires from head unit to the sub is a bit of a pain but can be done without destroying the vehicle, for remote power I connected to the back of the cigarette lighter and power/earth is under the drivers seat. Somewhere on this forum is a listing that tells you which wire is which at the head unit for your high level input. When you change the door speakers you will need a multi meter to work out which is +/- as both wires are black.
Clipper49
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:25 am

Ah, didn't realise the m sport had no fog lights!

Strange!

To find the polarity of a speaker just use a battery any will do above aaa size. Connect it up by holding the speaker wires on each end, when the speaker crackles note which way the cone moves. when the cone moves outward with the positive wire you have the answer.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby 8BallAddict » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:01 am

Clipper49 wrote:Hello mate, I think I can probably answer all of your questions as I had all the same questions about my 66 plate M Sport.

Cornering lights - come on during the day if lights are set to auto, this is on all euro 6 customs, I don't know why, no one at Ford knows why, they just do.

DRL's - M Sport fit an auto dimming DRL control unit but don't wire it up correctly. If you look behind/below the drivers side headlamp you will see the unit, it requires a permanent supply, and earth and then power to 1 of 2 other wires which allows you to select between lights only on without headlamps, or light dim to 50% when headlamps illuminate. On mine neither of the 2 additional wires are connected, instead the permanent power supply is wired to the OE DRL's which switch off when headlamps are on.

The OE DRL's are disconnected at M Sport, they cut the blue wire right by the fitting in each headlamp.

You can't fit the OSRAM DRL/foglight upgrade as M Sports don't have front fogs, but they do have much better looking DRL's and you can alter the wiring and legally have 50% power DRL's at night.

Finally, speakers and subs, they are covered elsewhere on here and are very easy and make a good difference. I didn't dynamat my doors as I couldn't be bothered but apparently that is a good idea. I fitted alpine door speakers with focus adapters and an in phase sub under the middle seat, its not the best sub in the world but is so small that you can still use all of the load through area.

There are videos on youtube which show you how to remove the radio and nav screen, getting the wires from head unit to the sub is a bit of a pain but can be done without destroying the vehicle, for remote power I connected to the back of the cigarette lighter and power/earth is under the drivers seat. Somewhere on this forum is a listing that tells you which wire is which at the head unit for your high level input. When you change the door speakers you will need a multi meter to work out which is +/- as both wires are black.

Thanks for the post clipper, much appreciated. I'll have a look at the wiring later.

The daytime cornering lights are just random!
8BallAddict

Postby moley551 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:13 am

I think I read somewhere that the cornering lights only operate upto a certain speed (30mph?). Mine also seem to work randomly upto about 40mph, obviously you're getting close to the limit for such a big steering input and I notice it more often on left hand bends probably as your closer to the side of the road. I can't be 100% sure but I don't think it's always done it, I think it changed after the last software update 2 years ago.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Custom