*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

body work question

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

body work question

Postby THE VIKING » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi there Guys I have just got my Custom L2 from new the van looks to have at least 80 % of the van repainted for some reason. I did notice that there had been some paintwork done and I contacted the supplier about this and asked what had been painted they did tell me that it was just a bumper and wing and that if im not happy with it to take it to a Ford Garage for an inspection of the repairs. But in the meantime I have seen more and more bad paintwork on the van. So my question is is there a % of a vechicle that is deemed ok to repair and still sell as a new vechicle if so what would the % be

Thanks
Live 95 sound off Uk Champion (Peugeot 306 xsi)
THE VIKING
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: body work question

Postby Cereal Killer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Very low I would suggest. Did it have much more than delivery mileage on it?

Had it been previously registered?

Was it damaged in storage or during delivery process?

If yes to any of those I would not consider it to be a 'new' van.

You cannot sell a vehicle as 'new' if it has had to be repaired, surely?

Would expect a healthy discount and a declaration and evidence of extent of damage/repair prior to sale if it was mine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
JR

2016 Custom Ltd Van 310 L1H1 170PS

'Because every good Serial Killer uses a Panel Van' :lol:
Cereal Killer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby THE VIKING » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks for your reply cereal killer the milage was no more than it should have been but what is a cocearn was the delivery date was pushed back by 2 days so that may of been the reason time to repair the van. I have since spoke to somone that work for a big VAG garage and there policy was they could not paint any more than 3 panels then sell as new he was not sure if that was just a VAG thing or industry standard
Live 95 sound off Uk Champion (Peugeot 306 xsi)
THE VIKING
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Veteran » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:12 pm

If it's been repainted it's not new. There should be full disclosure and a reasonable discount involved.
Veteran
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:38 pm

If it has had visible body repairs, then it's resale value will be reduced when you come to sell or P/ex it.
If a repair has been done to a proper standard, then an untrained eye shouldn't be able to see it, even if it's only one small panel, so the fact that you've seen it, means that it's a poor repair (no offense meant!) :?

You need to go back and ask some searching questions methinks :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Sport van jay » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Cereal Killer wrote:Very low I would suggest. Did it have much more than delivery mileage on it?

Had it been previously registered?

Was it damaged in storage or during delivery process?

If yes to any of those I would not consider it to be a 'new' van.

You cannot sell a vehicle as 'new' if it has had to be repaired, surely?

Would expect a healthy discount and a declaration and evidence of extent of damage/repair prior to sale if it was mine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hello I work for a ford main dealer pdi centre I run there paint shop you would be surprised how many new vehicle come in damaged whilst in transit from the factory's for example if it's a bolt on panel you can replace the panel but if it's a welded panel then it would become sub standard I've painted many transits over the years due to delivery damage
Sport van jay
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Sport van jay wrote:Hello I work for a ford main dealer pdi centre I run there paint shop you would be surprised how many new vehicle come in damaged whilst in transit from the factory's for example if it's a bolt on panel you can replace the panel but if it's a welded panel then it would become sub standard I've painted many transits over the years due to delivery damage

I'm sure it happens a lot, but I'm sure that you'll agree that it shouldn't be obvious that it has been done.

I made them re-paint the bumpers on my sons focus when we went to look it over, and when they were done, there was no sign of any re-spray, and even the colour matched 8) :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Sport van jay » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:41 pm

Altransit wrote:
Sport van jay wrote:Hello I work for a ford main dealer pdi centre I run there paint shop you would be surprised how many new vehicle come in damaged whilst in transit from the factory's for example if it's a bolt on panel you can replace the panel but if it's a welded panel then it would become sub standard I've painted many transits over the years due to delivery damage

I'm sure it happens a lot, but I'm sure that you'll agree that it shouldn't be obvious that it has been done.

I made them re-paint the bumpers on my sons focus when we went to look it over, and when they were done, there was no sign of any re-spray, and even the colour matched 8) :mrgreen:

Your right it should be done to factory standards if not better a lot of main dealers don't have there own paint shops so send out there work to local body shops which might not be up to fords standards
Sport van jay
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom