*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Packashack - anyone tried one?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Packashack - anyone tried one?

Postby richbee » Wed May 17, 2017 1:00 pm

I'm looking at camping in my DCIV (barn doors) a few times over the summer, but ideally would like an awning type thing out from the back doors.

I've seen the Packashack website, but sounds quite expensive for what you get - just wondered if anyone has used one or any other alternative brands - or even ideas for home made alternatives.

Also, you have to keep the doors open all the time it's attached - could be a drawback.
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Packashack - anyone tried one?

Postby botacco » Wed May 17, 2017 1:09 pm

richbee wrote:I'm looking at camping in my DCIV (barn doors) a few times over the summer, but ideally would like an awning type thing out from the back doors.

I've seen the Packashack website, but sounds quite expensive for what you get - just wondered if anyone has used one or any other alternative brands - or even ideas for home made alternatives.

Also, you have to keep the doors open all the time it's attached - could be a drawback.

I am using a DIY ones. Pretty similar to the packashack or to the REIMO but for less than 40£. Just bought some curtain fabric and velcro to join them...

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk
botacco
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Wed May 17, 2017 1:16 pm

botacco wrote:
richbee wrote:I'm looking at camping in my DCIV (barn doors) a few times over the summer, but ideally would like an awning type thing out from the back doors.

I am using a DIY ones. Pretty similar to the packashack or to the REIMO but for less than 40£. Just bought some curtain fabric and velcro to join them...

Thanks Botacco - any chance of a couple of photos?
I'm guessing it's not waterproof if it's curtain fabric - Do you just make sure it's dry when you're planning to camp?
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby moley551 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:08 pm

Don't plan on Cornwall then....wet weather gear is not optional. :lol:
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby botacco » Wed May 17, 2017 4:41 pm

richbee wrote:
botacco wrote:

Thanks Botacco - any chance of a couple of photos?
I'm guessing it's not waterproof if it's curtain fabric - Do you just make sure it's dry when you're planning to camp?

Don't have pictures now...

I used a waterproof fabric, the one used for outdoor curtains.
However, I usually avoid to camp when raining... I leave on the Dolomite alps and we have only 15-20 raining days per year... :P
botacco
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vampirequeen » Wed May 17, 2017 5:12 pm

I'm going to a make a version of this:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=284043

My plan is to get some lightweight waterproof tent fabric, a few magnets, some clingons (http://www.clingons.co.uk/prices.html) and elastic or tent guideline. I like the idea of the pole to hold the doors stable so will probably get one. The plan is to attach the magnets to the fabric to form the roof attachment and the clingons/elastic/tent guideline in the way they have in the photo. I'll alter my plans as I go along if necessary but basically that's how it will be.
vampirequeen
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby botacco » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Here are a couple of pictures. Still need to add some velcro to fix it to the sides and to improve it a little bit...ImageImage

botacco
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigjohnthomas » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:12 pm

vampirequeen wrote:I'm going to a make a version of this:

My plan is to get some lightweight waterproof tent fabric, a few magnets, some clingons (http://www.clingons.co.uk/prices.html) and elastic or tent guideline. I like the idea of the pole to hold the doors stable so will probably get one. The plan is to attach the magnets to the fabric to form the roof attachment and the clingons/elastic/tent guideline in the way they have in the photo. I'll alter my plans as I go along if necessary but basically that's how it will be.

i want one...i want one :P
new then ,now then vampi better pics
http://www.kiravans.co.uk/campervan-awn ... afic-black
bit of a hem on your material with some bungee cord threaded through and bingo
be easy on a custom because the back doors lock open on a mk6/7 you may have problems
ill get my sewing machine out 8)
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby BHM » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:05 pm

Looks like an Orgasmatron to me BJT....... :shock:

Right up your street :mrgreen:

I'm more washing-up gloves myself :wink:

BHM
BHM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:02 am

:lol: yes you could crack one off in there without drawing too much attention :P
I was measuring this up last night and left the bloody back doors open all night its soaking in there now :x
Fords fault
I locked it the indicators flashed but because of my ford transits poor quality horn that has stopped working I thought it was shut
Bloody ford

Anyway I shall order some suitable material off egay and get stuck in I have shock cord left over from sooty
wanted one of these for the past 60years but the mk6/7 doors don't lock open so you would need a pole to hold them
f*** that :x
Allcock
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby vampirequeen » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:20 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:
vampirequeen wrote:I'm going to a make a version of this:

i want one...i want one :P
new then ,now then vampi better pics
http://www.kiravans.co.uk/campervan-awn ... afic-black
bit of a hem on your material with some bungee cord threaded through and bingo
be easy on a custom because the back doors lock open on a mk6/7 you may have problems
ill get my sewing machine out 8)

I got an adjustable clothes prop. Cut the clothes line end to form a hook and fastened a small bracket to the other end to form another hook. The hooks fit into the lock hole bits at the top of each rear door. This gives the cloth something to rest on and stops the doors from swinging.
vampirequeen
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:42 pm

8) 2 metres of silver reflective waterproof material 10 quid
On its way to castle gay skull :P
But what color thread to use :?

Its just for keeping the sun off the tripes :)
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Camper steve » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:10 am

Im not into rear door action :D

but i do like it on the side.

mine takes about 20 mins to put up as has 3 ridge poles, but have seen some more expensive blow up ones that take about a min + time to smack in pegs.
my awning just ties onto the roof rail, and you can untie, zip it up and leave the awning standing while you do some sight seeing. (big john i don't mean dogging :lol: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camper steve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vampirequeen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:45 am

I can see that a rear door action might not be for everyone but I understand that a bit on the side can be quite exciting :D
vampirequeen
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richbee » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:04 pm

botacco wrote:Here are a couple of pictures. Still need to add some velcro to fix it to the sides and to improve it a little bit...ImageImage

Cool!
Thanks for the pics - you can make quite a simple setup, it's good
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom