*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Batteries and charging

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Batteries and charging

Postby sparker000 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:07 pm

So, I have been looking into batteries for my Tourneo Custom. With all the talk about how poor the Ford batteries are, I thought I would look into which batteries to fit and found out a few things.

Type I have fitted. I have worked out that I have deep cycle AGM batteries fitted. Size H7 315Lx175Wx190H (might have these because I have Stop Start and a 240V socket). Twin batteries are fitted with Start Stop but are size T7 and not AGM type, which are sized 315Lx175Wx175H.

The smart regenerative alternator does not charge the batteries fully like a conventual battery, a constantly cycling charge state of around 60-80%, it charges on deceleration and uses battery power with normal driving.
On Start Stop models the alternator is disconnected when on stationary tick over and the batteries are in a high charge. If you are going to use the inverter or jump start another vehicle etc. switch on the hazard warning lights (when safe to do so) and it will connect the alternator and continue to charge. So don't bother to leave your van running to keep the battery charged unless you do this, it might not help depending on the charge cycle.

The batteries receive a charge voltage of 12.2v up to 15.2v! That is why it is important to use the correct type of batteries that can handle the higher voltage.

Charging a flat battery needs to be charged using a smart or boost charger as it may not except a proper charge with a conventional type (same with all modern batteries)

With twin batteries, the nearest to the front of the van is for starting, the rear one is the auxiliary. The batteries must be identical. Do not mismatch type or rate.

It is probably in the manual, but if you have Start Stop and stall the engine depressing the clutch will restart it without the need to turn the key.

The AGM batteries can be fitted by Ford as an upgrade so can be fitted to any Custom or Transit. Not sure if you need a different clap bracket for fitting these as they are a different height.

Ford part no. for AGM battery CC1V-10655-A (like Varta F21 AGM). Normal twin batteries CC1T-10655_B (like Bosch S5 010). Not sure about single battery set up.

This info is all to the best of my knowledge from what I have read from Ford literature and BEMM.
sparker000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom