*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Air con

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Air con

Postby Camper steve » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:32 am

Hi All

am sure i read before that someone had smelly aircon.
Myself i have a system that is not cooling the van down, so i asked around some mobile aircon service people for prices and have learnt a great deal....

My 64 plate uses just over 1 Kg of R1234yg gas, and this is a new type of gas which the government have made car manufacturers use from 2014 onwards.
older vans use R134a gas which is cheap! (can get a regas/aircon service at around £50)

The new gas is bloody expensive and i have been quoted at around £300 per kilo for the gas alone.

So i rang ford and asked to see if i could have the van re-gassed and diagnosed for leaks on warranty. I was told by the lady that ford recommend a regas at every 3 years and it was not likely to be under warranty as it will have used the gas up in 3 years. I pointed out the aircon system is a sealed system and that the gas does not get used up like fuel. the only way it can lose gas is if it leaks, i also asked her when was the last time she had her fridge at home re gassed as it was the same system, all be it that the van has a fan on the cold end of the system to push the cold around the van. this is when she offered me a aircon service, diagnostic and cleanse for just £79 including picking up the van and bringing it back. considering others had quoted me around £400 all in i said yes, i know i should have pushed for a warranty fix, but at £79 im not arguing as long as i get my van sorted.

Lesson here is that if your van is nearing its 3 years, ask for the aircon service as part of your service, if you still use ford. on the face of it its a lot cheaper if they do it.
am still going to be waiting for a call when they have mine in though for them to try to tell me its going to cost more than the £79 they quoted me..... We will see!
Camper steve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Air con

Postby yasser » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:38 pm

Camper steve wrote:Hi All

am sure i read before that someone had smelly aircon.
Myself i have a system that is not cooling the van down, so i asked around some mobile aircon service people for prices and have learnt a great deal....

My 64 plate uses just over 1 Kg of R1234yg gas, and this is a new type of gas which the government have made car manufacturers use from 2014 onwards.
older vans use R134a gas which is cheap! (can get a regas/aircon service at around £50)

The new gas is bloody expensive and i have been quoted at around £300 per kilo for the gas alone.

So i rang ford and asked to see if i could have the van re-gassed and diagnosed for leaks on warranty. I was told by the lady that ford recommend a regas at every 3 years and it was not likely to be under warranty as it will have used the gas up in 3 years. I pointed out the aircon system is a sealed system and that the gas does not get used up like fuel. the only way it can lose gas is if it leaks, i also asked her when was the last time she had her fridge at home re gassed as it was the same system, all be it that the van has a fan on the cold end of the system to push the cold around the van. this is when she offered me a aircon service, diagnostic and cleanse for just £79 including picking up the van and bringing it back. considering others had quoted me around £400 all in i said yes, i know i should have pushed for a warranty fix, but at £79 im not arguing as long as i get my van sorted.

Lesson here is that if your van is nearing its 3 years, ask for the aircon service as part of your service, if you still use ford. on the face of it its a lot cheaper if they do it.
am still going to be waiting for a call when they have mine in though for them to try to tell me its going to cost more than the £79 they quoted me..... We will see!

Would that be a service then rather than a regas? would it not just be like a normal engine service at a quoted price and then consumables (oil, filters and plugs ect) but in your case R1234yg on top.

Are you sure you have this new gas? my van was built 10. 2015 and i have the R134a sticker
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:48 pm

If you don't run the air con every few minutes the seals dry out and all the gas f*** off
Same with fridge vans and trailers
Use it or loose it dude
I should know I am a scientist
Regards
Prof smallcock kk
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Camper steve » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:53 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:If you don't run the air con every few minutes the seals dry out and all the gas f*** off
Same with fridge vans and trailers
Use it or loose it dude
I should know I am a scientist
Regards
Prof smallcock kk

thank you doctor...lol :o
Camper steve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Camper steve » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:56 pm

i have the R134a sticker[/quote]

Yep you are lucky, any mobile aircon service will be around £50 for you.

Mine is definitely the R1234yf as it has the sticker under the bonnet detailing it.

here is some info on why the change in gas to the new type

https://www.vehicools.co.uk/r1234yf/r12 ... ry-so-far/
Camper steve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:08 pm

No problem young fellow
I am hard at it with my science chums today
Soon will have the answer to why sh*t stinks :D
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bigjohnthomas » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Bloody EU and global warming lies that :x
Can't you put the old gas in it ?
Going to check mine later
What years yours then?
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby yasser » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:54 pm

Camper steve wrote:Mine is definitely the R1234yf as it has the sticker under the bonnet detailing it.

Do you want to buy a sticker?
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jvic28 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:43 pm

I can double check the gas it takes if you like to make sure your sticker is correct. Ha ha. Air con regass is only covered for 12 months. Obviously a manufacturing defect would be covered if you need a new condensor for example. An air con service is different to a regass so sounds like they have quoted you wrong if you have the new gas.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Warranty/Service Department Administrator - Ford Main Dealer
Expert in nothing but here to help if I can
Jvic28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:33 am

Jvic28 wrote:Air con regass is only covered for 12 months.

Could you explain why?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Jvic28 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:15 am

Nope. Ha ha. I just is. I don't make the rules I just play by them (or try to) Personally I would offer you some goodwill and carry it out under warranty anyway. In the hope of course that you'd have faith in us as a dealer and return for future maintenance.

Jvic28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:21 am

Jvic28 wrote:Personally I would offer you some goodwill and carry it out under warranty anyway. In the hope of course that you'd have faith in us as a dealer and return for future maintenance.

It's a shame that you don't work for Perrys Aylesbury, defrauding b*stards.

Anyway, maybe you could find out the reason? There must be one.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Jvic28 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:29 am

Have you called customer relations?

Jvic28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:34 am

Jvic28 wrote:Have you called customer relations?

About what?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Jvic28 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:38 am

If you call and complain they quite often contact the dealer on your behalf. Its not warranty. Final. But the dealer can carry it our for you as a gesture of goodwill should they choose. I tend to choose.

Jvic28
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Custom