*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Woeful security... discuss...

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Woeful security... discuss...

Postby user774 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:54 am

Morning gentlemen.

My own van was nearly stolen recently, and several others from my street actually were (I got lucky)...
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=178619
so I did some research in to the subject and was disappointed by how easy it is to steal one.

I just so happened to fire a random tweet off to one of Ford's UK PR directors (not going to say who here so he doesn't get flooded by comments), about how easy it is to break into and steal a factory Custom.

He replied and asked for my contact details so he can get the executive office in touch. Which is nice.

So I thought I'd ask you all for your break in stories so I can direct them here to show how widespread the issue is.

Andy.
user774
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Woeful security... discuss...

Postby Camper steve » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:01 am

Camper steve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby S60r » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:34 pm

I will be interested to see how you get on. I contacted Ford UK and was given very little attention. The attitude they have is that the Custom is on a par with all other vans out there in terms of security and all the tricks used by thieves have been thought up since they designed the van. Long story short.... they will do nothing.

I have removed my OBD port. I also have stickers in the front windows stating the OBD is disabled. Which it is.

Luckily I am DCIV and can reverse tight to my wall at night but nothing is secure. I have seen them opened like a tin can down the sides to gain entry, through the roof etc etc.

Changing the crappy front door lock which is very pickable will help, but to stop it being cloned and driven away the only sure fire way for me was to remove the OBD port.

Read through all the threads.... you'll be a while as there are plenty of them!!
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:44 pm

S60r wrote:I will be interested to see how you get on. I contacted Ford UK and was given very little attention. The attitude they have is that the Custom is on a par with all other vans out there in terms of security and all the tricks used by thieves have been thought up since they designed the van. Long story short.... they will do nothing.
!!

Whatever they do the bad men will find a way around it 8)
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby S60r » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:54 pm

Yes...... agreed....... Sadly.

:evil:
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Punto443 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:02 pm

BORED!!!!

This just keeps going around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around.

Simple answer. Van is designed to transport stuff, not store it.

You want to keep stuff in it, fit extra security.
Everybody greets about there stuff getting chored, but won't spend the price of a night out preventing it. Then they want to blame ford.

People go to the main dealer and ask for a new key, they don't like the price, competition rules etc mean ford have to give independents
Access to tools and info, the independents give it to the thieves,
But again it's fords fault.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby user774 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Punto443 wrote:BORED!!!!

This just keeps going around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around.

Everybody greets about there stuff getting chored, but won't spend the price of a night out preventing it. Then they want to blame ford.

People go to the main dealer and ask for a new key, they don't like the price, competition rules etc mean ford have to give independents

You miss the point somewhat old chap. I'm not interested in protecting my £2.99 handsaw I bought fromWickes, I'm interested in STOPPING MY £27k VAN FROM BEING STOLEN with my £2.99 handsaw in the back.

And you should be too.

What if Ford upgrade the lock in response to the thieves figuring out how to break it?
user774
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Punto443 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 pm

They going to upgrade the window as well?

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby S60r » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:10 pm

Punto443 wrote:BORED!!!!

Yes, agree with User774.

Moderator or not.... you are way off the mark.

Why should it be easy to nick my 30k van? Which by the way will not be insured if there are no signs of forced entry?
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:13 pm

user774 wrote:What if Ford upgrade the lock in response to the thieves figuring out how to break it?

The thieves will figure out how to break the new one, and the new one and the new one......repeat to fade.

FFS, if you're spending "£27k" on a van, spend an extra few quid on making it more secure, relying on the manufacturer is daft, do something different and make the thieves work harder, as they're inherently lazy they'll steal your neighbours van instead.

As Punto says, these threads about theft are getting fvcking boring now, take some responsibility and secure your own stuff. :evil:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby user774 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:21 pm

Mike wrote:
user774 wrote:What if Ford upgrade the lock in response to the thieves figuring out how to break it?

The thieves will figure out how to break the new one, and the new one and the new one......repeat to fade.

FFS, if you're spending "£27k" on a van, spend an extra few quid on making it more secure, relying on the manufacturer is daft, do something different and make the thieves work harder, as they're inherently lazy they'll steal your neighbours van instead.

As Punto says, these threads about theft are getting fvcking boring now, take some responsibility and secure your own stuff. :evil:

Please read my link in my first post. I have deadlocks, a Hykee lock, obd port is moved, hidden and in a locked safe, window stickers explaining that, and a steering wheel lock. Money well spent, but again the point is missed. Extra security or not, the factory fitted barrel lock is woefully inadequate, so perhaps it's time for Ford to consider that.
user774
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:29 pm

user774 wrote:Please read my link in my first post.........the factory fitted barrel lock is woefully inadequate, so perhaps it's time for Ford to consider that.

I did read it, we have a new thread about the same old sh*t almost every week. There is no such thing as an impenetrable lock.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby user774 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Mike wrote:
user774 wrote:Please read my link in my first post.........the factory fitted barrel lock is woefully inadequate, so perhaps it's time for Ford to consider that.

I did read it, we have a new thread about the same old sh*t almost every week. There is no such thing as an impenetrable lock.

Except I'm not asking about an impenetrable lock. Im asking for people to share their break in stories because I inadvertently got the attention of the top guy at Ford in the PR department, who has asked for details.

Just out of curiosity, why undermine this?
user774
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:37 pm

user774 wrote: Im asking for people to share their break in stories

Just out of curiosity, why undermine this?

Do a search then, there's loads of stuff which you can send to Mr Ford.

I'm not undermining it, simply pointing out that it's getting repeated every other week if not more frequently. Good luck with Ford but I don't think you'll get anywhere as they know the shortcomings of their security, and there's very little they can do. Which brings us back to my original point.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Punto443 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:41 pm

My point being, it's not a couple of local neds who worked out how to bypass immobilisers etc.

It's a multi million pound industry, stolen vans, parts, tools etc, has been for decades!
And the transit tops the polls as the most stolen!

A mechanical lock is little more than a token gesture now.

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Transit Custom