*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Water damaged ECU? (Maybe a Stupid question )

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Water damaged ECU? (Maybe a Stupid question )

Postby Playminiii » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:10 pm

I've just been offered a 15 plate 155 dciv that's done 120k but has an ECU issue apparently it went screwed after having the van valeted (which im skeptical of I think its had the engine steamed) and apparently its down to the ECU being soaked, here come the daft question.
Is I a new ECU or is there anywhere that will repair it if possible? I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a new ECU just wanted to clarify

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Transit Tourneo 140ps Goes like the Wind and still returns 34.2mpg pure magic!!!! But at 450k its starting get Tired!!!!
NEW Custom Titanium lwb 125 with leather they don't build them like they used too.... FACT
Playminiii
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Water damaged ECU? (Maybe a Stupid question )

Postby loot » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:30 pm

You need to remove the ecu and unplug it to see if any water is bridging the pins, i think they're sealed with rubber tho, if it is soaked then it wants drying thoroughly including the connectors so there's no chance of it shorting as it it's apparently at the moment.

If the faults remain and can't be cleared and you've checked all the fuses etc then you'll need to swap out the pcm for another 1 to discount it.

In the first case i can't see steam cleaning getting to it, more like it has wet the loom somewhere which is shorting but i think just needs a good dry out.

In the second case, if it has fried the pcm then you have to ask, will installing a new pcm (£150+) also get fried due to wet/shorting wiring?

Personally i think you should disconnect the pcm and dry it thoroughly and see if you can get it tested :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Playminiii » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:37 am

Cheers loot much appreciated, I've made the purchase anyway as it's well worth it even if I end up having to break it, I have it all stripped out as of about an hour ago PCM and ECU are drying out and have the van inside the unit with the heaters on too, I'm going to have a few hours on it tomorrow and check the loom out for obvious faults or flooding fingers crossed it's a simple fix.
Can I just swap out the PCM? Is it plug and play? As I can swap it out from one that's running once I'm positive the loom is good to see if it cures it.

Cheers
Transit Tourneo 140ps Goes like the Wind and still returns 34.2mpg pure magic!!!! But at 450k its starting get Tired!!!!
NEW Custom Titanium lwb 125 with leather they don't build them like they used too.... FACT
Playminiii
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:11 am

The weak point is the plug and pins from my research. It's very hard for water to ingress into the actual ECU as it is sealed as Loot says. It's very hard to break into it as the seal is so effective. (Believe me, I've done it).

The water sits in the top of the plug and corrodes the contacts over time. I'd carefully inspect those. If they are shorting it's maybe a quick fix.... if they are fatally damaged then a new ECU is on the cards. Good luck.... it's a problem that is surely coming to us all if we don't deflect the water away from the electrics as Ford should have done from the outset obviously.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:37 am

Pcm isn't plug and play :-( needs initializing with ids, i haven't done it on the custom tho so unless it is the same procedure then I'm not sure but it will require Ford log ins i assume :-(
Going to need a locksmith or someone who has quality diagnostics to configure it i think, also pats programming to keys as part of it. :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Playminiii » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Cheers loot, pretty sure the good drying out is going to.work tbh. Some quality installer has put a screen in it and it's about as well sealed as the herald or free enterprises bow doors everything is soaked. I do have a guy who's pretty good with IDS who's pretty clued up on none commercial fords so he should be able sort the pcm programming out if needed. Will let you know if I get it going, could quite possibly be the cheapest dciv ever....

S60r I totally agree all the customs I have we've deflected the water as much as we can with some jiggery-pokery and rubber but this for something just 2 years old is herendous ford should be ashamed. I know the poor window installation hasn't helped but damn it shouldn't drain onto the ECU. I've got the ECU bone dry now cleaned all the contacts up and the wiring tomorrow will be judgement day leaving it another night under the heater just to be sure it's all dry.

Playminiii
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:45 pm

good luck.. hope it works.... if it does you may want to coat the contacts and anything else around there with this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACF-50-Anti-C ... 2a713e3925

:)
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Playminiii » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Cheers mate i've just been looking for something like that. Great minds

Playminiii
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby keeff » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:44 pm

What is the van doing or not doing? Mine went dead even the computer would not connect to it (fords) it was the abs module down under the ecu and we think it got water in it. They fitter a new one and I covered it all up but don't shoot the water down on the abs unit make sure it goes past that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
keeff
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Playminiii » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:53 pm

It was doing different things, all the lights were coming on and off, horn sounding, wipers going then it would.all stop and the ignition lights would stay on but it wouldn't crank nor would the central locking work (all doors bar drivers were locked). So basically it was screwed haha.

Playminiii
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:16 am

That points to something other than the ECU I think....

For example, when my ECU was out of the vehicle everything worked as it should electrically. The only job of the ECU is to run /start the engine. It does nothing until you start the vehicle.

All the other stuff you mention is controlled elsewhere. I'm sure someone can tell you where? I don't know TBH. Hopefully the relay/fuses in the engine bay are soaked?
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Custom