*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Aftermarket SATNAV

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Aftermarket SATNAV

Postby Seamonkey » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Does anyone here have experience with installing an aftermarket SATNAV?
Today I got my Sport Euro6 delivered. It was sent to a company for installing an aftermarket SATNAV. Problem is they took the original SYNC out and now I can't adjust my clock and date setting in the display in the dash. The permanentely displays a wrong date and time. The only purpose it has is to display the Parking Sensors screen. Other than that it has no more function.
I talked to one of the Ford technicians and he said that eventhough I'd put the original SYNC radio back and adjust the clock, it won't be stored in the vehicle. So if I take it out again and put the aftermarket head unit, the display will show a wrong date and time again.
I thought it was a bit strange, so I'm asking for a second opinion on this forum.

Advice is well appreciated.
Seamonkey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Aftermarket SATNAV

Postby ake » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Why did you not get Ford sat nav?
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Seamonkey » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:11 am

Because I didn't like it.
Still outdated maps, wrong directions in one way streets etc.
Also the character sizes of the song playing take half of the screen by just displaying half of a song title. The other half of the screen is wasted with that USB symbol.
No support for lossless formats. Clipping issues with sound on higher volumes.
It's just a boring satnav with technology from a decade ago.
Also I didn't like SYNC constantly reminding me that I didn't input an emergency number. And that I had to press OK everytime I turned it on. Or press OK when I want to view a map.
The handsfree function doesn't work very well. People never understand me when I'm calling handsfree. Almost all of the time I had to disable bluetooth and call the phone to face way.
And finally all those buttons are completely useless. Who inputs letters on a telephone dialpad?
Of course opinions differ.
Seamonkey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:53 pm

Seamonkey wrote:Because I didn't like it.
Still outdated maps, wrong directions in one way streets etc.
Also the character sizes of the song playing take half of the screen by just displaying half of a song title. The other half of the screen is wasted with that USB symbol.
No support for lossless formats. Clipping issues with sound on higher volumes.
It's just a boring satnav with technology from a decade ago.
Also I didn't like SYNC constantly reminding me that I didn't input an emergency number. And that I had to press OK everytime I turned it on. Or press OK when I want to view a map.
The handsfree function doesn't work very well. People never understand me when I'm calling handsfree. Almost all of the time I had to disable bluetooth and call the phone to face way.
And finally all those buttons are completely useless. Who inputs letters on a telephone dialpad?
Of course opinions differ.

I've got the Ford Nav system in the Fiesta and actually think it's pretty good
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:10 pm

ake wrote:I've got the Ford Nav system in the Fiesta and actually think it's pretty good
It's very good in the Connect too, I think the Custom must have a low rent version?

Seamonkey wrote:No support for lossless formats.
Brilliant :lol:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby dan_robinson » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:08 pm

It was totally retarded to change the steering wheel controls so they no longer work on the Sat nav. The actual navigation bit works for when going.

The music display could be better, but then...... You're supposed to be watching the road ;). I control the music from my phone anyway.

Besides, you're in a van.... Will lossless formats be appreciable in such a noisy vehicle?
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:18 pm

dan_robinson wrote:
Besides, you're in a van.... Will lossless formats be appreciable in such a noisy vehicle?

Most things aren't noticeable on my home system, nevermind in a van. I have everything ripped in ALAC for convenience and it works fine in the van, even if it's not appreciated.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Seamonkey » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:09 pm

dan_robinson wrote:

I think the vehicle isn't that noisy at all.
And I did notice audio artefacts on the higher frequencies.
To be honest, that was not the main reason I opted for an aftermarket. Gettings lost when relying on the navigation made me make that decision.
That and the obnoxious big letters on the screen, the nagging of the SYNC and the fact I had to search through all my maps on the USB to get to the map I was playing music from after the contactswitch was off.

But that doesn't solve my original problem I posted. Does anyone here know how to correct the clock issue?
Seamonkey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mavericktc » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:03 pm

The satnav is worthless indeed, especially when they removed the controls from the steering wheel.

I think the custom is the only van in it's class that doesn't have an option for a touchscreen with android auto/apple car play.

Why anyone would play music from flash memory in a van I don't know.
I use BT from my phone cause the headunit/speakers can't put the better sound quality of a better format in good use.
Last edited by mavericktc on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mavericktc
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:20 pm

And this is just typical of fords poor design etc...etc...

Yawning :lol:
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby moley551 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Seamonkey wrote:
dan_robinson wrote:

I think the vehicle isn't that noisy at all.
And I did notice audio artefacts on the higher frequencies.
To be honest, that was not the main reason I opted for an aftermarket. Gettings lost when relying on the navigation made me make that decision.
That and the obnoxious big letters on the screen, the nagging of the SYNC and the fact I had to search through all my maps on the USB to get to the map I was playing music from after the contactswitch was off.

But that doesn't solve my original problem I posted. Does anyone here know how to correct the clock issue?

Are audio artefacts! my stock of tapes in the glove box I can't play.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:42 pm

mavericktc wrote:Why anyone would play music from flash memory in a van I don't know.

Because my usb stick holds 256gb of music that my phone can't?
mavericktc wrote:I think the custom is the only van in it's class that doesn't have an option for a touchscreen with android auto/apple car play.

Sync 3 does CarPlay :?

"Ford’s latest Transit, Transit Connect and Ranger models can now be specified with the new SYNC 3 communications system, which allows drivers to control their connected smartphones, audio, navigation, and climate functions (where fitted) with more conversational voice commands.

Simply by pushing a button and saying “I need fuel”, “I need a coffee”, or “find an address”, drivers can locate nearby fuel stations, cafés, or the location of their next job. The system then guides the driver to the selected destination via the navigation.

SYNC 3 has a redesigned touchscreen that features larger, easier to operate buttons, and can be used just like a smartphone with pinch-to-zoom and swipe gestures. With a more powerful processor, the system also delivers faster and more responsive performance.

Designed to complement modern smartphones, SYNC 3 provides a powerful set of features for customers who use their vehicles as mobile offices, including phone calls using simple voice commands, audible text messages, and full compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto™ functions."
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby mavericktc » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:58 pm

Mike wrote:
mavericktc wrote:Why anyone would play music from flash memory in a van I don't know.

Because my usb stick holds 256gb of music that my phone can't?
mavericktc wrote:I think the custom is the only van in it's class that doesn't have an option for a touchscreen with android auto/apple car play.

Sync 3 does CarPlay :?

"Ford’s latest Transit, Transit Connect and Ranger models can now be specified with the new SYNC 3 communications system, which allows drivers to control their connected smartphones, audio, navigation, and climate functions (where fitted) with more conversational voice commands.

Simply by pushing a button and saying “I need fuel”, “I need a coffee”, or “find an address”, drivers can locate nearby fuel stations, cafés, or the location of their next job. The system then guides the driver to the selected destination via the navigation.

SYNC 3 has a redesigned touchscreen that features larger, easier to operate buttons, and can be used just like a smartphone with pinch-to-zoom and swipe gestures. With a more powerful processor, the system also delivers faster and more responsive performance.

Designed to complement modern smartphones, SYNC 3 provides a powerful set of features for customers who use their vehicles as mobile offices, including phone calls using simple voice commands, audible text messages, and full compatibility with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto™ functions."

I use on-line services but i would definitely buy a phone with an sd card or a bigger built in storage in order to have my music on the phone. Makes it much easier.

"I think the custom is the only van in it's class"
The big transit is getting sync3 and the connect as well.
Show me where I can order a custom with sync 3.
mavericktc
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:31 pm

mavericktc wrote:I use on-line services but i would definitely buy a phone with an sd card or a bigger built in storage in order to have my music on the phone. Makes it much easier.

Why is it easier on your phone than on a usb stick?

Sorry, I forgot that the Custom is still lagging behind the Connect, you'll have to wait until later this year for Sync3.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby mavericktc » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Mike wrote:
mavericktc wrote:I use on-line services but i would definitely buy a phone with an sd card or a bigger built in storage in order to have my music on the phone. Makes it much easier.

Why is it easier on your phone than on a usb stick?

Easier to file, touch screen.

Sync (without touch) with usb is not fun.
mavericktc
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Transit Custom