*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Tow bar electrics on 2017 model

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Tow bar electrics on 2017 model

Postby dug1001 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:29 pm

I've taken my tow bar off of my 2014 Custom and fitted it to my 2017 one.

The old one had a generic electric kit fitted. On the new one I want to fit the ford one.

Has anyone done this themselves? Apparently on the older model the wiring ran along the chassis and came up under the passenger seat. I've looked under there on the newer one but can't see any plugs.

I phoned for today and they have two wiring kits available for mine, a 40cm length kit send a 100cm length kit.

So I'm asssuming now that there's a connector near the back somewhere and it should be an easy job.

Looking underneath there is a rectangular plug unused near the spare wheel.

I'm guessing once I pick up the kit this afternoon all will become obvious but it would be good to hear if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks,

Peter
dug1001
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Tow bar electrics on 2017 model

Postby black_fiishing » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:45 pm

hi peter
i have just done mine, took my towbar of my 2014 transit custom and fitted to my new custom(adblue model) , removed electrics and fitted the same way as i had to my previous transit,until i removed the passenger wheel well to find that one of the two plugs that are there (one is different )had to go on to ebay to buy new electrics as the new custom(adblue model) is slightly different, cost £102 from pf jones. anyway new ones came and fitted the same way as previous (although when underneath i notice some blanked off connectors plugs that could have been there for a dedecated ford loom). al went well instructions quite clear but had to change a fuse in fuse box (removed 40amp fuse and replaced with 20amp) it also said on instructions that it had to be coded by ford but i attached it to my trailer and it all worked.......hope this helps...allan
black_fiishing

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:36 am

black_fiishing wrote:it also said on instructions that it had to be coded by ford but i attached it to my trailer and it all worked.......hope this helps...allan

Isn't the 'coding' for safety functions? Roll over mitigation, stability, trailer sway, abs adaption, eba etc?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby black_fiishing » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:57 pm

yes i think it is ..i only tow a small trailer some of the time so i dont think it will matter that much to me, when it goes to ford for its first service i will ask how much extra it will be to get it coded,,,
black_fiishing

Postby dug1001 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:23 pm

Thanks for the info Allan.

The electrics on my old van weren't the plug and play type, it had been spliced in with a generic module behind one of the rear lights. I didn't fancy messing about with that.

I saw the pfjones kit and instructions and was going to order it but I needed it for the following morning.

I looked and the BEMM thing and saw the tow bar electric wiring kit (about £51)on page 72 which is basically the 13 pin socket with a short cable that plugs into the existing rectangular socket that is under the van near the spare wheel. Hoped that would work but alas nothing.

Its a shame the parts guys aren't more clued up. When I called the parts dept and said I wanted the towbar electrics kit he said yes we've got that in stock, when I got there he produced some sort of 13 pin - 7 pin adapter cable!

Anyway I popped back into my local dealer and it looks like I need the trailer tow module and harness on page 72 which will be about £111.

I didn't order them as I wasn't sure if it would work without being coded by ford but reading your post it sounds like it will work but without the additional stability stuff etc.

That's fine by me as I also only tow a small motorcycle trailer. I'll probably get it coded at the first service.

Out of interest if the pfjones kit a 7 or 13 pin socket?
dug1001
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Wadey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:22 pm

Mike wrote:
black_fiishing wrote:it also said on instructions that it had to be coded by ford but i attached it to my trailer and it all worked.......hope this helps...allan

Isn't the 'coding' for safety functions? Roll over mitigation, stability, trailer sway, abs adaption, eba etc?

My mate fitted mine we used a dedicated kit not Ford but fitted exactly the same way unde the passenger step
He coded mine in it only deactivated the rear sensors when it detects a trailer been plugged in it comes up with a picture of the front of the trailer a sort of triangle instead of the sensors so they don't go off all the time
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Cody_Shirt » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:46 pm

I'm going to show my ignorance but seen as the 2016 transit custom model does have the plug in tow bar wiring setup is there much need to unplug the battery to do so or is it only advised in the PF Jones' 7 pin tow bar installation instructions to prevent health risks.

if possible I would just like to avoid dealing with putting in the radio codes etc that come with unplugging the battery...
Cody_Shirt

Postby WJL » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:58 am

Hi everyone, looking for some help and advise, have a 2017 ford transit custom, which i purchased in July 2022, i previous owner from new, My previous van was same as but a 2014 model, I recently used my car transport trailer, which i would use on a regular basis, never had issues with previous van, however this was the first time on this van, however when connected (LED lights on trailer) it worked fine for the journey, then when i went to use again, nothing, had an auto electrician have a quick look, no fuse gone that we could find, so had to put in to Ford (Note; factory fitted tow-bar).

I picked the van up, and they said it is now all working fine, HOWEVER- they stated on the invoice to not use LED trailer lights as there is known issue with them not working on this specific model? OMG

they told me to change lights on trailer??? "Are they for real" i replied do they realise that most trailers have LED lights from mid 2000's, and i explained that i had never had issue before with previous van, they offered to sell me a tail board with bulbs, i replied why would i want a tailboard when i have a fully compliant trailer with LED lights.

Is there a fix without re-wiring the van?

Sorry for the rant, a bit mad with this, as i would use the trailer regularly to to and from race meetings with my Ford Fiesta ST150 race car.
WJL

Return to Transit Custom