*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Retro fitting a reverse camera

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Retro fitting a reverse camera

Postby Wadey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:42 am

Has anyone tried or know how I can retro fit the Ford reverse camera to my van If where to fit the camera and the mirror with the screen how hard would it be to add it to my van ? And get it all working?
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Retro fitting a reverse camera

Postby S60r » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:35 am

It was way too costly for me, I have the dciv so a rear view mirror is pointless. The actual screen size is also very small on the oem unit.

I used an aftermarket unit that replaces the number plate light, you can also get them on the high level brake light if you want a higher view for towing purposes. The screen that I have tucks up above where the rear view mirror would be and is 6".

Fitted it myself and the entire thing cost me about 30 quid and the picture is perfect even at night. The Ford cam was over 300 to retrofit.

Mine is hard wired, there are also wireless versions available for around 50-60 quid.

Mine is similar to this....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reverse-Rear- ... SwImRYh4ZB

:)
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:44 am

Its plenty big enough the rear view mirror screen
And when it switches on its like magic :P
Its not just a mirror it's a television set too BBC back of van 1 :D
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Wadey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:28 am

My Mate has one in his and it's fine for what I want as I want it to look factory iv been looking at second hand bits the camera and screen can be brought from breakers it's the wiring that's gonna be the problem anyone know if there's a control unit or it's it all in the mirror ?
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Wadey » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:37 pm

Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for the reverse camera set up??
Iv managed to get the rear trim with the camera built in even if I don't get the mirror I would like to know how it's wired up so I can connect it to a screen
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Wadey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:52 pm

Right iv managed to get the mirror with the screen in it can anyone point me in the right direction as to what wire goes where
Someone must know where I can get a wiring diagram ??
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:00 am

Did you get this sorted?

I hope your van was prewired so it could be plugged up reasonably easily... running the cabling from to back was definitely the hardest part of the job for the after market one I have.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Wadey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:43 pm

Not yet i think iv worked out some of the wiring by using a multi meter on my mates I now know witch ones are power and earth and one of the wires go live when put in reverse the other 2 I have no idea yet
Iv now hit another snag iv not got the part on the windscreen to attach the mirror to
Iv ordered the correct trim to replace mine.
iv just got to find someone breaking one to remove whatever it is I need to attach the mirror and glue it on mine
There are no wires in my van iv got to wire it all myself
im really hoping someone will come up with a wiring diagram soon so I can work out video feeds
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Nederbelg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:13 am

The little steel plate, to attach the mirror on, which normally is glued to the windscreen is availlable at your dealer as a spare part!

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Wadey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:26 pm

Nederbelg wrote:The little steel plate, to attach the mirror on, which normally is glued to the windscreen is availlable at your dealer as a spare part!

Gr Nederbelg

It's not iv tried only available on the screen, iv since worked out that it's the same as any Ford after 12 onwards got 2 today at my local scrap yard. just got up take the one off my screen that holds the plastic trim on then glue the new one on and fit the mirror
Then wire it all up !
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Nordictransitcustom » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Hey guys got a question. Got a custom 2015 trend. Now my van is in the workshop due to somebody hit my car. I have a rental ans thats a 2016 custom trend WITH rear view camera. The screen for navigation and dab radio is the same, the blue small ford screen. But when i put it in reverse a color view of the back came up. So my million dollar question, is it possible to retrofit this to my car? I noticed the camera is in the plastic above the licence plate where the lights are on the door. Does anyone know if the wires are allready in the car? I know many cars comes with wire cluaters for options not aelected when phurchasing the car.
Nordictransitcustom

Postby Petervn300 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:44 am

Wadey wrote:Not yet i think iv worked out some of the wiring by using a multi meter on my mates I now know witch ones are power and earth and one of the wires go live when put in reverse the other 2 I have no idea yet
Iv now hit another snag iv not got the part on the windscreen to attach the mirror to
Iv ordered the correct trim to replace mine.
iv just got to find someone breaking one to remove whatever it is I need to attach the mirror and glue it on mine
There are no wires in my van iv got to wire it all myself
im really hoping someone will come up with a wiring diagram soon so I can work out video feeds

Hi,

Have you had any luck yet?
Can you please help me with the colors of the ones you have tested,
I have also bought a oem screen and camera,
And not sure where to start
Please help
Petervn300

Return to Transit Custom