*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Removal of Custom gear selector on the gearbox.

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Removal of Custom gear selector on the gearbox.

Postby Tomsurrey » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:39 pm

Hello. My sons having problems with his 1st gear popping out, (on his Ford Transit Custom on 2013 plates @50k miles on the clock...), and we have come to the conclusion that we will change the two gear change cables... we looked at what can be adjusted behind the console but only the neutral cable can be adjusted so that doesnt help... BUT, while we're doing this maybe its a good idea to remove the selector box as well, only 4 bolts that holds it down although somewhat awkward to get at... so, are there any issues once the 4 bolts are undone and then we remove the selector? Would anything fly out or fall off? Haha!

Once the selector is removed, hopefully with some good advice, what should we look for in the selector? Worn cogs or something?

Hopefully we can get a bit of info on this before we delve in... cheers!

regards - Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Removal of Custom gear selector on the gearbox.

Postby Largada » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:31 am

Try searching the forum there was a post on this a few weeks ago, with some techy advise

Beyond me I'm afraid. Hope you get sorted
Beware Badgers Bite
Largada
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tomsurrey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:07 am

Thanks for the heads up! I did take a look yesterday but I'll have a better look later - I have also tried to find a service manual for it... so far no luck even with Haynes'!

Cheers for the reply!

Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FJ111200 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 am

Have you tried the Ford website for a manual?

https://secure.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices ... FordSignIn

I got one for my 66 Custom here and you might have to register.
:idea: :lol: :roll:
FJ111200
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tomsurrey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks for the link... seems hopeful! I need to get my son to find the VIN number...

Thanks for the reply!

Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Chrisp74 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:16 am

Hi Tom
Personally I wouldn't remove the selector housing from the gearbox with the gearbox still in the vehicle. I think you might have issues getting it back together? I'm assuming there will be a tower like assembly that will do all the gear selecting. I think there will be a lot of things to align.
I would start with changing the cables and setting them up properly.

Have you changed the gearbox oil? Drain into a clean container. Might give you some clues?
Does anyone know the gearbox code for Customs? Usually these transmissions will do multiple Ford models and have been around for a while.
Chris
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tomsurrey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 am

Hello Chris... crikey! I thought it would all just pop off in one piece! Thanks for the info!

Only one of the cables can be adjusted and thats the neutral, as far as we could see, as it aligns the 1st, 2nd and reverse gears... the main one doesn't seem to have any adjustments on it... BUT, I guess change them and see what happens.

Many thanks for the replies!

regards - Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby trannydenz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:37 pm

Mines doing the same but popping out of 3rd gear with a bang. It's ok at low revs but pops out about 2500rpm so having to drive like a granny. It's booked in tomorrow under warranty so I'll let you know the outcome incase it's not the cables
trannydenz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tomsurrey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Hello Denz... my sons pops out of 1st gear with a BANG! Quite alarming - it only happens when hes pulling away so putting quite a load on 2nd gear... would be GREAT if you could let us know whats the problem as I feel..... its the gearbox!

What year and how many miles on your van?

Cheers - Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby trannydenz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:11 pm

Hello Tom, I took it but had to fetch it back while they wait for the part, they've ordered a synchro so the lady told me and the tech wasn't available to talk to. It's a 2017 euro6 limited with 130 miles so was like it from the start as I fetched the van with 30 miles showing. I'll let you know when they fit the synchro but I'm not holding my breath as the Wolverhampton dealer seems a bit shite.
trannydenz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chrisp74 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:53 am

trannydenz wrote:Hello Tom, I took it but had to fetch it back while they wait for the part, they've ordered a synchro so the lady told me and the tech wasn't available to talk to. It's a 2017 euro6 limited with 130 miles so was like it from the start as I fetched the van with 30 miles showing. I'll let you know when they fit the synchro but I'm not holding my breath as the Wolverhampton dealer seems a bit shite.

That's a full gearbox strip. Because its so new I think you have a good case for asking for a brand new gearbox to be fitted.
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tomsurrey » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Hello Denz... bloody hell... only a few miles and its gone!?

Thanks for the reply!!!!!

Cant wait to get the full lowdown... I fear for my sons gearbox now as I had a bad feeling it was going to be something like the synchro!!

He wont be able to afford someone else to do it - so if this is the case then I'll guess I'll have to remove it myself...!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know, as its been mentioned, that it could also have something to do with the gearbox oil as my X type Jag had a problem selecting gears until I changed the gearbox oil... oh dear... my poor lad!

Thanks again! Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby trannydenz » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:06 pm

It might be just your oil needs topping mate I don't know or a loose mount. I thought if it were the synchro it would crunch to get in gear but mine goes in fine. Ford still haven't phoned me yet to book it in ill let you know
trannydenz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Nederbelg » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:25 pm

Bad synchros are a common cause of popping out of gear. Fiat Ducato for example has this in fifth gear.
When something different causes the " popping out", the synchromesh will be damaged slightly everytime it happens. After a while it it should be replaced, either way!

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tomsurrey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:28 am

Thanks again for the replies! In my mind too... I would have thought if it were the synchro then you would have a problem selecting the gear? But he has no problem, (MUST get his VIN!!), its just when he pulls away it goes BANG!

As far as the gearbox oil... I have looked to see if there is any oil around the gearbox and its as dry as it could be! I did change his oil on his Trafic van he had before this van and when I got it out it was a 'cherry' colour... the one you use for the automatic gearboxes!!! PLUS, anyone doing a change, and the garage who I spoke to about a different matter with the Trafic didnt know, is on the Trafic gearbox you DO NOT fill to the top / overflowing!!! It has a 'set' amount of oil.

So... what to do next???? Haha... I don't wanna change the gearbox if I can get away with it!!! Haha!

Thanks again! Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Custom