*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

security

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

security

Postby Bulldogboy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Hi guys , been reading on here with concern about security, or lack of it on the custom.Not sure ive grasped the obd port scenario, how important are regular updates? What do they achieve? is it only ford who can update? If the front doors are deadlocked, does that prevent access to the obd? my current security is ...factory alarm, side door deadlocked, rear tailgate ...deadlocks both sides, quality steering lock, oh and a baseball bat just inside the front door. how vulnerable am I with the security ive mentioned? what are my weak points, and how could I beef things up? was thinking of two more deadlocks on both front doors,would that be better or worse than a hike?? This security lark is a minefield any ideas, recommendations greatfully received! my van and tools are my living,need to prevent thieving scum getting their hands on my gear!
Bulldogboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: security

Postby bigjohnthomas » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:02 am

I got mine insured
So if someone pinches it I get another one for free :P
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Bulldogboy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:18 am

Maybe i should of put all HELPFULL sugestions greatfully recieved
Bulldogboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby user774 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:20 am

The aim is to slow them down. If they're really determined they'll get your stuff anyway. There are two types of thieves..... the drugged up oppportunist who sees the van as a box holding stuff he wants to nick, and the professional operation who want the van itself. Deadlocks all round and a Hykee lock is a great way to deter the opportunist who will look at it for 30 seconds, then walk off and try the 7 year old Sprinter 9 doors down instead. Deadlocks stop most of those guys as breaking a window makes noise(unless it's got that Side window on the DCiV models) and if the driver's and passenger's door is also deadlocked the only way in is the window. However the more determined tool thief will try harder, maybe even cutting the (very) thin metal on the panels to reach your stuff. Can't do much about those guys. It's all about persuading them that your van is too slow to break in to so they leave it alone and try that Sprinter 9 doors down.

But it's the ones who want the van itself you need to be careful of. Those are usually professionals, armed with a laptop and blank keys. All they need is to get into the cab (broken window and lean through), and they can plug themselves in to your OBD port, re-program their blank key to your van, and drive it off. So obviously you'll need physical deterrents to make it as hard for them as possible. The aim is the OBD port. They know exactly where it is. Unless you've had it moved, then it'll take a while to find it. Once they do find it, if it's locked in a metal box then it's another hassle to break the box open. Once they get the box open (assuming they can find it and open it), if the OBD port is disabled, they still can't reprogram those keys.

Assuming they can reprogram a key, they then have to get the van to move. Steering wheel lock, foot pedal box (have to press the clutch to start), wheel clamps, security pole in the driveway etc all help.

Park sensibly, even at the expense of a 3 minute walk to home. Between 2 cars so they can't get a low-loader in and drag it onto the lorry, wheels turned into the kerb with a steering wheel lock so they can't cut the handbrake cable and just roll it away. Security cameras? Huge steel gates? 24 hour security patrol with air support and satellite uplink to Jack Bauer.... how much money would you like to spend on this?

Ultimately if they really really want your van, they'll get it. Probably when you're parked at the back of a client's house as you install a new radiator for them.... all you can do is make yours harder to steal than the next guy's.
user774
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:37 am

user774 wrote:..... all you can do is make yours harder to steal than the next guy's.

This is the key (no pun intended) to it imo. It doesn’t matter if it’s your car, van or house, make it more difficult to break into than your neighbours, thieves are inherently lazy, that’s what you need to focus on.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Bulldogboy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:42 pm

Great post 774, spells it out,thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed post,think deadlocks on front doors is way to go for me,going back to the obd,is it only ford who can update? Could an independent garage update? How often should updates be done? What do they acheive,is it worth it? P.s you dont know jack bower do you!
Bulldogboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Bulldogboy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Jack bauer
Bulldogboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Vansexual-@d@m » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:07 pm

im planning on getting hykee locks everyone seems to be keen on them. mine has immoboliser and alarm, steering lock (with a big red flashing LED light on it). but know ive had an idea and bought some stickers on ebay, when they arrive i'll put them on the windows inside, looks like the health and safety warning triangles, hoping this will act as a visual deterrent 'this vehicle is immobolised', 'alarmed', 'tracker fitted', 'warning CCTV in operation' ect. i also park my van at night against a wall under a street light on the drivers side and get out the other side. luckily i live upstairs in a 1up 1down flat so the van is always in veiw. but i still get those nights when you hear something and get upto check.
Vansexual-@d@m
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby BHM » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:06 am

Groan,
after my latest encounter with scrotes I thought I'd better beef-up security.

So I purchased a "powered" OBD dummy port and fitted that. Next consideration was a Hykee lock and armour shield...

about £160.00 :o . Bit more research and there is now low availability for this lock and worse, is that a pick is available :oops:

Anyways bottle of Jacks and a sleep on it, which was good as I would have bought the lock last night, and this morning I've come

to the conclusion of:

Why don't I just disconnect the drivers lock altogether including the vulnerable linkages :?

If the battery goes too flat to unlock (I have twin batts so the load lights aren't an issue), I could still open the bonnet and power-up from there?

BHM
BHM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:17 am

BHM wrote:If the battery goes too flat to unlock (I have twin batts so the load lights aren't an issue), I could still open the bonnet and power-up from there?

Erm, no. Only the starter battery is connected to the jump point, so if the aux battery goes flat, the locks won't open, and you have no access to power it up from under the bonnet. You would have to break or prise open a window, and turn the ignition key to connect both batteries to unlock, which, I hate to say, is what a thief would do :(
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Mike » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:18 am

Vansexual-@d@m wrote: bought some stickers on ebay,

What some scroat will actually think is, ‘oh look this bloke has got some 50p stickers from ebay because he can’t afford a proper alarm’ :roll:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby BHM » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:00 am

Altransit wrote:
BHM wrote:If the battery goes too flat to unlock (I have twin batts so the load lights aren't an issue), I could still open the bonnet and power-up from there?

Erm, no. Only the starter battery is connected to the jump point, so if the aux battery goes flat, the locks won't open, and you have no access to power it up from under the bonnet. You would have to break or prise open a window, and turn the ignition key to connect both batteries to unlock, which, I hate to say, is what a thief would do :(

I shall test this as I have had my aux battery very flat from the lights being on...to the point that the leds would not even light, van still locked ok on the fob

BHM
BHM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Largada » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:26 pm

Altransit wrote:

Not quite true as having been to 2different car boots and the little monster of a daughter didn't shut the back doors properly have had the pleasure of batteries running flat twice! Van wouldn't start both occasions but locks worked fine.
Hate the fact you can't bump start and need a power pack though the upshot was it reset my dodgy sync unit and was able to re-sync my phone!
Beware Badgers Bite
Largada
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Perhaps thats not a problem for you flash b*stards with 2 batteries on your customs :x
But that's what happens on my mk7 when the front batterys flat
Bloody ford
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Are the Custom batteries wired differently to the Mk7 :?: I do know that they're round the opposite way, but I assumed that the starter batt is still isolated until you turn the key :? :oops:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Transit Custom