*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

security

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: security

Postby zontarh » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:32 am

Girdles wrote:Have just fitted Garrison Hykee door lock with bezel,noticed the door skin has been dished around the lock, is this standard or have i done it wrong ?

The original design hasn't allowed for the thickness of the new bezel they've added. I fit these professionally and always grind down the retaining pin by at least 1.5mm so the door skin doesn't get pulled in when the pin is fitted. Its not too late to take it back out and grind it down. Makes a huge difference, just make sure you don't grind away too much cause you still need someting for the little screw to thread into.
zontarh

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:17 am

A poorly designed hykey lock ?
Bloody ford
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Girdles » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:09 pm

zontarh wrote:
Girdles wrote:Have just fitted Garrison Hykee door lock with bezel,noticed the door skin has been dished around the lock, is this standard or have i done it wrong ?

The original design hasn't allowed for the thickness of the new bezel they've added. I fit these professionally and always grind down the retaining pin by at least 1.5mm so the door skin doesn't get pulled in when the pin is fitted. Its not too late to take it back out and grind it down. Makes a huge difference, just make sure you don't grind away too much cause you still need someting for the little screw to thread into.

Thanks for the info.
Girdles

Postby Shaun306 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:29 pm

Largada wrote:
Altransit wrote:
BHM wrote:If the battery goes too flat to unlock (I have twin batts so the load lights aren't an issue), I could still open the bonnet and power-up from there?

Erm, no. Only the starter battery is connected to the jump point, so if the aux battery goes flat, the locks won't open, and you have no access to power it up from under the bonnet. You would have to break or prise open a window, and turn the ignition key to connect both batteries to unlock, which, I hate to say, is what a thief would do :(

Not quite true as having been to 2different car boots and the little monster of a daughter didn't shut the back doors properly have had the pleasure of batteries running flat twice! Van wouldn't start both occasions but locks worked fine.
Hate the fact you can't bump start and need a power pack though the upshot was it reset my dodgy sync unit and was able to re-sync my phone!

So why can't you bump start a custom....
Shaun306
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Don't you have to firmly depress the clutch to start it ?
That would leave the drive wheels discombobulated from the engine init?
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby BHM » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:31 am

bigjohnthomas wrote:Don't you have to firmly depress the clutch to start it ?
That would leave the drive wheels discombobulated from the engine init?

Too true, as in the event of a stall (quite common with a custom :mrgreen: ) you cant just dip the clutch, let the van roll then raise the clutch to start :roll:

BHM
BHM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:47 am

You could try but you won't have any oil pressure on your timing chain tensioner init ?
Might jump a few teeth
Might not do
Worth a try for research purposes ? :D
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby khould » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Just had a hykee lock with bezzel fitted by ford truro cost was amazing.
Lock with beezel was............ £11 yes £11 fitting was £70 so £80 as opposed to £127 from hykee without fitting, was well chuffed
khould
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby BHM » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:29 pm

BHM wrote:Groan,
after my latest encounter with scrotes I thought I'd better beef-up security.

So I purchased a "powered" OBD dummy port and fitted that. Next consideration was a Hykee lock and armour shield...

BHM

Groan time...... :(

So I purchased said Hykee lock and received a week before Xmas....

Yet to get round to fitting it........Till this evening.

Scrotes have had a go and turned/busted the drivers door lock.....Noticed van appeared unlocked when I went to put it on the drive for the night...

Strangely nothing appears stolen :?

Anyways van on drive and all doors boxed in, will fit lock tomorrow :)

Hopefully I can get old busted one out easy enough :evil:

More laters :mrgreen:
BHM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby zappa90 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:36 pm

The deadlocks will slow a thief somewhat but the issue with them is that they will only stop somebody who doesn't know what they are doing. And that is mostly nobody at all. The main problems with deadlocks and slamlocks are:

1. The door can still be bent open from the top corner. The solution for this is 'high-level' deadlocks, which are only a little bit more expensive.

2. Fit high-level deadlocks and they will cut open the roof. Seriously. And there isn't much you can do about that!

A solution me and my mates have found is fitting a GPS tracker inside one or two pieces of equipment in the van. If the van or its contents get swiped you simply go directly to where it was taken and 'collect' it. Take the police with you; or perhaps a stick and a rottweiler :)

Here are the GPS's that we have fitted in our gear. https://amzn.to/32ifUMk

They are the size of a packet of fags and the battery lasts for months. Open a panel on your big drill, groundworks tool, carpet cleaner or whatever and gaffa-tape the little beauty inside. Any time you call (or text) the tracker it sends you a text with its location on Google maps. Accuracy is within 10 feet, which should be close enough.

I appreciate this is not really an answer about deadlocks but I hope it helps with your ultimate issue, which is sleeping easy knowing you've done all you can to protect the tools that you use to support your family.
zappa90

Previous

Return to Transit Custom