*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Atermarket Side Windows

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Atermarket Side Windows

Postby Custoom » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Alrighty all,

Looking for recommendations for side windows. I have twin slide door and want to convert it into a camper, I know it's not the best layout in many peoples opinions but I have some different ideas floating about me head!!. I've seen a couple of companies, Vanpimps, Camperglass, VanWindowsDirect, all of which do the slide opening fairly cheap (a LOT cheaper than Fords £495+VAT for the hinged opener) all claiming to be the best quality not like those other cheap ones.
I've heard reports that cheap ones leak, rattle or are just very noisy.
Has anyone fitted them and had issues?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The other option was to buy two Tourneo doors and transfer the windows and trim but apparently I'd be better off painting the doors!

Cheers
Custoom

Re: Atermarket Side Windows

Postby loot » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:24 am

I'm planning on doing the same, i fitted solid glass to my mk7 and cut the holes and bonded the glass etc, you get a kit with special prep chemicals, trim etc.
The glass was second tho which means a slightly different size and 1 had a dimple in it :?

You do see genuine Ford glass on eBay sometimes tho, or you could hang on for genuine glazed doors and buy them and sell your doors, bonus if you get them in the right colour.
Mine being red is a bit tricky :?

Personally i think it best to hang fire till you see the genuine ones but if you get a company to fit them then you can expect a good job, my concern tho is finding rusty bits of grind all over my van a few weeks later.

It's just a van mate they'll say :x

(Think happy thoughts loot)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 pm

exactly, if your worried about buying sh*t ones just get your gold out and go to fords 8)
i just put the cheapest ones i could find in mine :P
its only a bit of glass init
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Custoom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks

If anyone has photos of maybe Vanpimps sliding windows installed that would be appreciated too.

I'm guessing there must be quite a few out there with them.

Cheers
Custoom

Return to Transit Custom