*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Stereo kaput so upgrading

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Stereo kaput so upgrading

Postby sladeyboy1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:48 pm

I have a 2014 custom sport and the stereo and the display have overheated and now not working. After speaking to Ford it seems they think it would need a new head unit. Not sure myself but I am no expert! Has anybody upgraded the stereo in their transit custom to something better with maybe apple play? Also do the steering wheel controls still work or what about the parking sensors?

Any help / pictures would be great
sladeyboy1
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Stereo kaput so upgrading

Postby Flatfour1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:50 pm

Not able to offer any advise about upgrades but my money would be on the display screen being the culprit in this situation. It's a 5 minuite job to get the display screen out and check the model /part number on the back and try to get another from say ebay to get the system all up and running again.
Flatfour1
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby S60r » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:20 am

The above would be the cheapest way if it was indeed the display....

To upgrade is do able but I wasn't happy with the cost and loss of a couple of features.

The kit to plug and play a new double din head unit is about 200 quid or just over, including new facia, new separate airbag light/lock light, steering wheel interface, areal adapter etc.... then add the cost of your head unit.

You do lose the telephone buttons from the steering wheel control but keep the volume and track up and down. You lose visual of the parking sensors but retain the sound only (I think)! You also lose the ability to change the time & date on the top screen which is really annoying.... too many downsides for my liking so I upgraded the oem stuff.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Dr Smith » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:39 am

Just thinking out aloud, is it possible to just replace the screen of the oem unit with an aftermarket screen so that all the factory functions like f/r parking sensors, reverse camera, clock display, etc are retained but on a new screen?

Here in Oz we have just had the auto euro6 models arrive and after a delay I received my sd-card for the satnav however owning other Fords with Sync3 you know what you're missing visually when back in the Transit Custom.
Dr Smith

Return to Transit Custom