*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Battery light on

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Battery light on

Postby Pugs » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:48 am

Hi all,

Typically with a week to go before our hols in the camper, the battery light comes on after 5 minutes of driving and remains on. Stop\Start appears not be an option to turn on or off manually and the aux battery for the cmaper appears not be being charged (uses CTEK - Solar\Alternator\trickle charge). The van starts ok at the moment but I'm thinking that the alternator has given up the ghost, any opinions?

Thanks
Wellhouse Terrier Transit Custom
Pugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Battery light on

Postby yasser » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:05 pm

have a look at the last few pages (about pages 16-17)of the Terrier thread. I know they have been talking about batteries ad the solar panels.

https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic ... 5&t=167312
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bolti » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Pugs wrote:Hi all,

Typically with a week to go before our hols in the camper, the battery light comes on after 5 minutes of driving and remains on. Stop\Start appears not be an option to turn on or off manually and the aux battery for the cmaper appears not be being charged (uses CTEK - Solar\Alternator\trickle charge). The van starts ok at the moment but I'm thinking that the alternator has given up the ghost, any opinions?

Thanks

The Banner leisure batteries fitted by Wellhouse are not maintenence free. Recently discovered this and on checking mine the plates in every cell were exposed (van 2.5 years old). Although the battery seemed fine topped up decided to replace it with a Varta maintenence free one .A. because it a pain to try and access to regularly maintain .B. if it is on the way out it will do the alternator no good.
Also the solar panel, mines duff. Contacted Wellhouse who seemed to know the Amporer panels are cr##. An easy way to see if your panel is working. Take van into sunshine, turn engine off, allow a couple of minutes, peer under passenger seat, you should now see three lights, one green two amber. Hope this helps.
bolti
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pugs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:33 am

Good stuff but I think the battery light on the dashboard is only to do with the Ford side of things and not the leisure battery. The CTEK unit is showing that the 'service' battery is not getting charged by the alternator. No LED light for the alternator symbol on the CTEK unit. Something like this.....

CTEK D250S

shows the following when the engine is running\off

1. Power On
2. Alternator lamp flashing
3. Solar Panel lit
4. No light to ‘service battery’

When van is plugged into 240v supply

1. Power On
2. Solar panel lit
3. Alternator lamp flashing
4. No light to ‘service battery’

When van is off and not plugged in to 240v AFTER having reset the master fuse trip switches (not sure if this is a time delay before it switches to the solar panel)

1. Power On
2. Solar Panel lit
3. Service battery lit

The CTEK MXS 10 when connected to 240v

1. Power On lit
2. Temp sensor On
3. Normal Battery Program On
4. 4 LEDS lit – Ready To Use
Pugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pugs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:38 am

Also with stop\start being disabled when the dash battery light is on IF the van has a stop\start battery then that isn't getting charged either by the alt. Anyone confirm if the Terrier has 3 batteries ie vehicle, stop\start? and of course the leisure battery
Pugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bolti » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:23 pm

By service battery do you mean leisure battery?
If it is not lit on the D250s it is fully charged.
Why you have a flashing alternator light, no idea, no mention in the manual.
Glad to hear your solar panel is working well.
As to if we have three batteries, I think so. But the only way to be sure is to look under the drivers seat. If you do please post a photo on here. Good luck getting to the bottom of your problem.
bolti
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pugs » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Oh well, took it to local garage and they confirmed it's the alternator BUT it's 470 quid new plus labour, so will have to book it into the local Ford dealer since it's still under warranty, problem is they wont listen to the other gaarge, wont order the part in and cant get the van booked in, until next Wednesday, (and then wait for the part) so there goes the holiday, ferry booking loss etc. Think I'm getting rid of the van and put the money towards a new Jeep Wrangler.
Pugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:41 pm

sorry to hear this...

The ford way of dealing with warranty claims is utter rubbish.... there is however a quicker solution.... they do "transit centres" where you can drive in and get warranty work ok'd sameday... see if there is one near you... an alternator may be a stock item.

I had a door switch and parking sensor go bad... I couldn't be bothered to jump through the hoops that Ford insist on so bought the parts and did it myself as it was way cheaper than losing 2 or 3 days money..... but then that is the idea of it I guess!

edit... forgot to add the obligatory... "Bloody Ford" sign off.

Bloody Ford.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:33 pm

Yeah transit center that's where I took mine no furking about like at a car dealer trying to see you sh*t bish bosh done :P
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Transit Custom