*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

twin battery fitting

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

twin battery fitting

Postby aerialdave » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:13 am

Has anyone in here done the twin street conversion ?
On my Mk7 it was straight forward,
but on the custom it has a +red diode with loom dissapesaring back sat above where the second battery goes,
Any pointers ?
2014 custom sport
aerialdave
Sportvan Owner!
Sportvan Owner!

Re: twin battery fitting

Postby moley551 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:34 am

There was a post about this a few yers ago, I priced up the parts needed and with dealer coding etc, I think it worked out over £400. After trying a smart relay ect, it worked but was very limited, I've now got a totally independent battery with a solar panel and it works really well and keeps the battery fully charged. The charge controller could also be connected to the Van battery to charge it, but I'm not sure how the van will react to the battery being topped up constantly.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby aerialdave » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:21 am

Spoke to a transit tech at ford he said ignore it just tape up diode & just connect up as normal it will be fine.
Job done
2014 custom sport
aerialdave
Sportvan Owner!
Sportvan Owner!

Postby S60r » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:47 am

aerialdave wrote:Spoke to a transit tech at ford he said ignore it just tape up diode & just connect up as normal it will be fine.
Job done

Hi Dave, I've thought about doing this... why are you adding second battery? Have you had probs?

Cheers.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby aerialdave » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:22 am

Yeah had a few flat battery's I have a sound system & when I forget & leave the radio on along with my numerous rear led loading area lights 4 hours of that im like noooo & getting the customer to give me a jump start lol

Pretty straight forward brief description for first timers
Whip the drivers chair off (torques bit) sit chair sideways on passenger seat
Take metal plate off (8mm socket) & remove plastic covers (clipped all around)
Theres a filler plastic cover where the second battery goes whip that out there are two dead plugs on top of that slide them out & tape em up & put them out the way.. (Not needed so I'm told by ford tech)
Matached battery goes in a treat.
Just need 1ft of each colour big ass cable & terminals
Black to black
Red ta Red
Took about an hour
2014 custom sport
aerialdave
Sportvan Owner!
Sportvan Owner!

Postby moley551 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:55 am

The normal twin battery system is much more complex than just double the capacity, normal starter batteries don't last long if you repeatedly drop the voltage, Leisure batteries (deep cycle) don't like high current draws, ie starting. The stop/start systems use AGM batteries that will do deep cycle and high current. The standard single battery even with two of them will be killed quickly running inverters or lights for long periods.
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby aerialdave » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:30 am

moley551 wrote:The normal twin battery system is much more complex than just double the capacity, normal starter batteries don't last long if you repeatedly drop the voltage, Leisure batteries (deep cycle) don't like high current draws, ie starting. The stop/start systems use AGM batteries that will do deep cycle and high current. The standard single battery even with two of them will be killed quickly running inverters or lights for long periods.

Yeah that's why I didn't connect the diode because that's something to do with the smart system with regard to the easy start but already on fitting the new battery I've noticed that when I start my van now the stereo doesn't go off which means it's not dropping below a certain voltage.
So Happy days
2014 custom sport
aerialdave
Sportvan Owner!
Sportvan Owner!

Postby moley551 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:15 am

aerialdave wrote:
moley551 wrote:The normal twin battery system is much more complex than just double the capacity, normal starter batteries don't last long if you repeatedly drop the voltage, Leisure batteries (deep cycle) don't like high current draws, ie starting. The stop/start systems use AGM batteries that will do deep cycle and high current. The standard single battery even with two of them will be killed quickly running inverters or lights for long periods.

Yeah that's why I didn't connect the diode because that's something to do with the smart system with regard to the easy start but already on fitting the new battery I've noticed that when I start my van now the stereo doesn't go off which means it's not dropping below a certain voltage.
So Happy days

Sadly Dave I don't think the "Happy days" will turn into happy months, It sounds to me like your original battery is goosed and it will shag the new one, long term it would probably be better to just replace the old battery.
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Mine hasn't showed signs of failing yet, but as soon as it loses charge once it will be down the recycling place at the tip. I will change out the Ford one the moment it plays up.

Had a few Fords and their batteries now.......and they are never right once they have lost their charge. They never seem to fully recharge again. The average life of the silver calcium Ford ones seem to be just around 2 years. I had one fail just over a year old on a Galaxy. Even a Euro car parts cheapie was better than the oem Ford battery.

I hope the twin battery solves your issue though.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby aerialdave » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:20 pm

S60r wrote:Mine hasn't showed signs of failing yet, but as soon as it loses charge once it will be down the recycling place at the tip. I will change out the Ford one the moment it plays up.

Had a few Fords and their batteries now.......and they are never right once they have lost their charge. They never seem to fully recharge again. The average life of the silver calcium Ford ones seem to be just around 2 years. I had one fail just over a year old on a Galaxy. Even a Euro car parts cheapie was better than the oem Ford battery.

I hope the twin battery solves your issue though.

Agreed mate 1st one when the van was new lasted just about two years.
2014 custom sport
aerialdave
Sportvan Owner!
Sportvan Owner!

Postby aerialdave » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:22 pm

moley551 wrote:
aerialdave wrote:

So Happy days

Sadly Dave I don't think the "Happy days" will turn into happy months, It sounds to me like your original battery is goosed and it will shag the new one, long term it would probably be better to just replace the old battery.

I did contemplate doing it but the other battery is only nine months old(got my brain ticking now)
2014 custom sport
aerialdave
Sportvan Owner!
Sportvan Owner!

Postby loot » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:56 pm

Any updated thoughts on this.
My brother has a 17 plate mk1 custom with 130 e6 engine +blu..

He's always having to jump start it after a few days. He's bought a few batteries in the last 3 years. He's a gas safe so may or may not be doing regular stop starts.
I'm seeing battery second split relays for 0to 100 quid.

I'm looking into it now but any info would be appreciated.

Do the bms need adding? It doesn't currently have ss but i do want it to have a split relay the same as the mk7.

Cheers.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Return to Transit Custom