*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

problems with the custom hunting ect

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

problems with the custom hunting ect

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:32 pm

problems with the custom hunting more so when cold on start up and very slow throttle response (2-3 sec)

f*** dealers have had it in twice and still the same,,,,,,had injector re code,,,,pcm update ect......pissed off with it......155bhp 16 reg
psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: problems with the custom hunting ect

Postby moley551 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:30 pm

It's a "marmite" suggestion but have you tried some 2 stoke! without a doubt in my mind when the van gets a little rough, with this on/off throttle thing, I pop in the Oil and all is good again. I think it's to do with the EGR valve sticking, 30/60 seconds after shutdown the EGR opens and closes once or twice you can hear it! with oil it's much quieter and sounds like it's moving faster. When I get this juddering the valve sounds like chalk on a black board and strained.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:01 am

i told the dealers I think it is egr,,,had this prob on a 2.2 13reg mk7 with more miles and a bit worse,,,but when I put a new one on it was fine and went better...
so once again I will have too force egr on them as it is still under warrenty and only done 16,000 miles,,,,, and the take off from revs at idel is sh*t..
I have had more problems with this than my ldv maxus over 6yrs and it is a 58reg.....and it will pull the arse off the 155 custom. :x :x
psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby S60r » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:44 am

If they won't play ball with the warranty then why not delete it and remap.

I will be doing this when my EGR starts mucking around. Just get it done in a way that the valve is blanked from within..... so that to a visual inspection all is well. The rest is just software.

They'll be a few nay sayers along shortly to explain that its an MOT failure and other such like.... but trust me... its not if done correctly, it always passes emissions and smoke tests..... and then the issue is gone forever.

The extra (50 or so in your case) torques and couple of mpg is a nice bonus too.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:03 pm

S60r wrote:If they won't play ball with the warranty then why not delete it and remap.

I will be doing this when my EGR starts mucking around. Just get it done in a way that the valve is blanked from within..... so that to a visual inspection all is well. The rest is just software.

They'll be a few nay sayers along shortly to explain that its an MOT failure and other such like.... but trust me... its not if done correctly, it always passes emissions and smoke tests..... and then the issue is gone forever.

The extra (50 or so in your case) torques and couple of mpg is a nice bonus too.

agreed,,,i will give the dealer more EGR grief 1st thing in the morning,,,,,,then back in AGAIN. :x :x
psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:27 pm

anybody els have any ideas.
psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dunf » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:54 pm

S60r wrote:If they won't play ball with the warranty then why not delete it and remap.

Would seem they're trying to shut the option down at source, targeting garages advertising removal services.
http://pmmonline.co.uk/article/playing- ... t-testing/
dunf
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:48 am

Yes the DPF is very conspicuous by its absence,(even that is do able in a way it appears in tact)........ the EGR however is impossible to spot unless you physically take the pipe off the valve and test it. That's not happening in an MOT.

As for stopping the removals, that seems impossible to achieve also. This article is targeting garages who offer MOT testing so the DVSA has jurisdiction over them.

How can you stop a tuning house like Celtic that offers no MOT testing, or a back street garage or even DIY removal?

We all know it's not legal, but the option is there.

As for other ideas, there aren't any if your issue is the EGR valve. It's replace it or delete it. (assuming the EGR is the culprit). If this one has lasted 16k miles or so it surely must be replaced under warranty.
That must be the first port of call. I would definitely try moleys suggestion of 2 stroke. Mine gets it every other fill. About 300ml to a full tank. You could also try other additives to clean it through.... diesel rhino seems to work well but it stinks! The treatment dose of that stuff may get it going again?
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 pm

because dealer can not find fault code,,,and they no its hunting cold.....they wont do owt and have come up with bullshit excuses.
:x :x :x
psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby moley551 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:23 am

psv-hgv-flt wrote:because dealer can not find fault code,,,and they no its hunting cold.....they wont do owt and have come up with bullshit excuses.
:x :x :x

I've been down this road, probably 5 or more dealer visits for juddering, throttle response and lack of power. They went through all the standard steps but nothing made an improvement. Two things worked for me 1, Oil level make sure its not overfilled ie 5mm below full mark and 2, Adding the 2 stroke oil.......For 18 months (30k miles) this van was a dog, I've now done a further 50k miles with no issue's at all. You've got nothing to lose by giving it a go.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:49 pm

a gallon can and a match is a must.
psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Custom