*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Leisure Battery

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Leisure Battery

Postby moley551 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:56 am

New one on me, got called out yesterday to a holiday park for a gas leak, possibly from two x 2000lts tanks. Customer had been awoken by a "gas" alarm. The place is stinking but definitely not a Propane smell, my gas detector is going mental, the smell was changing from sewage to strong piss to ammonia depending on how close I got to the camper, checked the gas fridge for a refrigerant leak (ammonia) that's ok, cupboard with a Truma water heater has a really strong smell but no obvious cause. When we lifted the seat to get to the Lesiure batteries, F@$k me one battery was red hot and gassing like fook, pulled the fuse and it just kept going, got it out and away from the camper, Site manager has gone to get advice from Google or the Fire brigade, 50mins later Trumpton turn up with not a clue what to do with it apart from telling us it's still 70°c....ended up pulling the cover off a pouring water in untill it stopped venting.
So the morale of the story is maybe the vent pipe that was still coiled up and taped to the side of the battery should have been vented to outside....The gas alarm was actually a CO alarm...I assume the gas that was being detected was Hydrogen so a lucky escape for the owner's.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Leisure Battery

Postby mistericeman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Quite common for some CO alarms to detect Hydrogen from gassing battery

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showth ... g-hydrogen
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado