*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Pop up roof rack and H2 roof

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Pop up roof rack and H2 roof

Postby dan_robinson » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 pm

Can you have such a thing?

OR is the pop up roof rack exclusive to the H1?

Suppose you'd need some ladders bolted to the back doors too though.

TIA
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Pop up roof rack and H2 roof

Postby The transporter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:50 pm

The pop up roof rack is for H1 only... In order to get them to pop up you need to access them from the side of the van... Even the H1 is too high for me
VW Commecial Vehicles.....Lets Walk to Work.
The transporter
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dan_robinson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:33 am

I'm 6'7" :lol:

I was having a thought... Following on from my "Bloody Ford" thread. I have confirmation that Ford are building me another van, and although I have not got a build date, I'm wondering if i ask and pay for the H2 roof, it will delay the build long enough to guarantee a Face lift. :D.

Can't decide it the half dozen times I use the rack offsets the extra head room.....

Very tricky :D.
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby user774 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:44 am

I’m 6ft 5, and the extra headroom on my L2H2 is a godsend when scrambling over tools to find that one you haven’t used in 6 months..

I also have three rhino bars on the top for a ladder, but it did mean I had to get a rhino door ladder on the back to get up there, but I think it looks pretty good....

If I rotate the image, it crops it so you can’t see the ladder :/
user774
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dan_robinson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:47 am

Nice!

But I do many miles, and only need roof storage once in a blue moon, and at short notice. Fixed bars are a no no for me ;(
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby user774 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:09 am

Fair enough. Mine is local journeys 95% of the time so not an issue for me. 2.5k miles and had it almost a year, but when it does go on the motorway there is a loud harmonic whine from the ladder on top. Maybe I should buy it some goggles....
user774
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dan_robinson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:49 am

I do around 30k a year, half of this is motorway. :evil:
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby The transporter » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:38 am

Dan, I've not done 30k in two and a half years.... The van will be going back to the lease company soon and I can spec up my new van. The pop up roof bars will be on my list as all my copper fits inside. Having looked at your van, I have been toying with the idea of having my fittings in bins down the centre of the van so that I can get to stuff from both side doors and tools lower down, reaching accross the van is killing my back the rear section closed off for carting materials around in.
The transporter
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dan_robinson » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:49 am

An interesting idea, would you have a ledge over the pipe shoot?

My concern would be that back to back racks would eat up too much load space once you add the two in the rear section. It's amazing how much a small reduction in available volume affects how much stuff you can get in.

Having the outward facing racks on thy wall nearside is working really well though.
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dan_robinson » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:52 am

Having a rear bulkhead for me was not a good idea as I do a lot of installation work and having a load limit of about 1200mm was a total pita. Which didn't quite outweigh the convenience of the rear facing storage.
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby The transporter » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:02 pm

At the moment, I have raised the entire floor giving me pipe storage to the left and space for steps and small ladders to the right... The problem is that all kinds of stuff disappears under there, it took me ten minutes to fish out my pipe bender the other morning.. I can't decide how I would have the racks, perhaps closer to the side doors so there is a channel down the middle for longer items and perhaps not a full bulk head to the rear.. I do a wide range of stuff from aircon through gas, oil and Biomass but most of my work is service and repair but also do the odd install so parts and small item storage is more important to me but it would be good to have room to slot in the odd boiler and flue... Anything bigger can go in the trailer..
The transporter
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dan_robinson » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:12 pm

Have you seen the design drawings of my new van racks?
dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dan_robinson » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:31 pm

dan_robinson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby The transporter » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Sadly, Photobucket sucks big time and I can't see your drawing but I did see the photos of the load area in your post about the radar controlled cruise control and those pictures have got me thinking about mirroring the racking that you have at one side door with the same at the other. Parts bins higher up and drills and stuff lower down... I have found that my two fat max tool bags sit nicely on the step so there is room for four with two side doors
The transporter
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom