*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Custom DCIV - dual-purpose vehicle? (speed limits)

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Transit Custom DCIV - dual-purpose vehicle? (speed limits)

Postby a11y » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Has anyone with a DCIV made the necessary changes for dual-purpose vehicle status?

And if you have, has anyone subsequently run into issues or had hassle proving you’re then legally permitted to travel at normal speed limits?

I’ve tried living with the lower ‘van’ speed limits, but too much of my use is on single-carriageway: I'm in Scotlandshire with no motorway north of where I live. It cruises so capably at 60mph (50mph feels very slow) and my last ‘van’ qualified for normal speed limits being registered as a campervan, so I’m not used to dawdling along at slower speeds.

Criteria for a vehicle to be dual-purpose is all listed HERE on government website for anyone interested in the source. Quick summary:

(a) Unladen weight less than 2,040kg;
(b) fixed roof and at least 1 row of extra seats;
(c) side windows with area of at least 1850cm2;
(d) rear windows with area of at least 770cm2;
(e) seating area must account for at least one third of the internal length.

A 290 H1L2 DCIV like mine meets criteria (a), (b), (c) and (e) but fails on rear window visibility (d) – I’ve got a solid tailgate, and the window in the bulkhead is fractionally too small (it’s glazed area is 38x18cm, i.e. 684cm2). Obviously I’d have to fit a rear view mirror too.

Has anyone fitted a larger bulkhead window?

And has anyone fitted a tailgate window?

Basically I’m concerned that even if I do the above I’ll still run the risk of hassle proving I’m allowed to travel at normal speeds, I just want an easy life :)

Cheers.
2017 Transit Custom DCIV 290 L2 130ps | Also a recovering VWT5-aholic...
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Transit Custom DCIV - dual-purpose vehicle? (speed limit

Postby richbee » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:33 pm

I looked into this - as far as I recall the L2 DCIV is heavier than the 2040kg weight anyway, so fails on that count as well! I have exactly that vehicle
The L1 just about squeezes in weight wise, I assumed you would have to remove the bulkhead (no actual evidence to support that tho) and definitely fit the rear window.

It is a pain being stuck at 50 / 60 on single / dual carriageways - especially droving up to inverness up the A9 - 109 miles of average camera misery at 50mph :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby se7en » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:06 pm

Out of interest, if you get dual-purpose status, at what rate is the road tax calculated ? as a van at £225, or as an M1 car, like the tourneo, on emissions ? which I believe is more ?
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richbee » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:51 pm

Don't think it changes to car tax or M1 status - it seems a bit of a grey area
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby a11y » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Hmm, might be a non-starter if I’ve miscalculated the weight. Admittedly identifying the correct weight to use isn’t that clear hence I might be wrong (I’m married, so I’m used to being ‘wrong' :D ). I used figures from the Ford brochure when calculating it, but when I’ve checked back to ratify my source the latest version of the brochure isn’t consistent with the figures I had previously. Bear with me...

The latest brochure (weights on page 41) quotes 290 L2H1 DCIV "min kerb weight" as ranging from 2055-2209. Lightest will be for a basic trim standard DCIV. Brochure quotes that, for example, air con adds 18kg but other options such as single passenger seat in place of double saves 12kg, so very much depends on spec.

Min kerb weight excludes driver but includes fluids and 90% fuel.

But the 2040kg target is for "unladen weight" which excludes fuel, so take 60kg off that (90% of 80L tank = 72L diesel = 60kg, because density of diesel = 832kg/m3).

So, unladen weight of a 290 L2H1 DCIV will be 1955-2149kg. Difficult is knowing where in that range my Limited spec is, but a realistic guess would having more kit than a Base spec will place it more towards the top of that range. Bugger :(

Not giving up though until I know for sure. Need to check what/if any weights are quoted on the VIN plate under the bonnet or on the V5 and go from there...
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby a11y » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Taxation class doesn’t change – unless things/policy has changed recently within the government/VOSA/whoever governs this.
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:29 pm

a11y wrote:Hmm, might be a non-starter if I’ve miscalculated the weight. Admittedly identifying the correct weight to use isn’t that clear hence I might be wrong (I’m married, so I’m used to being ‘wrong' :D ). I used figures from the Ford brochure when calculating it, but when I’ve checked back to ratify my source the latest version of the brochure isn’t consistent with the figures I had previously. Bear with me...

The latest brochure (weights on page 41) quotes 290 L2H1 DCIV "min kerb weight" as ranging from 2055-2209. Lightest will be for a basic trim standard DCIV. Brochure quotes that, for example, air con adds 18kg but other options such as single passenger seat in place of double saves 12kg, so very much depends on spec.

Min kerb weight excludes driver but includes fluids and 90% fuel.

But the 2040kg target is for "unladen weight" which excludes fuel, so take 60kg off that (90% of 80L tank = 72L diesel = 60kg, because density of diesel = 832kg/m3).

So, unladen weight of a 290 L2H1 DCIV will be 1955-2149kg. Difficult is knowing where in that range my Limited spec is, but a realistic guess would having more kit than a Base spec will place it more towards the top of that range. Bugger :(

Not giving up though until I know for sure. Need to check what/if any weights are quoted on the VIN plate under the bonnet or on the V5 and go from there...

Good luck with that - be interesting to see the outcome - really hope you're right :D :D :D :D
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby HandySparks » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:55 pm

richbee wrote:It is a pain being stuck at 50 / 60 on single / dual carriageways - especially droving up to inverness up the A9 - 109 miles of average camera misery at 50mph :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyone know which speed limit average speed cameras use? Circumstantial evidence suggests that they check vehicle speed against the general road limit rather than the limit for individual vehicle types.
Transit Custom L1H1 Limited 155 DIB

Electrician in Liphook http://www.neish.co.uk
HandySparks
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:24 pm

HandySparks wrote:
richbee wrote:It is a pain being stuck at 50 / 60 on single / dual carriageways - especially droving up to inverness up the A9 - 109 miles of average camera misery at 50mph :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyone know which speed limit average speed cameras use? Circumstantial evidence suggests that they check vehicle speed against the general road limit rather than the limit for individual vehicle types.
I've heard mixed reports - I don't risk it, stick to 55 in 50 & 65 in 60

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richbee » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:26 pm

richbee wrote:
HandySparks wrote:

I've heard mixed reports - I don't risk it, stick to 55 in 50 & 65 in 60

http://www.businessvans.co.uk/van-law/speeds/smart-speed-camera-warning-to-van-drivers/

richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby a11y » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:41 pm

OK... different approach. Checked my registration document when I got home.

My registration document lists "mass in service" of my van as 2131kg. My understanding is this is the same as “Mass in running order” quoted by Ford, and according to Ford that INCLUDES a 75kg driver plus 90% fuel (60kg). Sooooo to calculate “unladen weight” from this requires deducting weight of driver and fuel from “mass in running order/in service”.

Unladen weight = 2131 - 75 - 60 = 1996kg

Not celebrating (yet) as I want/need to confirm 100% what "mass in service" means/includes/excludes to rule out any ambiguity.

Thoughts?
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:00 pm

a11y wrote:OK... different approach. Checked my registration document when I got home.

My registration document lists "mass in service" of my van as 2131kg. My understanding is this is the same as “Mass in running order” quoted by Ford, and according to Ford that INCLUDES a 75kg driver plus 90% fuel (60kg). Sooooo to calculate “unladen weight” from this requires deducting weight of driver and fuel from “mass in running order/in service”.

Unladen weight = 2131 - 75 - 60 = 1996kg

Not celebrating (yet) as I want/need to confirm 100% what "mass in service" means/includes/excludes to rule out any ambiguity.

Thoughts?

You just might be onto something there :mrgreen: - google search indicates that 'mass in service' includes driver & fuel. And that 'unladen' includes neither.
My V5 also says 2131kg.

What's the next step? Contact DVLA and ask for the procedure to re-classify? Or buy rear door glass??!
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Fook me this made me go cross-eyed :(
Sounds like you are cutting your calculations fine like take a mars bar into your van then the feds will have you :-(

Vosa/dvsa want to send you round in loops to hopefully get you to think oh i can't be bothered, but if you persist and tick off all the boxes then they should comply.

But in a nutshell they want you to modify your van enough that you can't quickly modify it back to a panel van in order to work it, atleast not in a way that can remove 'intent'.

If like to turn my van into an mpv camper ute type van, not interested in working it, swb 290, twin doors so I'll keep watching :o
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby richbee » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:40 pm

loot wrote:Fook me this made me go cross-eyed :(
But in a nutshell they want you to modify your van enough that you can't quickly modify it back to a panel van in order to work it, atleast not in a way that can remove 'intent'.

Which is fine if you don't want to work it anyway. Mine is my personal car & mountain bike transport, plus occasional camping in the back.
If I can get 'normal' speed limits by fitting a pair of rear door windows, it will be a result! :D :D
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:43 pm

I've done 7000 miles driving it normal :oops:

I have the same plans for my van, missed out on a full camper interior recently.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Transit Custom