*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Custom DCIV - dual-purpose vehicle? (speed limits)

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Transit Custom DCIV - dual-purpose vehicle? (speed limit

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:51 pm

Just slow down man
You might kill a child
I went all the way to London and back without breaking 1 speed limit yesterday :D
Fooking 50mph on the a15 :x and 60 on the a1 :x nearly nodded off
Bloody vans :x
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby loot » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:57 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:Just slow down man
You might kill a child
I went all the way to London and back without breaking 1 speed limit yesterday :D
Fooking 50mph on the a15 :x and 60 on the a1 :x nearly nodded off
Bloody vans :x

Hey have you noticed that since you became a gentlemen ppl don't see you?

Fook i have to keep my wits about me because many many times ppl nearly hit my bright red van that they can't see. :x

Pulling out on me, cutting me up, under taking me on the left on roundabouts overtaking me on the right before i move over into that lane, it's very scary.

I joined a duel carriageway and was looking right for cards coming towards me i was joining left and as i pulled out this pr*ck came from nowhere across the carriageway doing a U turn and cut me up, i slammed on in disbelief and he did to and stalled it and rolled back, he had a grin on and raised his arms to say wtf.
Hr transit no anti stall :lol:
Screw you i thought and i went off and left him. Wishy washy windows on his van, yeah wishy washy wan*er more like bloody tramps.
:cry:

Think i need to sell it before it gets wiped out.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:50 pm

:lol: that happens to the other van
You know my bright red extra high extra long bright red with Scooby doos on it
No one can see that
The blacker than a black mans cape black custom on the other hand been good for people seeing it so far
Perhaps its a red thing :lol:
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:03 pm

I'll swap you your invisible red custom for my invisible blue tramp chariot :lol: :wink: Even with Blackpool lights on nobody can see it. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby a11y » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:08 am

My choice of magnetic grey wasn’t sensible – living in Scotland it blends into the dullness most of the time

Like richbee my Transit’s for that sort of use, not work, so yeah the higher limit would be lovely. North of Perth there’s nowhere legally a van can drive more than 60mph without camper conversion or dual-purpose classification. And its crazy that when I tow my caravan with the Transit I don’t have to slow down anywhere except motorways. Same speed limits apply except motorways… nuts.
2017 Transit Custom DCIV 290 L2 130ps | Also a recovering VWT5-aholic...
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby a11y » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:16 am

richbee wrote:You just might be onto something there :mrgreen: - google search indicates that 'mass in service' includes driver & fuel. And that 'unladen' includes neither.
My V5 also says 2131kg.

What's the next step? Contact DVLA and ask for the procedure to re-classify? Or buy rear door glass??!

Unsure on next steps :)

Need to re-measure the bulkhead window - I think it’s a bawhair too small to satisfy the rearwards visibility regulations so might require minor enlarging. Tailgate glazing I’ve already got a supplier/quote, but pointless doing it until I confirm if I can do anything with the bulkhead.

Don’t know about DVLA re-classification. Unsure that would change anything on registration document, but a vehicle’s permitted speed limits must be documented by some authority somewhere – otherwise how do so-called smart speed cameras check that you’re travelling at a legal or not speed? I’d argue (politely) the toss if ever stopped, just keep a copy of the regs in the van with an idiot-proof interpretation of them. Would be a pain for sure if it happened though.
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:29 am

loot wrote:I've done 7000 miles driving it normal :oops:

I have the same plans for my van, missed out on a full camper interior recently.
Oops
My friend bought a custom sport, didn't realise there were lower limits for vans for 6 months, til I bought mine & told him!
He was most disgruntled

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richbee » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:56 pm

a11y wrote:
richbee wrote:You just might be onto something there :mrgreen: - google search indicates that 'mass in service' includes driver & fuel. And that 'unladen' includes neither.
My V5 also says 2131kg.

What's the next step? Contact DVLA and ask for the procedure to re-classify? Or buy rear door glass??!

Need to re-measure the bulkhead window - I think it’s a bawhair too small to satisfy the rearwards visibility regulations so might require minor enlarging. Tailgate glazing I’ve already got a supplier/quote, but pointless doing it until I confirm if I can do anything with the bulkhead.

Don’t know about DVLA re-classification. Unsure that would change anything on registration document, but a vehicle’s permitted speed limits must be documented by some authority somewhere – otherwise how do so-called smart speed cameras check that you’re travelling at a legal or not speed? I’d argue (politely) the toss if ever stopped, just keep a copy of the regs in the van with an idiot-proof interpretation of them. Would be a pain for sure if it happened though.

Not sure you would need a rear view mirror:
Cars and dual purpose vehicles need a rear view mirror "Unless the internal mirror cannot provide an adequate view to the rear."
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... irrors.pdf

This kind of suggests that you could leave the bulkhead and you wouldn't need a mirror as it wouldn't help you to see - the rear glazed doors are the only part which is specified in the dual purpose vehicle regulations - it doesn't mention mirrors or internal bulkheads etc.
Slightly odd, but would be good if it means less modifications required!
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richbee » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:13 pm

richbee wrote:
a11y wrote:
My V5 also says 2131kg.

Not sure you would need a rear view mirror:
Cars and dual purpose vehicles need a rear view mirror "Unless the internal mirror cannot provide an adequate view to the rear."
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... irrors.pdf

This kind of suggests that you could leave the bulkhead and you wouldn't need a mirror as it wouldn't help you to see - the rear glazed doors are the only part which is specified in the dual purpose vehicle regulations - it doesn't mention mirrors or internal bulkheads etc.
Slightly odd, but would be good if it means less modifications required!

I've just emailed this to the DVLA - see if we get anywhere

"I believe that my vehicle could be eligible for reclassification as a 'dual purpose' vehicle. I use it as my personal car, transporting mountain bikes for recreational purposes and sometimes sleeping in. It is not a work vehicle at all.

It has 2 rows of seats, seating 6 in total, a fixed roof, side windows and rear door windows.
The only part I am not sure about is the unladen weight - which needs to be less than 2040kg.
My v5c shows a 'mass in service' of 2131kg - this includes driver & a 90% full fuel tank.
Subtracting 75kg for the nominal driver weight and 60kg for 90% of the 80 litre fuel tank, I believe would give an unladen weight of 1995kg.

Please can you confirm if my understanding and calculations are correct?
If so, how would I go about registering my vehicle as 'dual purpose'?"
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:38 pm

What happens at 100% fuel? Illegal? Bloody red tape makes no sense, plus I'm sure there's fecking range rovers out there that weight more than this?

There are 2 ways that i know of, a company stuck as svtech who can help you with paperwork (for a fee)
Or change of vehicle on the logbook. But i don't know how exactly so if you get anywhere do keep this thread updated as I'm sure it'll help others, myself included 8)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby a11y » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:55 pm

Excellent, keep us updated with any response you get to that.

I’ll try and do some re-measuring of the bulkhead window, but as you say the criteria around the rear visibility doesn’t mention rear view mirror – I’d imagine practically I’d want one as even limited visibility would be better than none. Didn’t think adding one would an issue (perhaps assuming incorrectly!) – there’s a plastic assembly at top-middle of windscreen with what looks like a plastic blank to pull out which I assume would then receive a rear view mirror?
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigjohnthomas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:09 pm

Yus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby richbee » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:25 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:Yus
Can definitely see something out of there
Do you use it much when driving/reversing?
I've kind of got used to relying on wing mirrors plus beepy sensors.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:33 pm

It the screen for the reversing cam
For us poor folk that don't have sat nav
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bigjohnthomas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:34 pm

Loots not got one :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom