*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Custom DCIV - dual-purpose vehicle? (speed limits)

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Transit Custom DCIV - dual-purpose vehicle? (speed limit

Postby loot » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:14 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:Loots not got one :P

Bloody show off :? Hey do your guidelines bend left straight right when you steer :P ?
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby bigjohnthomas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Yeah you twiddle the steering wheel and the move to show you where you might end up :lol:
Open the back door and you get a yellow triangle
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby richbee » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:21 pm

a11y wrote:Excellent, keep us updated with any response you get to that.

I’ll try and do some re-measuring of the bulkhead window, but as you say the criteria around the rear visibility doesn’t mention rear view mirror – I’d imagine practically I’d want one as even limited visibility would be better than none. Didn’t think adding one would an issue (perhaps assuming incorrectly!) – there’s a plastic assembly at top-middle of windscreen with what looks like a plastic blank to pull out which I assume would then receive a rear view mirror?

Hmmm..not promising so far - 2 emails saying the same thing, but not really answering the question re. speed limits:

"It may help if I explain that the information that has been provided to you is correct. As the vehicle is registered as N1 category the tax class of the vehicle cannot be changed.
I would also explain as there is no tax class or body type classification that covers a 'dual purpose' vehicle, we would not be able to register the vehicle as 'dual purpose'."

I've now explained again that i'm really only interested in the speed limits - so how do I prove that:
1. my vehicle is the correct weight - is it enough to go off the V5 value 2131 - driver 75 - fuel 60 = 1995kg?
2. if I'm stopped, how to prove that i'm entitled to drive at 'dual purpose' vehicle limits?

Not holding my breath to be honest
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby yasser » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:07 pm

I always assumed that vitos and transporters with windows could do car speeds simply based on the fact that they were classed differently because of the glass at the rear. Is this the case or is it just a myth and are all these drivers going 60mph when they should be doing 50mph. In your reply from DVLA (?) are they saying that no dual purpose class exists? then if thats the case we need to look at a V5 for transporter or vito and see what its registered as.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Andi Mack » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:27 pm

yasser wrote:then if thats the case we need to look at a V5 for transporter or vito and see what its registered as.

I suspect they will still be N1 class on the V5.

My Double Cab Pickup which is considered a dual purpose vehicle is N1 on the V5.
Andi Mack

Postby richbee » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:54 pm

I'm wondering if it's just a bit more vague - 'dual purpose' clearly exists, but not as a taxation class or body type. Might be a case of having to appeal any speeding tickets on the basis of being 'dual purpose' & then provide evidence

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Andi Mack » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:15 pm

There are some factory standard dual purpose vehicles which technically don't fit the parameters of "Dual Purpose" as they weigh more than allowed amount.

I read something from a dvla spokes person, stating that they weren't aware that certain factory standard "Dual Purpose" vehicles were now over the weight allowance. However they have no intention of revising the (30 year old) rules / regulations, unless they are forced to because someone challenges it when / if they fall foul of it.

So it seems to be a massive grey area, that they have no intention of clearing up.
Andi Mack

Postby yasser » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:40 am

310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby paul2012 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 am

richbee wrote:I've just emailed this to the DVLA - see if we get anywhere

"I believe that my vehicle could be eligible for reclassification as a 'dual purpose' vehicle. I use it as my personal car, transporting mountain bikes for recreational purposes and sometimes sleeping in. It is not a work vehicle at all.

It has 2 rows of seats, seating 6 in total, a fixed roof, side windows and rear door windows.
The only part I am not sure about is the unladen weight - which needs to be less than 2040kg.
My v5c shows a 'mass in service' of 2131kg - this includes driver & a 90% full fuel tank.
Subtracting 75kg for the nominal driver weight and 60kg for 90% of the 80 litre fuel tank, I believe would give an unladen weight of 1995kg.

Please can you confirm if my understanding and calculations are correct?
If so, how would I go about registering my vehicle as 'dual purpose'?"

Under EU directive 1230/2012/EU Article 2 paragraph 4

(4) ‘mass in running order’ means

(a) in the case of a motor vehicle:

the mass of the vehicle, with its fuel tank(s) filled to at least 90 % of its or their capacity/ies, including the mass of the driver, of the fuel and liquids, fitted with the standard equipment in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications and, when they are fitted, the mass of the bodywork, the cabin, the coupling and the spare wheel(s) as well as the tools;

Construction of use regs.

unladen weight - the weight of a vehicle or trailer inclusive of the body and all parts (the heavier being taken where alternative bodies or parts are used) which are necessary to or ordinarily used with the vehicle or trailer when working on a road, but exclusive of the weight of water, fuel or accumulators used for the purpose of the supply of power for the propulsion of the vehicle or, as the case may be, of any vehicle by which the trailer is drawn, and of loose tools and loose equipment.

kerbside weight- the weight of a vehicle when it carries

(a) in the case of a motor vehicle,

(i)no person; and

(ii) a full supply of fuel in its tank, an adequate supply of other liquids incidental to its propulsion and no load other than the loose tools and equipment with which it is normally equipped;

Note:- Mass in service & Mass in running order are the same :wink:

Also worth pointing out the obvious. When adding glass to rear doors or tailgate, you are increasing the weight of vehicle :!: :!:
You'll be surprised of the weight of glass on it's own & plus the weight of any optional equipment/features fitted by the manufacturer :wink:

A Transit Custom DCIV is still a VAN albeit a DOUBLE CAB IN VAN as listed under body type on V5

Even if it were possible to get DCIV reclassified as "Dual Purpose Vehicle" Your still have to abide with the lower speed limits due to type approval N1 - Light goods vehicle :!:

speed limits.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dumper » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:13 am

I go to the Southern Ireland 4 times a year for the car rally’s and fishing in my camper which at home it’s speed limit is same as a car but never gave it a thought about the limits in the south till I whent through mobile speed van at 60 mph on a 100kph speed limit I did not get a ticket but was unsure of what the speed limit for vans was after talking to the locals looking up on line and having a chat with a gard from the traffic core I found out that the speed limit on Irish roads is what is on the road markings that applys to all vans cars and most outher vehicles over there.
At home
Hgv s have had the speed limit put up to 50 mph on single roads so it’s time the same was done for vans the limits raised maybe someone who knows how to started a on line petition with the amount of courier companies around now I think there’d want it.but then again we are living in a time wear people are anti speed
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 am

You lot won't be happy until a child is killed horribly :)
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby loot » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:22 am

I actually don't think it is down to speed per se, i believe it is down to idiots and ignorant drivers.

Children shouldn't be playing on the motorway bjt :? Even tho my dad said that a lot to us when we bothered him :shock:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:25 am

Wherever the little buggers are playing they want running over :x
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:02 pm

I'll tell thy what though ..
You stand on the grass verge in a national speed limit
And an evil speeding van goes past you at 60 ish
Youll fookin sh*t yourself and nearly get sucked off

Bloody van drivers :x
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby a11y » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:09 pm

Funk me, this whole issue is as clear as mud :D

paul2012 wrote:A Transit Custom DCIV is still a VAN albeit a DOUBLE CAB IN VAN as listed under body type on V5

Even if it were possible to get DCIV reclassified as "Dual Purpose Vehicle" Your still have to abide with the lower speed limits due to type approval N1 - Light goods vehicle :!:

speed limits.jpg

Good info, but I'm not convinced by that: double-cab pickups - like what Andi Mack mentions above - are ALSO classified as N1, yet they most definitely fall under the dual-purpose vehicle classification.

If both a double-cab pickup (e.g. Nissan Navara) and DCIV Transit are both N1 classification and both meet the criteria for dual-purpose vehicle classification, then I can't see why 'normal' speed limits won't apply to the Transit too.
2017 Transit Custom DCIV 290 L2 130ps | Also a recovering VWT5-aholic...
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom