*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Custom DCIV - dual-purpose vehicle? (speed limits)

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Transit Custom DCIV - dual-purpose vehicle? (speed limit

Postby towncruiser » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi all I’m thinking of buying new custom panel van and converting the rear to accept 3 middle row seats on removable tracking floor to allow wheelchair , with only one window each side middle row , would this be acceptable to register m1 with car speed limits
towncruiser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:00 pm

towncruiser wrote:Hi all I’m thinking of buying new custom panel van and converting the rear to accept 3 middle row seats on removable tracking floor to allow wheelchair , with only one window each side middle row , would this be acceptable to register m1 with car speed limits

No.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby hughesyn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:24 pm

towncruiser wrote:Hi all I’m thinking of buying new custom panel van and converting the rear to accept 3 middle row seats on removable tracking floor to allow wheelchair , with only one window each side middle row , would this be acceptable to register m1 with car speed limits

Just the second row windows isn't enough.
If you put the rear windows in too, it becomes an M1 car.
Even if you didn't change the registration, the car speed limits would apply, because it's a passenger vehicle, not a goods vehicle. It can be a pain if you get a speeding ticket as if it were a goods vehicle. You might have to send photos to get it cancelled.
2023 Mk8 DCIV 170 auto L3H2
hughesyn
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby a11y » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:19 pm

hughesyn wrote:

Even if you didn't change the registration, the car speed limits would apply, because it's a passenger vehicle, not a goods vehicle. It can be a pain if you get a speeding ticket as if it were a goods vehicle. You might have to send photos to get it cancelled.

^^^ what hughesyn says +1

Still not gotten around to getting my rear window fitted...
2017 Transit Custom DCIV 290 L2 130ps | Also a recovering VWT5-aholic...
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:47 pm

a11y wrote:
hughesyn wrote:

^^^ what hughesyn says +1

Still not gotten around to getting my rear window fitted...

What's keeping you? :lol:

I'm waiting for you to get your's done and see how it goes before I do mine!
At the moment I'm mostly doing car limits unless there's average cameras, then I'm slowing down - working so far.......
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby a11y » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:48 pm

richbee wrote:What's keeping you? :lol:

I'm waiting for you to get your's done and see how it goes before I do mine!
At the moment I'm mostly doing car limits unless there's average cameras, then I'm slowing down - working so far.......

Waiting to see if you’d do it first :lol:

Life got in the way. Been enjoying the van as is but increasingly frustrated as my main route north is average speed camera’d dual and single carriageway. Speed limiter on the van is brilliant, stick it to 55 on the single and 65 on the dual allowing for the error. But still frustrating being restricted relative to other traffic.

Planning to change insurer end of next month to one more OK with changes like a rear window, in anticipation of doing this in the next 12 months (no promises :D ).
2017 Transit Custom DCIV 290 L2 130ps | Also a recovering VWT5-aholic...
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:44 pm

a11y wrote:r. But still frustrating being restricted relative to other traffic.
:D ).

Fueled by a switch from small hgvs to vans due to taxation classes and internet shopping vans are now the biggest road user
In the world
Ever
But don't worry I have written a strongly worded letter to Thatcher
Demanding cars have their speed limits reduced in line with vans
Ttfn
Allcock slazenger
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous

Return to Transit Custom