*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Drilling positions for adding rear seats in transit custom

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Drilling positions for adding rear seats in transit custom

Postby maxwellplumbing » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:45 pm

I want to add tourneo triple (2 and 1) folding removable seats to my swb transit custom panel van. I know plenty of people have done it and I have researched quite a lot in raising the floor 35mm, spreader plates size and thickness, bolts required, fuel tank requires dropping before dripping, insurance etc etc.

I have downloaded the BEMM body and equipment manual from ford and have found page 196 where is gives you the drill hole lay out for what I think is my van?

2014 SWB Transit Custom 170

Am I right in thinking from the picture I have uploaded from where the red arrow points to is the existing bulk head in my van?

If I measure from this and mark all my drill holes up in theory the tourneo triple seats should align up and be in the correct place that ford suggest?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxwellplumbing

Re: Drilling positions for adding rear seats in transit cust

Postby se7en » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:01 pm

The position you have marked in red is where the front driver/passenger front floor step down and meet the rear cargo floor,I took all my measurements from there, also, that diagram is a Left hand drive vehicle, needs to be reversed for a Right hand drive. Also, I suggest , if you can, lay it all out on a sheet of ply or hard board first to check that all the measurements are correct, I seem to recall that when I did mine , the Ford BEMM got some of them wrong..!! which would then mean the floor plates wouldn't line up with the seat legs ( I know some of you will think I got it wrong, but I did check with a friend who worked at Ford research and engineering who confirmed it) Last thing, when you have marked the floor, drill all holes 3mm first,the reason being, if there are any captive fixings already in the chassis, these will be plane bore of around 10mm ready to accept a M12 tap or M12 self tapping bolt, if you steam straight in and drill 12-12.5mm you cant tap it to suit..!!
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby maxwellplumbing » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:43 pm

1. If I do hit a captive fixing in the chassis, will I need a tool to create a thread?

2. Does my reversed diagram for right hand drive look correct from memory? obviously I would check against the seats when I purchase them

Thanks for the advice mate
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxwellplumbing

Postby yasser » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:55 pm

The pattern is good but i didnt check the measurements. when you get your seats and before you start drilling get a piece of osb or ply that will be big enough for your template. mark out just the holes for the seats bases and then attach the seat bases to this. If you have anything wrong in your measurement then it will show up here by either not allowing you to fit the seats or the seats wont click in and out and fold up and down as they should. If everything is ok you can use this to be a rough template to where the holes should be in relation to each other on the van floor. If you havent got captive nuts then you are going to have to put a plate underneath to strengthen. this template will enable you to move it slightly forward or back depending on what crossmembers are in the way underneath that best suits.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby se7en » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 pm

If you use the correct M12 bolts supplied by Ford for fixing, these are self tapping , if you buy M12 from a bolt supplier , these will need tapped holes, the position in the floor that is most likely to have captive nuts,if your van is a L1, is inside the box section at the front of the rear leaf spring, get under the van an have a good look in this area, there are a couple of punched holes in the box section that you should be able to look in to, but , as I have said, drill ALL holes with a small pilot hole first.
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Endorphinix » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi there, I am literally about to do the same job in a week or so. I discovered these on eBay. I don't think there is any need to raise floor a full 35mm, the lips of the metal fittings are not load bearing as they will be bolted directly to the bottom of the van floor anyway. Save 9mm and a bit of weight by using these or similar.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2389934854
Endorphinix
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby barbelman92 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:37 am

@maxwellplumbing how dd the holes line up for you? i have marked out as per your drawing and fords oem drawing and i'm still hitting snags can you let me know how you got on and what problems you encountered along the way id dropping fuel tank and getting around structural supports
barbelman92

Postby henners » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:56 pm

barbelman92 wrote:@maxwellplumbing how dd the holes line up for you? i have marked out as per your drawing and fords oem drawing and i'm still hitting snags can you let me know how you got on and what problems you encountered along the way id dropping fuel tank and getting around structural supports
Hi, how did you get on? Were there any pre-drilled!? I'm contemplating swapping the fixed 3 seat bench for the folding type.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
henners

Postby Milky1980 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:55 pm

Help. Hi all having problems fitting oem ford tourneo seats with stricker plates. Found two captive nuts on either side but nothing else lines up.rear holes are over top of leaf spring and second holes from front of bracket end up in a cross member that isn’t accessible.used ford floor plan drawings.
Milky1980

Postby gazzagee » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:07 am

Just another note to this thread, we are just doing this for a customer 18 plate LWB, lining up the correct mounting points with the brackets its clear to see there are no factory fixing points on the vehicle, using a set of spreader plates underneath will not be good enough to mount the brackets to as there is no chassis connection, I assume there is a correct plate set that Ford can supply, has anyone come across this if so do you have part numbers?

We fit a lot of these type seats, however mainly VW and this is the first Custom we have done, so any help in getting the correct fitting brackets for chassis fitment would be very helpful :D
gazzagee

Postby Hotfoot27 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Having a similar issue swapping the fixed bench seat for the 2 + 1 Tourneo seating LWB DCIV, before I'd seen the below thread ( with the BEMM details ) I had made own measurements to make said seats fit in , ie equal gaps from side doors to edge of seats , armrest O/S with enough clearance & the same for the single seat with the recline handle to the inside . However on the single seat the holes for the runner line up with the spot weld line for the chassis box section underneath , this is on the inside chassis rail & as yet to drop the tank to get a better look on location , with the Ribs on the floor pan it wont sit within these so am left having to raise the rail anyway to make fit .
Will try the measurements provided & see how we go from there in comparison..
Hotfoot27

Postby Jc2985 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:49 am

Did anybody manage to achieve this? I have a 63 plate swb panel van and I've just got the 3 single seats from the newer tourneo. I've just tried to line them up, I have the nut for the 3rd bolt on each end rail but the 4th hole is under the rear spring mount with no access.
Jc2985

Postby Mixer » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:18 pm

Hi. First time poster and new to Transit ownership (long fulfilled dream - 67 plate LWB Custom) . I'm reading a lot of good stuff here but has anyone successfully fitted rear seats to their Custom panel van yet? I have found on ebay a set of unused folding 3 separate seats supplied with brackets taken from a vehicle converted to take a disabled passenger. They look ideal as they will turn around and each seat can be removed separately. BUT...if i can't fit them safely i don't want to risk my children's faces. Is there a solution and what are the insurance implications people mention?

Any help very gratefully received!
Mixer

Postby Chip85 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:11 am

I have just completed fitting the 3rd row seats from a tourneo, used the drawings from ford measured it all out marked where they said they should be and nothing lined up with the help of a friends garage we moved the seats 4.5 inches back took a bit of messing about. I used 5mm plate underneath. The 2 rear ones that fall by the rear leaf spring mounting we cut the floor out and made a plate welded the nuts underneath to make captive nuts and then welded that to floor.
Chip85

Return to Transit Custom