*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Will this key fob work????

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Will this key fob work????

Postby Rosko9 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi folks....been a while since I've posted anything but need some of your worldly wise advice....
Long story short, recently bought a 64 custom that didn't come with a spare key.
Last owner had lost spare but gave me a genuine Ford remote fob he says he bought but never got round to getting cut and coded.
Went to local dealer this morning to buy blade and get it cut with idea that first chance I got I would book VAN in and get it coded.
Dealer told me the fob was for a tourneo connect going by part number on box and might not be able to be coded to the custom....no one in the place could say for sure but because it was different part numbers for fob and blade they thought it wouldn't....he did say it was a genuine Ford part I had still boxed but only way to be sure was to book in for a coding that was going to cost best part of £100 whether it worked or not.
So....has anyone experienced this before or does anyone know for certain it can be coded before I throw money at it when I can put it towards getting another fob. Couple of the mechanics thought it might have different transponder and wouldn't work....

Any help much appreciated.....cheers
Rosko9
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Will this key fob work????

Postby Rosko9 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:17 pm

Spoke to mobile auto locksmith today and he says fob won't fully work on VAN.
Says he could cut blade no probs and code it to start van but it can't be coded to remotely operate central locking.
He checked fob I had and says it will work with focus and Mondeo as well as connect, the custom fob and transit mk8 are the same though.

Outcome is, he's going to supply fob, cut blade and code it for £150....dealers quoted £250.... so no brainer.
Rosko9
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Will this key fob work????

Postby BHM » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 am

Rosko9 wrote:Spoke to mobile auto locksmith today and he says fob won't fully work on VAN.
Says he could cut blade no probs and code it to start van but it can't be coded to remotely operate central locking.
He checked fob I had and says it will work with focus and Mondeo as well as connect, the custom fob and transit mk8 are the same though.

Outcome is, he's going to supply fob, cut blade and code it for £150....dealers quoted £250.... so no brainer.

Grt news Rosko9,
could you please ask your guy this question regarding the lock barrel security of the Ford Transit custom bonnet lock. In essence does it have the same lock pin coding as the ignition lock, or does it only use some of the pins as opposed to the ‘full set’.

Thx
BHM
BHM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom