*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

What is a normal Air mass value? P00BD error

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

What is a normal Air mass value? P00BD error

Postby belfbiker » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi, I have a 2014 custom 100 ps and last week I got the engine malfunction info and then the EML. As this had never happed before I called breakdown and it was the error P00BD: Mass or Volume Air Flow "A" Circuit Range/Performance - Air Flow Too High.
The AMF sensor was then replaced, which lasted about an hour before the error returning. Although there is the chance that this new one is faulty as well, it seems more likely that something else is causing it.
I always prefer to work on my own vehicle so bought a scan tool to try and see what is going on. From the live data the air mass seems to follow the trend of what I would expect, increases with revs, higher manifold pressure and when the erg is commanded open. Both the old and new sensors read about the same but I can't find anywhere that says what a 'normal' air mass rate is? Without knowing what's normal it's hard to work through the option of what could be wrong.
At idle I'm getting around 7.5g/s with the erg commanded at about 50% and 17.5g/s with the erg commanded off (once the malfunction warning has appeared).
Sorry if this info is already listed somewhere but I really couldn't find it. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers
belfbiker

Re: What is a normal Air mass value? P00BD error

Postby Nederbelg » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:58 pm

So it seems that the airflow is indeed to high? Is the Manifold Pressure out of spec?

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby belfbiker » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks, what is a normal manifold pressure? I tried to attach a log file but it says it's not allowed. It is 101kpa at idle and around 200kpa at 2000 rpm. Is there anywhere that I can find information about what these sorts of values should be? Cheers
belfbiker

Postby Frag » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:14 pm

Check that the intercooler to inlet manifold boost hose,on drivers side end of cooler,hasn't rubbed through on alternator mounting bolt,there'll likely be oil in the area if it's chafed through.
If this is ok,have a look at all inlet / charge air temp readings,
The sensor in intercooler (pass side) can be faulty and throw maf codes.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby belfbiker » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:08 am

Thanks Frag, The protective outer of the intercooler outlet hose has been rubbed but the hose itself looks fine. I only seem to have the option of looking at one inlet temperature so I assume that is the one in the airbox? I may change that sensor in the intercooler anyway as a precaution. From what I can see there is no obvious holes or loose connections between the turbo and the inlet manifold.
The one thing that dosen't look right to me is the 'Absolute Throttle Position' only seems to vairy between 93.7% and 94.1% on live data. Could this cause the AMF error code? Also im a bit confused as to why a error code isn't appearing for the TPS. I wouldn't have thought the van would run, even in limp mode if the throttle was fully open all the time? Or could this be some sort of competition by the ECU for there being too high an air flow?
Before the AMF error occurred I did notice that it sometimes stumbled a bit picking up from no accelerator, I have since read that this can be a symptom of the TPS failing.
belfbiker

Postby Frag » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:52 am

Ignore all that TPS stuff,it won't be that.
Depending what you use to read live data you may not be able to check charge air temp (sensor in intercooler)
Inlet air temp is the one combined with mass air flow in airbox,they don't really go wrong.

Ids shows both temps,and when inlet air shows at ambient temp,say 18/19 degrees stood engines off,
And charge air shows anything between -40 and + 50,it's fairly obvious it's faulty.
It doesn't log an temp fault but a maf fault due to the flow being out of range for the temp readings it's 'seeing'
Frag
Ford Technician

Return to Transit Custom