*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine pinking?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Engine pinking?

Postby Kennyb » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi having just had my camper remapped again after having it de-tuned for warranty work done on the turbo (replaced) I’ve noticed on the first turn of the key ,first start ,the engine seems to rattle like a petrol engine pinking once warmed up seems fine any ideas , I’m thinking of getting the remap taken off ,thanks
Kennyb
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Engine pinking?

Postby S60r » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:58 am

Is the oil level all good? I imagine it would be as it would have been replaced when the turbo went in.

Mine does the noise you describe on cold starts.

Taking the remap off was pretty pointless really, as they wouldn’t be able to tell through the OBD port. Your ECU though has been opened to remap and demap and it’s security cage disturbed. So physically it will be apparent to anyone who looks.

Good news that they didn’t spot it obviously.

Edit... out of interest how many miles did your turbo last?
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby TallPaul » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:26 am

Have you checked the rubber seal around the steering column is fitted properly near the pedals? If that gets dislodged it can transmit a lot of noise into the cabin.
Edit to say:
The ECU hackers have been working overtime and Euro 5’s can now be remapped via the OBD without removing the ECU! I’m not sure about Euro 6 but would assume they’re the same.
TallPaul
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:15 am

Mine pinks all the time
All good perfect
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby TallPaul » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:35 am

bigjohnthomas wrote:Mine pinks all the time
All good perfect

Mine too, the joys of compression ignition!
TallPaul
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kennyb » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:42 am

S60r wrote:Is the oil level all good? I imagine it would be as it would have been replaced when the turbo went in.

Mine does the noise you describe on cold starts.

Taking the remap off was pretty pointless really, as they wouldn’t be able to tell through the OBD port. Your ECU though has been opened to remap and demap and it’s security cage disturbed. So physically it will be apparent to anyone who looks.

Good news that they didn’t spot it obviously.

Edit... out of interest how many miles did your turbo last?
thanks for for reply’s ref to the ecu it was put back using three of the four original security bolts with a scattering of loose leaves and debris covering the dodgy bolt it worked but having said that ford had upgraded the ecu after the work on the turbo and the previous mapping had been removed by them during the work (apparently) ,the turbo lasted only 23,600 miles
Kennyb
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:24 am

The original bolts can’t be used as they are shear bolts. They literally break apart on any anti clock turning..... but all good they didn’t notice anyway!

That is terrible that the turbo only lasted 23k.... who’s remap or file was it?
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:26 am

TallPaul wrote:Have you checked the rubber seal around the steering column is fitted properly near the pedals? If that gets dislodged it can transmit a lot of noise into the cabin.
Edit to say:
The ECU hackers have been working overtime and Euro 5’s can now be remapped via the OBD without removing the ECU! I’m not sure about Euro 6 but would assume they’re the same.

That’s good news, but very recent news..... so in the OP’s case his would have been removed as his map isn’t very recent.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kennyb » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm

S60r wrote:The original bolts can’t be used as they are shear bolts. They literally break apart on any anti clock turning..... but all good they didn’t notice anyway!

That is terrible that the turbo only lasted 23k.... who’s remap or file was it?

The mapping was done by quantum tuning , the offer three types green ,blue , and red, I went for the midrange one giving better torque for pulling and a slight increase in economy bhp went from 125 to 160 and the fuel economy went from average mpg 36 up to averaging around the 39/41 you can tell the difference in the pulling power
Kennyb
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom