*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2013 Custom rear view camera failure/blue screen

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

2013 Custom rear view camera failure/blue screen

Postby Eurotransit » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:02 pm

Yesterday my 2013 Transit Custom Limited DCIV that has the rear view camera in the rear view mirror suddenly went blue...

That is I parked the car in reverse having normal operation of the camera and mirror system. Thirty minutes later I leave again and after starting the car and putting it in reverse, a split second (almost undetectable) of image and the screen turns blue. A few seconds later it just shuts down and goes black. The front and rear bumper sensors fortunately stayed active, but with the stupidly small rear view window in the DCIV the camera gets depended on a lot!

I've searched and found http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=178175&p=1518267&hilit=rear+view+camera+blue+screen#p1518267 but this offers no resolution, only a suspicion. I have trouble seeing this suspicion as a cause since the problem presented itself without the doors ever being disturbed.

Anyone got a solution or similar experience?
Eurotransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2013 Custom rear view camera failure/blue screen

Postby Eurotransit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:36 am

Just for documentation purposes so it may also help others in the future...

As much as I doubted the suggestion of it being wiring damaged from opening and closing the rear doors, it does seem to be a wiring or connection issue. Opening the door and wiggling the wiring between car body and door restored functionality of the camera. As nice as that is, this means I will have to, at the very least, inspect the connections and wiring in the door and door to body area. I wouldn't want anything to develop into something worse.
Eurotransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby touchav » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:18 pm

Had similar problems my Custom 2013 van today, factory fitted reversing camera CJ5T-19G490-AC blue screen of death.

Disconnect the loom at the back door, remove the 4 nuts holding the camera and number plate light trim.
Disconnect the camera loom from the camera and spray some Servisol super 10 contact cleaner on all 4 Molex connectors (camera loom and door loom).
Give the plugs and sockets a good dousing then plug and un plug the connectors a few time to remove any oxidation on the contacts, shake off any excess cleaning fluid and tests.

I also wrapped the camera molex connectors in self amalgamating tape to make it water tight, worked for me and certainly a cheep fix that could possibly also fix the same issue on other vehicles with a camera blue screen issues.
touchav

Postby Rabfinn » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:46 am

I had the black screen on my reversing camera and found a way to fix it, turn ignition on press the power button and seek on the radio hold for 10 secs turn ignition off n on sorted mine. Hope it helps others
Mk8 Transit Trend 2.2 L3 H2
Rabfinn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jezclayton » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:24 pm

Mine sometimes does this on cold mornings so probably condensation getting in. Will remake the connector and waterproof it when I feel inclined.
Current - Custom 290 L1H1 DCIV Limited 2.0 EU6 170ps 09/17
Previous - MK7 SWB 140 T280S Limited 2.2 FWD. 03/12 (Stolen)
Previous - MK7 MWB 130 T300 GLX 2.2 FWD. 04/07 (Sold)
Jezclayton
GLX Posse

Postby Rabfinn » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:10 am

Hiya, I have a mk8 transit with the camera on the right rear door, ive had the wiring checked and its all good so its down to a camera thats on its way out as it works sometimes but other times its just a black screen. Im now on the look out for a new camera what other (if any) models use the same camera as there doesn't seem to be any on ebay under mk8 transit reversing camera. I tried the holding the radio power and seek for 10 secs and it came back on now I dont know if that was a fluke or not as I said it works sometimes. Any help would be much appreciated
Mk8 Transit Trend 2.2 L3 H2
Rabfinn
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom