*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Steering column seizing

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Steering column seizing

Postby BHM » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:02 am

Hi,
had an issue for a while with the steering occasionally catching and creaking. Took it into dealers whilst in warrantee and the clock
spring unit behind the wheel was changed....strangely immediately after there was another really big creak then nothing till Tuesday night.

Anyway long story short, I stripped down components including the steering lock and non-removable top bearing, which then required me to
replace the column: (was 6 months out of warrantee anyway).

20171129_170848.jpg

anyway found the problem, there is a bottom open race bearing just above the UJ's, I reckon that a wet footwell from snow or rain on boots
accelerates the bearing corrosion, leading to tight operation, I was also experiencing a bit of wandering like Loot :wink: .

Still this bearing can be lubricated in-situe with spray grease and straw, here's a pic of said bearing:

20171129_170908.jpg

Make it part of your maintenance prog and save £480 at DIY rates.

BHM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BHM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Steering column seizing

Postby moley551 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:31 pm

I've had a creaking sound that comes and goes, it sounds like the plastic cowel rubbing, and also since a ball joint was replaced for a service/mot it's got a vague feeling to the steering....thanks for the heads up you may have saved me some time and beer chits.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Steering column seizing

Postby BHM » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:29 am

moley551 wrote:I've had a creaking sound that comes and goes, it sounds like the plastic cowel rubbing, and also since a ball joint was replaced for a service/mot it's got a vague feeling to the steering....thanks for the heads up you may have saved me some time and beer chits.

Yup I also thought it was the cowl rubbing, I was convinced....hence my stripping from top down. Try a damp white cloth on the floor just under the top UJ. It may show the rust dust on the mat, its very fine :)

BHM
BHM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom