*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

confused by Service intervals

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

confused by Service intervals

Postby nickso » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi folks,

New to the forum but had my Custom for 20 months and amazingly nothing major has gone other than the heated windscreen being replaced after a meteor hit it, and only a few minor niggles with it day to day. Very pleased with it so far.

This week the display says oil service required. Now this is a lease van and although I do look after it as if its my own and keep it immaculate I will never have the option to own it.

I'm a bit confused by the service intervals. I'm pretty sure my handbook says 25k miles for its first service which as a car enthusiast that does all his own work on his cars I know is outrageous. However, its not my van technically so I thought meh...I'll leave it.

If I go on Etis it comes up with some surprise interim service at 15k miles that has me worried as its now done 17k miles. Then it says major service I think at 30k miles.

Do I just need the oil/filter changed or is there more to it? I'm tempted to put it into the local Transit centre as it needs the security update but unfortunately the local Transit centre is run by Arnold Shark and I detest using those clowns for anything.

The van does 5-20 mins driving then stopped for an hour or so and repeat for 8-10 times a day 5 days a week so I can believe the oil needs changed for all the cold starts and short runs.

Also is there any way to disable the seatbelt nanny? I do a lot of driving round the corner from a customers house to stop and do paperwork and the bing bing bing drives me insane.

Cheers

Nick.
nickso

Re: confused by Service intervals

Postby Altransit » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:57 pm

nickso wrote: after a meteor hit it

:shock: Was there a van left to fit the screen to :?: :P

nickso wrote:Also is there any way to disable the seatbelt nanny? I do a lot of driving round the corner from a customers house to stop and do paperwork and the bing bing bing drives me insane.

The quick way is to fit a short stalk extension, then it thinks the belt buckle is plugged in 8) :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:53 pm

The optional interim CHECK, is not to be confused with the mandatory SERVICES.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby moley551 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:32 pm

You can unplug the seat belt warning under the seat takes 5mins.....but it's not big or clever, tut tut, shame on you for by -passing the superdooper safety system. Did mine 4 years ago and I'm still mostly alive...
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby moley551 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:59 pm

"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Doormedic » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:17 pm

Mine goes in every 15000 miles, alternate a service with their interim one
Doormedic
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby nickso » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks folks.

Think I will put it in to the Stealer and get the upgrade done as well then. The oil will be orrible so no harm in getting it done.

Thanks for seat belt nanny suggestions, will look into that.
nickso

Postby S60r » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:43 am

Mine has come up with oil change required too....just ticked over 15k.....Right pain in the arse really as I hate taking it to the dealer and having to take time off to do it. I changed my own oil and filter at 9k as it was a year old and I do local journeys and the van is my own, no way was I running it up over 20k on the original oil.

Only thing is, the van didn’t know I did that and is now asking for new oil. I will get it done again anyway, as it has become pretty clattery of late. Good to know that it wouldn’t run to 30k on the same oil.... that would be madness.

When it popped up I thought it may have an oil condition sensor like the Euro 6’s have but I think it’s just mileage based. There is plenty of diesel in the oil after only 6k miles. Bloody DPF. Bloody Ford.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:07 am

S60r wrote:. Good to know that it wouldn’t run to 30k on the same oil.... that would be madness.

or is it madness to change it before 30k and throw good oil away :?:
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby S60r » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:25 am

No
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Pak_plastering » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:03 am

I'm not sure about other countries, but here in australia "off the shelf" oil only has a lifespan of around 10,000k's or 12months before losing its properties, i discussed this with a mechanic while talking about the 15,000k intervals for the mrs peugot 308 hdi, he said they would only use genuine peugot oil as its actually rated to last the 15,000k span.
So unless its different over there than here, I wouldn't be stretching it out past 10,000klm with off the shelf oil, and anyways, oil and a filter is cheap really, compared to engine failure!!
I would like to know however, is there any way to turn the light off with out an obd reader??
Cheers, krem
Pak_plastering
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:04 am

S60r wrote:No

Unless you’re keeping the van for 3 years or less?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby FJ111200 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:26 am

Pak_plastering wrote:I would like to know however, is there any way to turn the light off with out an obd reader??
Cheers, krem

Have you tried the ignition on and feet on the brake and accelerator pedals trick? Takes up to 2 minutes before the light goes out. Don't fire the engine though while doing it :shock:
:idea: :lol: :roll:
FJ111200
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:16 pm

Yeah but without getting the oil tested for :? stuff
You don't know if good or not good
My old boss used to wipe his fingers on the oil on the dip stick
Rub it between his fingers
Sniff it then lick it and by that he could tell if it needed changing

The Fooking Fannie
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby roughtech » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:17 pm

Altransit wrote:
nickso wrote: after a meteor hit it

:shock: Was there a van left to fit the screen to :?:

nickso wrote:Also is there any way to disable the seatbelt nanny? I do a lot of driving round the corner from a customers house to stop and do paperwork and the bing bing bing drives me insane.

The quick way is to fit a short stalk extension, then it thinks the belt buckle is plugged in 8) :mrgreen:
Just plug the passengers buckle into the drivers

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk
roughtech
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom