*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit custom 155ps regenerating

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Transit custom 155ps regenerating

Postby Boomhauer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 am

Hello,

I know there are a few topics about the regeneration of the custom but things are getting horrible with mine.

I have a euro5/155hp version and I drive daily around 80km in 2 trips. I accelerate normal to "fast" (if you can call this van fast...) and make sure I'm above 2000rpm.
I've bought the van in May 2016 (demo from dealer) and I have 50.000km on it now. You can't say I'm not driving any distances....
However, the dpf regenerates itself almost on a daily basis causing the engine to run higher in idle, use more fuel, judders when starting to drive, makes a dull noise,... The usual regeneration things. It's not my first diesel with a dpf but it's the first causing me headaches and actually doubting me to keep this van.
The dealer says I'm not driving it fast enough or I'm driving short distances but a 40km single trip should be enough in my perspective. Even on long trips (+1200km) the van regenerated multiple times... I don't know what to do with this van anymore. I really like it how it handles and all the comfort from it but this dpf thing is getting ridiculous...

If anyone have suggestions or solutions, please let me know.

Paul.
Boomhauer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Transit custom 155ps regenerating

Postby S60r » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:21 am

As you say, loads of threads on this, have a search and read through and see which way you want to go.

There are treatments you can use to clean a DPF, it does sound like it may be blocked... Ford will force clean it if it’s under warranty and it’s causing problems (perhaps) or you could remove it and map it out but that is very controversial as it presents legal/mot issues.

Then there’s the “snake oil” thread. Many (me included) add 2t oil to the fuel about 350ml to a full tank seems to work. Smooths things out and stops the need for regen as it burns cleaner but you’ll need to be unblocked first if you are indeed blocked.

Good luck with it.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby khould » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:41 am

Well I have a 15 plate 21000 mile van which gets driven very lightly, rarely goes above 2000 revs and I drive about 60 tp 65 mphat the fastest. Some short journeys of less than 20 miles during the week. Mine regens once every few weeks and only if im stop start in traffic do I notice. Every couple of weeks Ill drive 15 or so miles motorway driving in 4th doing 60 with revs up above 2000rpm as I have done in my previous couple of cars and (touch wood) have never had a problem.
I have been driving my van like it since I got it 14 months ago and for 12000 miles, I think your dealer is fobbing you off.
I used to drive a new Scania for a living and got reported by the onboard telimatics if the revs went over 1500rpm and in 300000kms never had a problem with dpf of regen either.
If your van is under warranty get them to get is sorted

khould
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby moley551 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:25 am

I bet £1 your oil level is too high!!! possibly also contaminated with diesel.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby sparker000 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:00 am

I second Castrol fully synthetic 2-stroke oil in every tank. Hasn't stopped regen completely for my 155 but has reduced it happening by a lot. Drives better too. The daft thing is that they put the DPF in to help with keeping the air cleaner but you are told by your dealer to driver faster and harder or maybe go for a long drive down a duel carriage way at high revs to clear it, a journey you didn't need to do. When it needs to clean itself it wastes more fuel. Less soot but more of the other harm full gasses. Oh and the van keeps telling you when to change gear, so you are in 4th at 30mph with the engine nearly stalling to save fuel but that is blocking up the filter. Go slower,lower revs - Go faster, higher revs! Give me strength.
sparker000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boomhauer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 am

The van was serviced at 27000km (oil+filter) and I check the oil level an regular bases. It's OK so far. The regen goes way back before my last oil change/check up.

I've actually brought the van to the dealer in september for a check up on the dpf as it was giving me a pain in the a**... They said it was not blocked, or at least the diagnostic computer said so. They found no DTC codes. Annoying, I've worked in the automotive for over a decade but this thing is horrible to drive sometimes.

About the 2 stroke oil, I know the theory but in a modern diesel engine I'm not to keen to apply it.
Boomhauer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sparker000 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:08 pm

About the 2 stroke oil, I know the theory but in a modern diesel engine I'm not to keen to apply it.[/quote]

I felt the same and it took me a long time to try it. What made me give it ago was a member who ran very high milage Custom Tourneo's for his business. He compared an engine that had been run with oil added and one with out. Engine with oil added had original EGR valve which was clean, the whole system was cleaner, and DPF was also original with out problems. The engine with out oil added had had EGR replace more than once and was gummed up inside the manifold etc. I think they where 150k to 200k vans. This swung it for me, no down side only positives. I have no regrets adding the oil and not only am I confident that it is keeping the engine cleaner inside it also cleared up the stutter/hick up the engine had at lower engine rpm. I have on one occasion not added oil because I was in a hurry and in that one tank the engine had the stutter back.

So, although there are sceptics and people saying it can't possibly work, for me it most definitely does. See if you can find the thread and see what you think.
sparker000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boomhauer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:16 pm

How much oil do you add on a full tank? I have belray full synthetic at home from my Enduro bike.

But besides if it works or not, it shouldn't be that you have to add 2 stroke oil to a modern car,van, bus,... Anything besides an actual 2 stroke.
Boomhauer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sparker000 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm

How much oil do you add on a full tank? I have belray full synthetic at home from my Enduro bike.

As s60r has said - "add 2t oil to the fuel about 350ml to a full tank seems to work".

But besides if it works or not, it shouldn't be that you have to add 2 stroke oil to a modern car,van, bus,... Anything besides an actual 2 stroke

Everyone will agree with you there. The pressure on car manufactures to reduce emissions has added so many problems to modern engines.
sparker000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Camper steve » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:10 pm

About the 2 stroke oil, I know the theory but in a modern diesel engine I'm not to keen to apply it.[/quote]

I run mine with shell advanced diesel every third tank and i haven't noticed any problems, dont know whats different about advanced, and probably similar additive to snake oil but i notice it runs smoother on it
and i get a slightly higher mpg on it but not by much.
Camper steve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:19 pm

sparker000 wrote:
So, although there are sceptics and people saying it can't possibly work, for me it most definitely does. See if you can find the thread and see what you think.

I would be one of those who says that it won’t work. But I’d clarify my comment by saying that it won’t be a benefit on a low mileage (under 50k), well looked after van. The same goes for premium diesels.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Boomhauer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:11 pm

I drive it well when it's cold, even when it's warm.
It had its maintenance at 27.000km and now it will get around 52.000km.
I never pull heavy loads or overload the van.
I always fuel up at Shell petrol stations.
I wouldn't know what to do extra for it, it's a van, not a high-end 800hp supercar...
Boomhauer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby moley551 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:59 pm

I went through the same sh*t from new to 30k miles, had the van serviced and topped up to the max line and the regens were 50miles apart or less I reduced the oil level to 3/4 mark added 2t for another 20k miles every tankfull and the regens dropped to once or twice per full tank, now @ 80k+ miles I keep the oil to 3/4 mark add 2t oil sometimes, the van now performs the best it ever has.
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:53 am

The difference in clatter on my custom is only small but it definitely regens less with 2t added....

However we had a Citroen Picasso c4 (a new 16 plate Euro 6 with the ad blue rubbish) and thought I’d add some 2t to the fuel as it was always bloody rough for a modern diesel.... the difference it made to that car was literally staggering. It went totally silent and drove smoother than a smooth things smoother parts..........Completely convinced me of the effects of adding 2t.

Yes a shite comparison to a Ford custom but it certainly works in both the “modern” diesels I have tried it in.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby leepts » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi all....I have the same problem with my custom, it does a regen most days and I don’t do a great deal of mileage! It’s just been into ford as every time it does a regen the heated mirrors and the windscreen heat up, They’ve said that it’s supposed to do that. Have any of you guys had the same problem when regening? Also the 2stroke oil, how much do you add to a full tank off fuel? Cheers Lee.
leepts

Next

Return to Transit Custom