*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Replacing Aerial Base Custom 2016

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Replacing Aerial Base Custom 2016

Postby gilo1978 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi,
Hope someone can help with this. I have managed to snap the aerial base off my 2016 custom, leaving the plastic plate that is fixed to the roof of the van. I can see a hex bolt which i assume attaches the plate to the van and also acts as the antenna connection for the radio. However I have bought a replacement base (see image) but its a complete unit so how do I access the bolt inside the new base to fix it to the van.
I might be missing something very simple so hope you guys can help.
Thanks in advance.
G
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gilo1978

Re: Replacing Aerial Base Custom 2016

Postby TallPaul » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:55 pm

Drop the roof lining, then you can get onto the nut underneath. You might be able to just drop the corner of the roof lining but they crease easily!
TallPaul
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gilo1978 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:35 pm

TallPaul wrote:Drop the roof lining, then you can get onto the nut underneath. You might be able to just drop the corner of the roof lining but they crease easily!

Is it relatively simple, ie what are the pitfalls and any tips to in order not to damage the lining?
gilo1978

Postby vanvliet » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:15 pm

I have already removed the lining in my SWB high top and I was thinking about removing the aerial as it isn't connected to any cable .I opted for the DAB radio and so they must have just left the FM aerial in place.
I can take some pics if that would help you but it looks like an easy job to remove it . I was thinking of removing it altogether but I cannot be bothered finding a properly fitting bung to plug the hole :)
BTW mine is a Kombi and that part of the roof can be accessed by removing the grey plastic panel to the rear of the driver /pass seats
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby wild camper » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:38 am

TallPaul wrote:Drop the roof lining, then you can get onto the nut underneath. You might be able to just drop the corner of the roof lining but they crease easily!

How do I drop the roof lining, I've looked and there is no apparent way to release the lining, there are no screws, normally I would start with the sun visors but there's no screws visible. Is there a way to release the plastic covers that surround the visor arms. thanks. wild camper a new member
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby wild camper » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:17 pm

A friendly tech. at the Ford dealer showed me how to access the screws on the LHS sun visor, they're covered by a small plastic hinged cover that has to be carefully prised off to give access to the screws underneath, a T20 bit is needed to remove the screws, same for the LHS grab handle. prise off the plastic A pillar cover just enough to release the headlining and lower the headlining just enough to feel for the aerial base. the headlining will lower just enough without creasing, there's a captive nut holding the aerial base, an 8mm socket is needed to release it, it's an awkward position to access the nut but it comes away with the 8mm socket. the part number for the aerial base is 1738453 available from Vospers (www.vospers.com) Ebay for £7.34 inc. postage.I's exactly the same as the original. I also bought a stubby aerial from "JJC race and rally" ON eBAY for £13.74 it's a Ford licensed part R/B5500.69 , it's as good as the original Ford aerial in that it gets DAB and AM/FM but there's the odd area with no reception. hopefully I won't scrape this one off the garage roof
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andythenorth » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:40 am

wild camper wrote:A friendly tech. at the Ford dealer showed me how to access the screws on the LHS sun visor
Just wanted to say thanks for that wild camper. Garage door didn't open properly, took my aerial off. Aerial now replaced.

It's a pain in the arse to do, I creased the headliner a bit, but it won't notice.

This site is tops for Transit stuff :)
andythenorth
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby littledave » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:50 pm

Can anyone explain how to remove the headliner completely. I’ve tried the above but cannot seem to access or feel the nut holding the aerial base on.

Are there any other fixings holding the liner up. From what I can see it’s just the visors, grab handles and the screen behind the centre roof console but it still feels to be held up by something. Don’t want to force it as it will crease so easily.

My aerial base is different to the one listed as it has a male thread for the aerial not a female.
littledave
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom