*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford Transit Custom 12v sockets

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Ford Transit Custom 12v sockets

Postby Joetransit » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi guys, first post here so nice to meet you all.

Just picked up my new 2017 transit custom before Christmas and overall am really pleased with it compared to my old Vito, however I have noticed that even with ignition switches off, the 12v sockets in the cubby hole infront of steering wheel, as well as the additional one in the dash, stay live, so with my sat nav & various chargers plugged in over night, it drains the battery to a point where it struggles to start. Is this normal, and if so, is there any guidance on how to isolate these with ignition off?

Also, the heated seat seems very intermittent, goes warm, stays warm for 30 secs then turns off for 5-15 minutes and repeats. Is this normal too?

Thanks,

Joe.
Joetransit

Re: Ford Transit Custom 12v sockets

Postby hitech-donk » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:38 pm

The seats seem normal, at least compared to mine and I think the charger sockets should turn off after about 30 mins.
hitech-donk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby TallPaul » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:39 pm

Dunno about the seat issue but on my 2013 Custom the 12v sockets keep power for about 30mins after turning off the ignition. I’d assume thats standard, whatever the year.
How many batteries does it have under the drivers seat, if you have 2, the rear most one is the accessories and the front is pretty much only to start and run the engine. I think.
Edit to say: beaten to it by Donk!
TallPaul
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Joetransit » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:08 am

Haven't checked how many batteries but given the spec I'd assume 2. Seems strange it struggles to start if the dual set up is the case. Will investigate further. Thank you both.
Joetransit

Postby S60r » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:23 am

Welcome... it’s as everyone has pointed out above...

There is a customer access point in the knee high fuse box that I hard wired my reverse camera to. The dash cam will go to it as well soon. That is a pure switched live and operates with the ignition. The whole system is timed... I hard wired my sub direct to the battery with in line fuse and it stays powered after shut down for 20 minutes.

As for the batteries, I’m afraid they are the weak point across all Fords I have owned. Both Galaxies we have had over the years and my Father in laws Fusion had to have their batteries replaced inside 2 years. The worst Galaxy didn’t last 8 months! The silver calcium stuff Ford use does not like going flat... once the charge dropped they never recovered no matter how I treated them and had to be replaced.

Slide your drivers seat forward and look behind the flap... I only have 1 battery and having said the above it’s been fine since birth (2 years now).... I always carry a jump pack though!

Enjoy the van.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cowasaki » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Is there any way to reduce the 30 mins to say.... 10 seconds or nothing?
I've rebuilt a Defender, several motorcycles and quite a bit to both a Mk6 & 7 Transit. Now bought a new Custom and just doing a few small bits to it.

Cowasaki's electrical tutorials: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166595
cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom