*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford transit custom sport 155 14 reg

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Ford transit custom sport 155 14 reg

Postby Gasman82 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:48 pm

Hi, hope someone can help me.

Surprise surprise the van has just ran out of warranty, it is a 2014 custom sport 155, I have had few issues of late, firstly being front camera malfunction service required, then you get no hill assist etc, then also I have been getting a very fluctuating temp gauge. ( don’t drive any different)

Had my local stealer look at and they couldn’t find anything wrong they said but charged my battery..

Been ok since I had it back,but today again front camera malfunction service required lights on again and temp gauge all over the place, the temp gauge doesn’t ever go over half.

Any ideas/common known faults, I am handy with spanner’s so will be trying to sort myself if possible.

Regards
Gasman82
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Ford transit custom sport 155 14 reg

Postby S60r » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:28 am

Did the battery charge temporarily solve all the issues?

If it did, I would replace it now.

Don’t use ford batteries... just go to eurocarparts and buy the best one you can afford. The silver calcium Ford batteries are not good and once they start to drop charge there is no going back with them.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Gasman82 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:54 am

Hi,

Yes the battery charge the ford dealer carried out seemed to cure the problem for abit.

Ok will source a battery.

Many thanks
Gasman82
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Gasman82 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm

hi all,

right,

I have got no engine management lights or any fault lights on for that matter.

but my temp gauge is doing my head in, one minute it seems to be working then the next is down on the bottom as though its not working, and the heat from my heater is all over the place as well.

any ideas please folks??

regards
Gasman82
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby TallPaul » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:10 pm

Are you sure its got enough coolant? Does sound like typical symptoms of being low.
TallPaul
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Gasman82 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:30 pm

hi,

yes coolant level has been fine never moves.
Gasman82
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby S60r » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:35 pm

sounds like you need the codes reading or you end up replacing a lot of stuff that may be unnecessary.

As a stand alone fault you would look at thermostat first off... but as you have had other issues it may be a sensor or water in a module.... total guesswork really.

Did you replace the battery? if so its not money wasted as at nearly 4 years old the Ford one will be on its last legs anyways....

i would bite the bullet and take to someone who can read the codes...... hopefully the low voltage has screwed up a sensor or stat but its total guesswork from afar I'm afraid.

Hope its a quick cheap fix.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Gasman82 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:56 pm

hi,

many thanks for your advise,

the annoying thing is i have had it into my local ford dealer who told me no faults stored??

also wasn't to happy when they said that they have charged the battery and charged me £50??

like i say no lights are on at the moment, just annoying when the temp gauge is fluctuating some much.

would it make any difference i have the split charge system fitted with an extra battery??, the system used was the one recommend one here.

regards
Gasman82
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby S60r » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Yes it does make a difference!

Which battery if any did you replace? I would do BOTH.

1 operates the starting the other all electrical systems... once one starts to misbehave the so called “intelligent” charging system goes haywire. They will both have to go at the same time or you may have strange things occurring.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:46 pm

As s60r says change the tstat and take it from there ,it should sort your heat problem and your electrical problems may be battery or alternator related.Had problem with hill hold and auto box on a Mondeo and dealer condemmed the box without even reading codes changed battery and alt 3 years ago and still drives like a good one :) Wonder why they needed to charge the battery if the alt was doing its job :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Gasman82 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 pm

just to confirm the split charge and the second battery is what i fitted not the ford dual battery.

i think the thermostat is a good call because, when i finished my last job tonight i drove above 15 miles so engine would have been plenty warm enough temp gauge again not moved very much but soon as i pulled up at home and let it idol for a few minute's the temp gauge go's to where is should be (half way).

don't really fancy going back to the dealer unless at last resort.
Gasman82
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Gasman82 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:29 pm

Just an update on my recent issues.

Ford have put some latest software updates on to cure engine lights/limp mode issues.
Also complete new thermostat housing etc.
Gasman82
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby M-E-K-65 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:42 pm

Gasman82 wrote:Hi, hope someone can help me.

Surprise surprise the van has just ran out of warranty, it is a 2014 custom sport 155, I have had few issues of late, firstly being front camera malfunction service required, then you get no hill assist etc, then also I have been getting a very fluctuating temp gauge. ( don’t drive any different)

Had my local stealer look at and they couldn’t find anything wrong they said but charged my battery..

Been ok since I had it back,but today again front camera malfunction service required lights on again and temp gauge all over the place, the temp gauge doesn’t ever go over half.

Any ideas/common known faults, I am handy with spanner’s so will be trying to sort myself if possible.

Regards

I have the exact same problem with my Custom 155.
(firstly being front camera malfunction service required, then you get no hill assist etc, then also I have been getting a very fluctuating temp gauge)

It occurs when it is about 2 to minus 2 degrees celsius and damp snow or rain and additional heater has been used before the vehicle starts.
Do you have additional heater on your car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
M-E-K-65

Postby Gasman82 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi,

As regards to your problems from my experience.

First off if your battery is the original one change it.

I have changed mine and so far it’s transformed the van electrical wise.

If your having problems with your temp gauge, is your heater working as it should?
My heater wasn’t working correctly so had to have new thermostat.

But take my advice if it’s your thermostat buy a genuine one and fit it yourself if your able.

The dealer had my van and carried out some software issues which they said was causing issues.

So with what they have done and me fitting a new battery the van is going well again.

If you want to know anything else let me know.
Gasman82
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Custom