*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Planar type heater

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Planar type heater

Postby luckmurph » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi, I have a 2013 custom which i have converted into a camper, i'm looking to install a diesel Planar type heater under the passengers seat! this is were I have my leisure battery , has any one done this before?
Query i have there is a plastic cover on the floor which i have to drill through for exhaust fumes etc, does anyone know if there are any hidden cables etc hidden underneath?
Thanks
Andy
luckmurph

Re: Planar type heater

Postby pip.t » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi andy got the same van and gonna be doing exactly the same job and was thinking Planar mainly cost but also good reviews. I looked at Wellhouse on you tube who fit a similar heater (Webasto I think?) and they have the air in take positioned in the passenger footwell but don't show the exhaust outlet. Interested about the leisure battery fitting under passenger seat though, do you think the heater and battery side by side will be ok with the heat from the Planar heater and have you a single or double front seat? Regards Phil
pip.t
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby luckmurph » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi Phil, yes got a double seat, i have seen the air intake from the footwell just think it will look neater straight out of the floor!!
Cant see any probs with heater being there (they are insulated).....looking to get a separate diesel tank and site it under there too!
Been looking at the Chinese planar copies they are around £160!.....there is a dedicated facebook page to them with rave reviews, some have had them installed for over a year with no issues so for the cost got to be worth a punt!!
luckmurph

Postby mistericeman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Bear in mind these types of heater require a combustion air inlet and a combustion air exhaust both around 25mm to the outside of the vehicle....
The combustion exhaust gets very hot so needs to be well away from anything combustible....

They also need a circulation (cabin air) inlet and outlet around 75mm.... Warm air into the cabin and a way for cabin air to get back to the heater...
My eberspacher (wouldn't entertain the cheap Chinglese ones) is under the passenger seat box on our Jumbo...
Warm air outlet is out of a vent in the rear of the seat box return air just back via the opening in the seat box.

Well worth fitting combustion inlet/exhaust silencers to reduce noise levels.

Eberspacher fitting instructions here to give you an idea...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... q9XBY8fOjJ
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Camper steve » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:16 pm

I have seen one that can be mounted outside under the van (think its Airo?) so you just need a warm air pipe (and maybe some wiring) routed through into the cabin.

had a look around and found this one, more pricey but you dont need it in the cabin and this will also be less noisy

https://www.justkampers.com/eberspacher ... vw-t5.html
Camper steve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mistericeman » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:24 pm

All the Airtronic type can be mounted externally....

https://www.butlertechnik.com/installat ... 0152-p1009

Or fabricate your own....

BUT you will still need a cabin air supply and return into the vehicle OR the unit will be constantly drawing ambient air from outside and struggle to control cabin temperature....
Bit like having your central heating on with all the doors and windows open.
mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom