*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Possible Timing Chain noise at 48k miles ?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Possible Timing Chain noise at 48k miles ?

Postby Siclark » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Our 2015 Transit Tourneo Custom 2.2 has 48,000 miles and has started making a horrendous scraping/rattling noise on cold startup which sounds to me like it's coming from the timing chain area. It doesn't do it every single startup but when it does, if you blip the throttle the noise stops and doesn't return. Never does it from warm, only cold start.

Went to Bristol Street Cheltenham yesterday and showed them a video of the noise on my phone. They said as it's under warranty they wouldn't get approval to do any work until something actually fails !

So if the noise is timing chain related, they're basically saying it has to fail before they're willing to repair it which obviously will cost considerably more.

Has anyone else experienced similar noises on cold startup or experienced timing chain issues ?
Siclark
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Possible Timing Chain noise at 48k miles ?

Postby DrDeAtH » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Replace the alternator. Water gets into the front of them and wrecks the bearings. A common fault.
DrDeAtH
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Siclark » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:31 pm

DrDeAtH wrote:Replace the alternator. Water gets into the front of them and wrecks the bearings. A common fault.

Thanks, I'll look into that.
Siclark
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby moley551 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:41 pm

I've had some aux belt pullies replaced due to noise, but the noise didn't change with bliping the throttle, the clanking on cold wet starts is common with sliping aux belts, mine did it for a while when it was new but Vospers stoped it 3 1/2 years ago possibly with belt dressing?
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:23 am

Mine at 16k has started doing this on & off.... it’s definitely from the alternator and belt area. Noise is horrendous when it’s been raining! It’s a nightmare trying to get anything from Ford sorted on warranty though.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Bulldogboy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:20 am

look up acf 50 aircraft lubricant / corrosion inhibitor, approved for electrical connections and wiring looms , did a post on here before about it, its a great water repellent, my alternator used to do it till I covered it in acf 50, just don't get it on yer belts. I covered my whole engine bay in it including the ecu, which really cleverly is always covered in water. ridiculous how ford have allowed water ingress in the engine bay!
Bulldogboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:44 am

Bulldogboy wrote:look up acf 50 aircraft lubricant / corrosion inhibitor, approved for electrical connections and wiring looms , did a post on here before about it, its a great water repellent, my alternator used to do it till I covered it in acf 50, just don't get it on yer belts. I covered my whole engine bay in it including the ecu, which really cleverly is always covered in water. ridiculous how ford have allowed water ingress in the engine bay!

I was using acf50 on my sons car yesterday... didn’t think to use it on my alternator as I was worried about the already slipping belt getting contaminated.... my ECU is totally covered in it.......i’ll Carefully do the alternator today.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Bulldogboy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:03 pm

It has a creeping effect so you dont need tons of it, worked for me.
Bulldogboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom