*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fuel gauge anomoly???fuel addative.

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Fuel gauge anomoly???fuel addative.

Postby Bulldogboy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:36 pm

Ran a fuel additive called Liqui-moly diesel purge which was recommended to me by someone who was raving about it.Read the reviews ,over 40 of them and they all gave it 5 stars, raving about how good it was.S0 thought id try some in my transit custom 155 ps 2013 plate, 50,000 on the clock. It was a right noisy engine on start up and hunted on idle, first tank with the additive didn't seem amazing , just like adding redex, more responsive, slightly smoother, bit quieter. after first tank run through filled up again with just diesel, and crikey oreily,its like ive had a remap or something! engine quiet as anything on start up, and while running, loads more responsive, totally eliminated uneven hunting at idle, seemed to accelerate longer in each gear, all round its like a new van. BUT, and heres the weird bit, my fuel consumption has gone up.Previously when I filled up the gauge needle wouldn't move until id done 60/70 miles, and by the time id got to the halfway point of the gauge it would have done 250 miles,almost every time, and id get 400 to 450 ish miles out of a tank, but now from full to halfway I only get 200 miles, filled up again at the halfway point, and the same! still running 3rd full tank down so don't know total mileage yet. My mate reckons the sensor may of been sticking in the tank, previously giving me an inaccurate reading, and that maybe the addative has freed up the tank sensor that's why its reading different?? id be interested to hear what others get out of a tank of fuel in a 155ps .And if any techhys out there would have any ideas as to why my fuel economy has gone down, very puzzleing! additives are supposed to give slightly better fuel economy, answers on a postcard!
Bulldogboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Fuel gauge anomoly???fuel addative.

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:45 pm

:? I get 500 miles at least init

64 sport btw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Bulldogboy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:04 am

Ive had 500 miles on a few occaisions, but that's when I'm driving miss daisy! most of the time its 400 odd miles but I don't run it down to bugger all.i have got my roofrack on risers due to having a tailgate, bet that doesn't help.Could I have a faulty sensor, and its just pur co-incidence that I put the additive in? Ive always found the distance till empty on the display to be pure fantasy, as it was on my mark 7.
Bulldogboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigjohnthomas » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:23 am

Mayhaps your right foot is the problem :lol:
My van is just used on the motorway for going to shows now and its gone down to 32mpg but that's with cruise set to 76 mph
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Bulldogboy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:19 am

I did think that it may be my right foot! but it is a marked difference ... before, and after the additive was added. No diesel leaks, brakes not binding, tyres properly inflated, weird.
Bulldogboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:51 am

You probably had a partially block injector or 2. Plenty of videos on the tube showing before and after treatment of injectors. They are supposed to spray the diesel but as the crap clogs the nozzle it’s more of a jet. Similar to a scaled up shower head.

My guess is that you’ve now got 4 nicely working injectors and your consumption has reflected this.

Just a guess tho :wink:
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:33 am

S60r wrote:Just a guess tho :wink:

A spot on guess IMO. Fuel additives won’t make a noticeable difference unless you have a problem with your engine.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Bulldogboy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:03 am

Thanks for the replys guys, that sounds totally reasible to me, been driving today, and it is genuinely like a new van,total night and day to before i added the additive .As i said i dont think my fuel economy will be great as ive got an ulti bar rack on risers to allow for tailgate, with ladders on 24/7 so it does stick up more than a normal rack.Spose that would explain it if 1 or2 injectors were blocked and less fuel was getting sprayed,and then all of a sudden more. Will the crud that was freed up still be in the system somewhere with the risk of it ending up back in the injectors?
Bulldogboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S60r » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:05 am

No. Any crud on the injectors can’t come back around again.... from the injector nozzle the next stop is a very hot explosion. Crud will always come back though over time just not the same crud. The fuels we use vary a lot and there is build up in your tank, fuel filters and fuel lines. It’s worth using injector cleaner every few tanks if you have experienced an improvement. Just to keep them sweet.

I popped some through mine yesterday, just to see what 5 quids worth of wynns injector cleaner did. Just mixed it with a quick 20 litres worth in an empty tank.

I was averageing 28 for the previous tank, after 60 miles it’s now at 32 and feels very lively on pick up.... mine is already remapped.... I’m convinced all diesel injectors get gummed up, especially with the supermarket fuel I use often. All my nearest garages are bloody supermarkets. I also add 2 stroke oil to my tank occasionally to keep it quiet and smooth.

I think we all suffer from cruddy injectors to some extent.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:21 am

S60r wrote: I also add 2 stroke oil to my tank occasionally to keep it quiet and smooth.

I think we all suffer from cruddy injectors to some extent.

Did you see this, it could explain your ‘cruddy injectors’?

keithcheetham wrote:South African test cell results, in which European spec diesel was also utilised:-
http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oi ... -study.php

Conclusions
Based on the results of this study, the following conclusions are drawn:
•At a 200:1 volumetric blending ratio, 2-stroke oil has a negligible effect on diesel lubricity.
•All diesel fuel sold in South Africa has to meet the SANS 342:2014 lubricity specification to ensure the proper protection of diesel fuel pumps and injector systems.
•The low sulphur diesel products sold by Sasol contain lubricity improver additives which are far more effective than 2-stroke oil.
•At a 200:1 volumetric blending ratio, 2-stroke oil has a negligible effect on diesel cetane number.
•No measurable effect on all other regulated diesel properties was measured at a 200:1 dose of 2-stroke oil in diesel.
•2-stroke oil can contain around 16ppm zinc, or higher depending on the formulation and batch.
•Trace amounts of zinc in diesel are known to rapidly accelerate injector nozzle deposits.
•Engine test results show that a 200:1 blend of 2-stroke oil in diesel results in a 2% loss of engine power in a 16 hour test due to injector fouling, a risk that would apply to any common rail diesel engine, but could also worsen fouling in older engines.
•Vehicles fitted with a diesel particulate filter (DPF) in the exhaust system could experience reduced DPF life due to the collection of ash and metal based contaminants in the filter over time with the continued use of 2-stroke oil.

The abovementioned results should hopefully clear up many of the public misconceptions around the use of 2-stroke oil in diesel and highlight why both oil companies & engine manufacturers do not recommend the addition of any after-market additives, ie. 2-stroke oil, to the fuel tank. It is also good advice to use fuels from reputable outlets backed up by the technical support of a competent fuel company to enable the best engine performance and durability.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby S60r » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:21 am

Yes that would explain it Mike! May be leaving it out from now on....

Mine are definitely clean now! Big thumbs up for Wynns diesel injector cleaner.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Bulldogboy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:11 am

I remember weve had this two stroke conversation before, i liked the idea but didnt run it because id read about the d.p.f getting clogged, i know there are low ash 2 stroke oils out there ,but a d.p.f is a pricey item, my mechanic said they cost up tp £1200 quid on some vehicles! As soon as i heard that i ran a wynns dpf cleaner, whether it did any good i dont know , could the crap freed upfrom the dpf have blocked my injectors? So based on that report, the dpf part and the risk of clogged injectors will you still run 2 stroke?
Bulldogboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom