*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gearbox jumps out of 1st gear when pulling away!

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Gearbox jumps out of 1st gear when pulling away!

Postby Tomsurrey » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Hello... the gearbox on a 2013 Transit Custom van jumps out of 1st gear when pulling away... otherwise all the other gears are working ok... any ideas? If it was the syncro on the 1st gear then it would not engage properly but when I select 1st from a standstill it goes in fine... it's just when I try to drive away it SUDDENLY BANGS out of 1st gear.

Any ideas please??

regards - Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Gearbox jumps out of 1st gear when pulling away!

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:05 pm

You could read this :wink: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=180973
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Tomsurrey » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:33 am

Hello and thanks for taking the time to do the search... BUT, haha, that was my post back then... I was hoping that a fresh post might bring my son some good news and luck as to whats causing this annoying problem.

Anyone have an idea as to what the solution is???

Thanks...
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:43 pm

You don't have to make a new post to bring the topic to the top :wink: just reply to your original one :) It saves people answering the same question twice.Your gearbox may need to be dismantled to find the cause :(
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Tomsurrey » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:01 am

Hi and sorry about that! I'll make sure I don't do that again.. so... on with my search I guess??

Cheers - Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:11 pm

No need to apologise it just makes it easier for yourself :)
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Tomsurrey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Hi, need to try something - I want to drain my son's gearbox and use some oil to flush it through, (I'll film it and post on youtube), then empty that and fill be a top quality gearbox oil... just to see if that clears the problem as I had a similar problem in my X Type Jags gearbox some years ago and it's still working brill... so,

1 - As I have hunted for a manual for the van, and cannot find one I need to get hold of some details of my son's Ford Transit's Custom gearbox - just to make sure as to what I'm doing...

2 - What would you use to flush through a gearbox of this type?

3 - What's the best gearbox oil for this van? And....

4 - What sort of 'additive' could I put in to the gearbox along with the gearbox oil?

You see, when I had my X Type's gearbox oil changed the first time nothing changed - it was only when I asked them, on an MOT, to do it again, and they didn't think it would work, that I asked them to add an additive with the gearbox oil - after the second oil change my gearbox woke up and no problem, (it was 2nd gear that was the problem - it wouldn't go in properly - or not at all!), with it since then - and that's some 5 years ago as I still have the car!

I feel the grearbox, on my son's van, could be clogged up - nevertheless, I want to do a change / flush and fill with an additive.

Any suggestions / help would be great!

Cheers - Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Chug » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:45 pm

I don't know about these gearboxes but a common cause of jumping out of gear is a broken detent spring, in some cases its possible to remove the top of the gearbox and replace them without dismantling the gearbox, but with some gearboxes its a stripdown.

The detent spring is what holds the selector rod in position in each selected gear.

QUOTE:
A ball detent is a simple mechanical arrangement used to hold a moving part in a temporarily fixed position relative to another part. Usually the moving parts slide with respect to each other, or one part rotates within the other.

The ball is a single, usually metal sphere, sliding within a bored cylinder, against the pressure of a spring, which pushes the ball against the other part of the mechanism, which carries the detent - which can be as simple as a hole of smaller diameter than the ball. When the hole is in line with the cylinder, the ball falls partially into the hole under spring pressure, holding the parts at that position. Additional force applied to the moving parts will push the ball back into its cylinder, compressing the spring, and allowing the parts to move to another position.

Ball detents are commonly found in the selector mechanism of a gearbox, holding the selector rods in the correct position to engage the desired gear.
ENDQUOTE:

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_detent
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Tomsurrey » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:25 am

Hello Chuggy! Thanks for the reply! It sounds like you're right..., (what, can you open the top of the gearbox while it's in situ without removing it from the van???). The thing is, I had a real problem getting my X Type into 2nd gear, yes, I joined a Jag forum and all sorts of ideas came out... but - someone kept saying... 'change the gearbox oil'... in the end I did this and nothing changed... then on another MOT I said, to their dismay, to change it again and add an additive, which they really didn't like the idea of and warned me but I had had enough of not putting the Jag into 2nd gear. After the second oil change my gearbox is amazing, (hope someone with an X Type, or similar gearbox, is reading this!!).

The thing is Chuggy, WHY is it that when my son pulls away, in 1st gear, it BANGS out of gear BUT... if he comes to a stop, say at the traffic lights, and then slips it into 1st from say 2nd or 3rd gear... then when the lights change it pulls away as normal... WHY? If it is that ball bearing thats the problem then wouldn't this problem happen every time my son uses 1st gear? That's whats confusing to me. I do feel really sorry for him as he works hard, at sparking, and he thought that Fords Custom Transit would be a good bet, (and I would tell ANYONE to avoid them as their security is a JOKE), but he's been let down by a poorly designed gearbox. Over the years I have had many vans and cars and never had a problem, (Ah, just remembered 30 years ago - I had an old van that didn't have, haha, a reverse gear but that was a cheap fix), so what's going on these days when you'd think that Ford, of all people, would have a reliable gearbox? The vans NOT cheap either and it's on a 13 plate and this problem started over a year ago!! Shame on Fords!!

So, I'll look into this and see what I can find... thanks again for the feedback!!

regards - Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby p2thed » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Done lots of 1st and 2nd gear jump out kits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby p2thed » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 pm

List of req parts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tomsurrey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:30 am

WOW! What would you suggest my sons next move would be? Would he take the van to you or contact Fords direct?

Well done and thanks for this!

What to do next...?

regards - Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby p2thed » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:28 pm

I would contact Ford customer services first and ask for goodwill if its out of warranty due to being a kown fault, he may get somthing.
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tomsurrey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:51 am

Hi, yes - I phoned them a few weeks ago and they said take it to their workshop, at our expense... I guess that's his only option now.

Thanks for the replies!

regards - Tom
Tomsurrey
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom