*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Service light after 20 miles from new?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Service light after 20 miles from new?

Postby Micromouseuk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi All,

Just picked up my 18 plate custom, love it!!!, but hit the motorway and had several instances of the service light coming on with a loss of power, 6 times in 20 miles (at 60-70mph) Each time it cleared after a few minutes.

Seen a lot of mentions of injector corroding issues on new vans, is this it?

Spoke to dealer and booked in Wednesday for them to have a look - is there anything else they should be doing, or any advice as to what I should do/ask/demand?

I know the van was sitting on the forecourt for a while, and they said the PDI had already been done.

Many thanks in advance

Wayne
Micromouseuk

Re: Service light after 20 miles from new?

Postby V184 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:43 pm

i would want another van or a full refund considering its only done 20 miles
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby blue estate » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:55 pm

V184 wrote:i would want another van or a full refund considering its only done 20 miles

Same here , return van
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:36 pm

That's an absolute insult having to wait till Wednesday and you only after collecting it :evil: Leave it where it is and let them collect it :idea: Name and shame them :wink: A customer of mine bought a new Vito travelled a mile down the road and the gearbox exploded.
He called the garage and they collected it at 11.30 am a half an hour after he called them while he was standing beside it.He went back to the dealer at 4.30 pm and enquired with the salesman who told him it had just arrived in :roll: He asked for the keys of the Vivaro he traded in so he could get something he had let in it and sailed off into the sunset with no more about it :idea: :)
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Micromouseuk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:57 pm

I’ll speak to them Monday, no codes are showing at the moment, and I’ll give them a chance to fix any issues. A chance I said. Just one. Then it’s name and shame and the full works
Micromouseuk

Postby Micromouseuk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:04 pm

It will be interesting as we have already informed DVLA that the trade in vehicle was scrapped
Micromouseuk

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:33 am

V184 wrote:i would want another van or a full refund considering its only done 20 miles

You can “WANT” all you like, but until you’ve given them an opportunity to fix it they’re perfectly within their rights to tell you to jog on.

Micromouseuk wrote:I’ll speak to them Monday, no codes are showing at the moment, and I’ll give them a chance to fix any issues. A chance I said. Just one. Then it’s name and shame and the full works

You’ll have to give them an opportunity to fix the vehicle, that may mean giving them more than one chance.

This assumes that you own the vehicle, if it’s on some sort of finance it can be a world of pain as you don’t have the same rights as if you own it. Also, speak to the salesman, if he’s any good he’ll be keen to avoid any bad feeling......especially if the sales office is busy :mrgreen:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby khould » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:34 am

No you don’t, in the first 30 days a full refund or new van can be insisted on.
As for if you don’t own it, if finance or lease they have more arm strength than an individual so you have more power not less and your rights are exactly the same
Check the consumer rights act

Kev

Mike wrote:

You can “WANT” all you like, but until you’ve given them an opportunity to fix it they’re perfectly within their rights to tell you to jog on.

Micromouseuk wrote:I’ll speak to them Monday, no codes are showing at the moment, and I’ll give them a chance to fix any issues. A chance I said. Just one. Then it’s name and shame and the full works

You’ll have to give them an opportunity to fix the vehicle, that may mean giving them more than one chance.

This assumes that you own the vehicle, if it’s on some sort of finance it can be a world of pain as you don’t have the same rights as if you own it. Also, speak to the salesman, if he’s any good he’ll be keen to avoid any bad feeling......especially if the sales office is busy :mrgreen:
khould
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:35 pm

You're right, I didn't realise that the sale of goods act had been replaced.

The new Consumer Rights Act 2015 will replace the Sales of Goods Act on 1 October 2015.

New rights have been given to the consumer and it is important you understand them. Your customer now has the right to reject a vehicle within 30 days of purchase without you being given any opportunity to repair. After 30 days you have the right to repair however the customer can reject if the first repair is unsuccessful, or should another fault occur.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby V184 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:30 pm

khould wrote:No you don’t, in the first 30 days a full refund or new van can be insisted on.
As for if you don’t own it, if finance or lease they have more arm strength than an individual so you have more power not less and your rights are exactly the same
Check the consumer rights act

Kev

Mike wrote:

Thats the way i understood it :mrgreen:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby khould » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:43 pm

Write them a letter telling them your are rejecting the van on the grounds it has an inherent fault.
Either get your money back or get them to order another van for you.

Kev
khould
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:10 pm

khould wrote:Write them a letter telling them your are rejecting the van on the grounds it has an inherent fault.
Either get your money back or get them to order another van for you.

Kev

Get them to order it from another dealer who treats their customers with respect .
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Let’s see what happens :mrgreen:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:47 pm

Mike wrote:Let’s see what happens :mrgreen:

He could hand the dealer with a copy while he still can :wink: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/c ... dex_en.htm
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Micromouseuk » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:54 am

The result is it’s the injectors issue (they say they have never seen a failure on a van this new). Parts are being ordered and they are going to call me when they are in. Overall they have been very apologetic and professional.
Micromouseuk

Next

Return to Transit Custom