*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Custom retrofit OEM Canbus tow bar Wiring

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Transit Custom retrofit OEM Canbus tow bar Wiring

Postby Agriv8 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:53 pm

First post so go easy

After 3 months of ownership the 14 plate Transit Custom Double cab Limited spec needs a tow bar fitting can sort the spannering side but the electrics are causing me to scratch my head had a quick serch on here but could not seem to find a definitive answer..

I have procured a custom loom, canbus type, 7 pin trailer connector from ebay believed to be OEM Part.

I Fitted one to my Cmax a couple of years ago and laying the wires in the boot it was quite obvious that in 'Interfaced' to the car in the NS boot so no major problem working this out.

So the Transit tow bar loom is about 18 foot long so could just about reach anywhere !

Q1 where do I terminate the Ring Earth
Q2 where does the Green can bus connector connect
Q3 where does the 12V + feed connect to
Q4 where does the wiring Gromit pass through to the underside of the van

Any help appreciated or points in the right direction

Thanks in Advance Agriv8
Agriv8
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Transit Custom retrofit OEM Canbus tow bar Wiring

Postby DrDeAtH » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Download the BEMM from the ford etis site. It shows the routing there.
If you can't find it one of us should be able to mail a copy over.
Pages 73-78
DrDeAtH
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Agriv8 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:51 pm

hi Dr death got it had to register account at Ford Etis but that seemed to work ok, Bemm document has lots of use-full info so saved this for later.

Maybe I can understand the angle right ( and its a bit dark for being under the van at this time of night )

but is the Can bus box in the front of the passenger step 'Cut out'

Many thanks for your Help

Agriv8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Agriv8
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby pid » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:50 am

It's dead easy if you have the plug and play box.

Remove the passenger side b pillar trim and the step. I used the hole already there just removed the paint for the earth.

There's plenty of places to cable tie the cable underneath the van and I just coiled it up where I could.
pid

Postby se7en » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:48 am

I believe all the factory fit tow bar electrics are the 13pin euro socket, not 7 pin. that's what mine has, Just be careful fitting aftermarket tow bar electrics, see Jinx's post march 7th, "help and advise" , also, the CAN BUS will send all sorts of "alerts " if not installed correctly . I think someone posted something on this forum sometime ago saying that once the tow bar electric were installed, the van electrics /CAN BUS had to be "activated" by a ford dealer, I don't know if that's so, I'm sure someone on this forum may know more, however, its worth finding out.
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom