*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ice pack 9

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Ice pack 9

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:59 am

cowasaki wrote:
Mike wrote:
cowasaki wrote:
So I need that too?

Is the wiring already in the van or is that the next job?

Yes you’ll need that too. As for the wiring, it may well be there in a Limited or even a Trend, it could even be canbus based.

As the stereo is used in other vehicles too and is pioneer I would expect that there is a video in socket and a socket to detect reverse. That would mean ground, 12v, video and video ground. Although I haven’t got the van or camera yet. I’ll ask them about the trim round the number plate.

Yeah right you know these plug things
There must be one that plugs into the steering wheel too because it shows you where you are going too to too
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cowasaki » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:04 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:[quot.e="cowasaki"]
Mike wrote:
cowasaki wrote:
So I need that too?

Is the wiring already in the van or is that the next job?

Yes you’ll need that too. As for the wiring, it may well be there in a Limited or even a Trend, it could even be canbus based.

As the stereo is used in other vehicles too and is pioneer I would expect that there is a video in socket and a socket to detect reverse. That would mean ground, 12v, video and video ground. Although I haven’t got the van or camera yet. I’ll ask them about the trim round the number plate.[/q.uote]

Yeah right you know these plug things
There must be one that plugs into the steering wheel too because it shows you where you are going too to too

??

If the stereo is a standard stereo usable in alternative setups then there is every possibility that there is a video socket. If not it doesn't matter as I can either get it setup using works equipment or use a rear view mirror thing. Having not seen the back of it yet I don't actually know. Wiring is my thing though see below :)
I've rebuilt a Defender, several motorcycles and quite a bit to both a Mk6 & 7 Transit. Now bought a new Custom and just doing a few small bits to it.

Cowasaki's electrical tutorials: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166595
cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:07 pm

It shows you where your going there's lines on the screen that move when you move the steering wheel
Your gonna need some extra wires
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cowasaki » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:22 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:It shows you where your going there's lines on the screen that move when you move the steering wheel
Your gonna need some extra wires

The camera has just arrived and it basically has pos, neg and a standard phono video plug! So it will no doubt plug into the stereo BUT there must be in input from the loom for that....

So IF the stereo's display is compatible which it should be then the wiring to the stereo should be simple.

HOWEVER..... The van's brain might need telling that there is a video camera in order to send the extra information though......
I've rebuilt a Defender, several motorcycles and quite a bit to both a Mk6 & 7 Transit. Now bought a new Custom and just doing a few small bits to it.

cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:32 pm

cowasaki wrote:So IF the stereo's display is compatible which it should be then the wiring to the stereo should be simple.

HOWEVER..... The van's brain might need telling that there is a video camera in order to send the extra information though......

I doubt that your video camera will work with the Ford ‘brain’, you’ll probably be better off keeping both systems separate.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby cowasaki » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Mike wrote:
cowasaki wrote:So IF the stereo's display is compatible which it should be then the wiring to the stereo should be simple.

I doubt that your video camera will work with the Ford ‘brain’, you’ll probably be better off keeping both systems separate.

The Ford stereo is a standard Pioneer stereo with an alternative front. This is a standard Pioneer video camera designed specifically for the same stereo. Overlaying the lines etc will be done by the actual stereo. The most it will do is get an input from the van as to the wheels (I didn't know it overlaid the direction of the wheels, which does appear a little pointless but we will see).

Hopefully I'll get the van tomorrow.

cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:12 pm

cowasaki wrote:I didn't know it overlaid the direction of the wheels, which does appear a little pointless but we will see.

It shows the expected track of the van, one of those things that you don’t know you need until you’ve tried it. A bit like heated seats.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby cowasaki » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Mike wrote:
cowasaki wrote:I didn't know it overlaid the direction of the wheels, which does appear a little pointless but we will see.

It shows the expected track of the van, one of those things that you don’t know you need until you’ve tried it. A bit like heated seats.

If I get it working, which I hope to do, I will post a list of all the parts with prices and full instructions. We will see but if I can't link it with the stereo I will probably build a switch with a camera at the top and have an electronic rear view mirror that becomes a reversing mirror when it's in reverse.

cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bigjohnthomas » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:29 pm

It's only part of the mirror btw
Less than half I would tink
Rearview mirrors are for ladies you know
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cowasaki » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:26 pm

bigjohnthomas wrote:It's only part of the mirror btw
Less than half I would tink
Rearview mirrors are for ladies you know

I drive a van at work but if it makes it easier for my wife or daughter to drive without dinging it then all the better!

cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cowasaki » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:08 pm

Well the parts list for the rear camera assembly (as per Ford) is as follows:

1855438 Lamp assy - licence plate 80.99+vat
1802342 Kit - Housing 14.49+vat
1822483 Camera Assy 166.43+vat

£314.29 inc

Now the camera I have bought doesn't seem to match the one above so that can go back leaving just the above three items. The parts bloke says that more likely than not the wiring will be there to fit the camera but he's not sure. My van has been delayed so still don't actually have it to check anything yet.

cowasaki
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Is it cheaper to retrofit rather than have it included :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Veki007 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:26 pm

Altransit wrote:Is it cheaper to retrofit rather than have it included :?:
I think that it was about 300including but again is connected to 8" screen

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous