*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New here - Door ajar warning

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

New here - Door ajar warning

Postby Ex-Transporter » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:37 pm

Hello all,

I've been a Transit custom owner for all of three days, having part exchanged my Transporter for an Ex-Hilti Transit Custom Limited spec - it seems to have every single option going and is a massive step up from my old van - I didn't even have a readout of outside temp in that!!

Anyway - I have just one issue that's really bugging me: The rear door ajar warning keeps throwing a wobbly....

When the back doors are open, the dash correctly says the doors are open.
If I close them, the dash again correctly says that the back doors are shut, however if I then lock the doors from the interior button (or with auto lock as the van pulls away) the dash goes into one, saying the back doors are open. If I press the unlock button, the warning goes off. Obviously, the doors have stayed shut throughout...

My suspicion is that the microswitch within the lock mechanism is not working correctly, but I guess it could also be a wiring issue between the lock and the BCM.

Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so, how did you sort it, or, does anyone know what I should be getting if I continuity check the three 'status' pins on the lock mechanism when it's opened/closed/locked?

Any help gratefully appreciated before I spend too much money or time on it!!
Ex-Transporter

Re: New here - Door ajar warning

Postby loot » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi Ex, I have the same van :-) they do have lots of add ons etc, hopefully nothing in the way of the fault you have.

Rear door ajar switch is brown/violet colour and is at the bcm listed as 50.

You can ground it to bypass the whole lot but it shouldn't be faulty really as it is so new, but if a wire has been pinched while installing the interior etc then that may explain it, you can probably feed a new cable through if there is a break.

Or take it back under warranty.

Got any pics of your van? I'd be interested to see you're it compares with mine :P

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=172399
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Ex-Transporter » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:46 pm

Hello Loot, thanks for the reply!

Check the old girl out here:
https://www.onlinevancarandbus.com/cars ... r/175127/0
I'm well chuffed with her!

In terms of the back door - there are three wires thicker wires and three thinner wires - the thick wires seem to work the lock, while the thin wires appear to be the 'lock status' wires - don't all three status wires go back to the BCM?

It's fairly clear that someone else has already been in here as the plastic sealing sheet on the door inner has been cut back and one of the threads in the metal bracket that holds the lock to the door has been partially stripped.... :( The part number of the lock currently fitted is BK21-V43288-AL - pretty well all the lock mechanisms I've looked at on breakers websites are BK21-V43288-AK. I'm tempted to pop to the main dealer to make sure we actually have the right lock!

I'm suspecting the lock more than the wiring at this point as the fault is fairly binary - if the lock is activated, the dash reports an open door, if the lock is de-activated, it goes off - I'd expect a wiring fault to be slightly more hit and miss?

Do you have any idea if it is possible to establish what continuity I should be seeing between the three pins on the lock in open, closed and locked states?

Thanks for any further pointers you can offer!
Ex-Transporter

Postby loot » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:31 pm

Identical to mine Lol have you foot the inverter and the extra alternator underneath? I was wondering if the 2 tracks on the floor were for like a cupboard/chest that pulls out but I guess if so they'd have taken yours out too?

I've started removing the racking, it's super cool but of no use to me :-( tried selling it and although I suspect it is worth a fair bit I don't think many ppl want it :-(

Anyway back to you, if you send me your gmail address I'll send you the wiring diagram for the back doors.

The sequence on these is bidirectional so you don't have dedicated positive and negative it kind of floats iirc.

So the locking mechanism works like one motor lock, 2 motors double lock reverse power open :-)
Then the ajar is literally a ground to the bcm which tells the speedo.

You could have damaged wiring going to the back door, you could have a screw somewhere.

Bcm signals can cause temperamental happenings because the bcm gets grounded from each switch and then it sends a logic live to it's output.

But yes I think you may be on to something with the mechanism but I really doubt they will be different tbh ones just superseded I think, maybe the mechanism is just broken?.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Ex-Transporter » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:33 pm

You're a Gent - PM on its way.....

To be honest, I'm really torn in terms of what to do with mine - my intention was to keep the power, but get rid of all the racking, but it really does seem too useful to ditch. I just need a good idea to realise the potential!! That said I really do need to find a way of getting 8x4 sheets in to it some how....

I don't really know what is what with the electrical side of things - I haven't had chance to have a proper play yet, I certainly didn't realise there was an additional alternator - I need to check that as the start stop hasn't worked yet....

It looks like there are two invertors in it - the big black one on top of the 'wardrobe' and another hidden in the racking just infront of the rear wheel arch. I know I need the isolator on the bulkhead in for the strip lights in the back to work, but haven't gotten any further. The only other bit I've found is a green push button by the OBD connector - dunno what that's for either...!

I think the tracks in the floor are for these things:
http://fourby.co.uk/epages/950004277.mo ... cale=en_GB

Will most likely be buying some of them!

Thanks for your help on this one - there's a pint in Stoke on Trent with your name on it!!
Ex-Transporter

Postby Frag » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:40 pm

This may sound strange,are you sure it's not the sliding side door ?
We have lots of problems with the side door pin switch in rear of frame being damaged or centre pin coming out and missing,
Confusion being,I'm fairly sure the cluster displays it,and even datalogger as 'nsr door' not side door...
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Ex-Transporter » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Frag, I'm going to have a bit of time on it this weekend (weather and wife permitting). Having seen the wiring diagram, I have a sneaking suspicion that I know what's wrong, but I'll report back once I've had a proper look....
Ex-Transporter

Postby Ex-Transporter » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Fixed it!

With a substantial amount of help from the wiring diagram, it quickly became apparent that the earth to the door lock was duff - While there was continuity, the resistance back to the earth studs just inside the back door frame was high.

I've laid a new earth wire in from the earth stud, and soldered by the connector in the door - a bit of heat shrink and tape later and she's spot on! I'm not sure exactly where the damage to the wire is - I couldn't see anything obvious, but this is apparently the same earth used by the park sensors and they have been fine so hopefully it's sorted now. I guess at worst, the cables are beginning to fatigue where they flex between the body and the door and sooner or later, I'll be piggy backing a few more!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help to sort it - I'm well chuffed!
Ex-Transporter

Postby loot » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:42 pm

Sounds like a result :-) so it is fully functional in all aspects of operation then? Sweet :-)
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Back.bone.brit » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:24 pm

Hi ex transporter I am in same boat can you tell me in detail please to wich wire you exactly put a new earth to?
Back.bone.brit

Return to Transit Custom