*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Custom with 'proper' Towbar electrics

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Custom with 'proper' Towbar electrics

Postby davidjpowell » Wed May 02, 2018 9:55 pm

My towbar was not factory fit, but was fitted by dealer before I collected the van. I think some shortcuts have been taken - over and above that it was supposed to be removable and is definitely not removable...

I would like to check the fuses - but a) there seem to be loads related to the Trailer module, and b) I'm not sure how the hell I am to remove the fuse - even if I can identify the correct one...
davidjpowell
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby davidjpowell » Tue May 15, 2018 8:57 pm

I eventually gave in and bought a 13 pin tester... Which proved that the 12v ignition feed was not working.

Dealer sent his towbar chap around who spotted he had not fitted it. He was busy telling me how new cars often do not have this feed due to smart alternators. Basically he was talking bollocks and we were close to falling out...

Unfortunately for him he then discovered the loom had the wiring, and he should have connected it. Having now done so all is nearly well.

He tells me that that parking sensors don't auto switch off (don't believe him), and there still appears to be no recognition that the caravan is attached. I suspect the van needs the software updating...
davidjpowell
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Frag » Tue May 15, 2018 11:36 pm

Factory fit towbar on ford ranger,the 12v feeds for split charge and fridge,do not work,and are not wired from the factory.
Not tried a custom so can't comment,it should show trailer and disable rear parking aid tho,and cut rear fogs on van I'd assume when towing.
Frag
Ford Technician

Previous

Return to Transit Custom