*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New Shape Custom auto 130 or 170?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: New Shape Custom auto 130 or 170?

Postby ryandavis » Fri May 25, 2018 10:25 pm

davidjpowell wrote:I've actually achieved it today.... 42 mpg....

But I've only achieved that as I had an unusually quiet day with just one inspection in London. 60 mph all the way down and back. Going to 70 kills it.

Personally I think the auto box needs another cog... It's running at about 2,300 revs - feels like it should be 2,000...

ah wow looks like it can be done :o I find that in most vans that going 70 just kills the mpg haha.

no dought that ford will upgrade to a 7 speed auto in a few years just to temp us to upgrade haha
ryandavis
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ryandavis » Fri May 25, 2018 10:34 pm

I went and had a test drive of a 17 plate 170 auto the other day in magnetic grey, been thinking I could save a few quid by not getting the facelift and getting one thats only been used for a year..... I won't have to wait for it to be built too! I couldn't agree a price with ford so im still searching for one 8)
ryandavis
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FRY600d » Thu May 31, 2018 9:46 pm

HI I HAVE JUST DONE THE NORTH COAST 500 IN MINE.BLOODY LOVED IT NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.130 IS WHAT I HAVE SEEMS PLENTY POWERFUL ENOUGH FOR ME.
FRY600d

Postby athlon70 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:18 am

se7en wrote:Also, if you don't need the double passenger seat, consider ordering the van with a single passenger seat, much more comfortable, with the double seat, nether passengers feet line up with the foot well, so they tend to sit twisted , really uncomfortable on a longish trip.

Yes, I found this out today when i went to test drive one. Terrible design flaw, especially in Australia as we only get the bench seat version. Apart from that deal breaker, the vehicle was better built than both the VW Transporter and the Renault Traffic. I'm really disappointed i can't get one now.
athlon70

Postby Cobradj » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:57 pm

We have Tourneo Custom 130 auto.
Be aware that the gearbox final drive makes the engine rev much higher than the manual box so its not as relaxed at motorway speed. Never realised until we drove a manual loan van whilst ours was in once again for warranty work.
I do not find the 130 gutless, but then I am over 50 !!. However the mpg is awful in my opinion, we overall average around 32 with a lot of very mixed driving. Could get into the 40s if you stick to 60 on motorway trips. That is not loaded up, except for seats. A recent 900 mile relaxed holiday tour gave us 35 avge
The gearbox is not as smooth as the PR suggests, we had a powershift in a Volvo which was sublime. Its a sort of hybrid semi auto clutch and torque converter as I understand, and I find it gets confused a fair bit, making half changes where it puts the power through in a number of stages and makes things a bit jerky - this can depend on the load you have in the car as it has some self learning intelligence allegedly.

BTW, anyone elses pull to the left all the time - mine does/has and Ford have not yet been able to fix it.
Cobradj

Previous

Return to Transit Custom